Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I keep telling her how awesome the Palm Pre is and how it can multitask and all that and she refutes me by stating the following (and since I don't really know any iPhone users, I'll leave it up to you guys to tell me if she's right or wrong)

1) She says that when the WiFi is OFF, the iPhone can BOTH talk during a call and say, use the internet browser using just the 3G. When we tried turning off the Wifi on the Pre, making a call, talking through it, and then at the same time, opening up a browser, it wouldn't. So say you're at the beach, no WiFi spots, someone calls you up and want to go to a restaurant, she's saying you can check your browser (while remaining on the call)

2) She says that iPhone can multitask for a wide range of applications, like for IM services, since the IM is always running in the background, technically, it's multi tasking so say you're on the browser and checking stuff, and someone IM's you, the little messaging icon will blink/notify you.

Any clarifications would help a lot. THANKS!
    1. Network limitation. Can't happen on cdma pre can on gsm.

2. Iphone can multitask with a small selected apple apps music player is an example. It can be "jailbroke" and have true multitasking.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here.

for the record I like the pre and webos more than the iphone.
    girls are always right, you will never win an argument. Give up resistance is futile
    The iPhone has notifications, but that's all they are. If she wants to respond to them she has to close out of any app she is in and open that app to deal with it. The Pre opens it's apps in separate cards, allowing you to do all you need to do by simply moving between your open apps. The iPhone doesn't multitask in this manner, it runs one app at a time, and gives notifications when other need attention.
    Put simply, your girlfriend is uninformed. Have her try this:

Tell your girlfriend to fire up Pandora. Then tell her to do anything else on the Phone, like send a text or go on the internet. Make sure she notices that Pandora stops playing and she has to do whatever she needs to do, then re-open Pandora just to keep listening. Or try and have her open a game and then send a text, watch her wait as she has to close each app and then reopen it.
    Now take your Pre, open any game, then open pandora, then open your messaging app, then switch between then quickly and make sure she notices that multitasking. Really all you have to do is SHOW people what the Pre can do, then most of the time they are like: " Oh yeah, that is pretty cool". BTW I have Grooveshark, Twitter and a GBA game open while I am writing this.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    She is correct on both counts but keep this in mind.

1. iphone is on at&t, they use gsm and you can use data and talk at the same time. However in my opinion gsm is kinda old tech... Its not because its a iphone its the network.

2. Yeah... you "can" multitask on a iphone, but the functionality is quite different. Technically it is multitasking, buuuttttt...... compared with the pre WebOS... hardly..

Also keep this in mind, WebOS is in its first generation, iphone is in its like... 3rd I believe? CDMA is a far superior network then GSM. You can only take a GSM network so far before your going to have to upgrade it to something else. I've had a 3G phone on gsm before and its nothing special compared to EVDO Rev-A (3g for cdma) or now even 4G on sprint and coming to verizon. The thing in my opinion that kills the iphone is GSM.... oh yeah and no flash on iphone..... ever..... haha apple and adobe don't play nice anymore and well if your girl wants to be missing out on ALL flash content on the web which I think is a BIG deal then let her keep her Iphone... while your doing cool **** on your phone she can talk and I guess browse the internet on her phone.

I have yet to need that function, I think its a very very small detail not needed... for me at least.

P.S. if you need any more ammo pm me I debate iphone users all the time and they usually leave in a suttering rage.
    thumbs up for amistak. Great argument. It's silly that she is even trying to defend iphones multitasking. Maybe if she had a droid but still, when it comes to doing more than one thing at once, pre is second to none
    iPhone has Pandora. So does the Pre. The both have web browsers.

Fire up Pandora and then try surfing the internet. iPhone stops playing the music because it has to close Pandora to open the web browser.

Fire up a 3D game on the iPhone and the Pre. An urgent text message comes in. You deal with it right away and get back to your game. On iPhone you have to relaunch the game and you start from your LAST checkpoint. On the Pre you continue right from where you left off, reaching the NEXT check point moments after restarting.

On the iPhone economies of action only exist where the developer thinks to include them. For example, starting you with the last note you were writing before you closed the memos app. On webOS and the Pre the multitasking handles that effortlessly, sparing you from the whims and abilities of the developer.

Many more such examples exist.

EDIT: I swear I started writing this before amistak posted his reply. That our examples are identical is just that they are both easy and solid examples.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/04/2010 at 01:37 AM.
    talking and using the internet is like a driving and talking on the phone ..you cant do either 1 well enough to justify doing it in the 1rst place ..
    just because you can doesn't mean you should.

and ask her realistically , how many time will she do that as opposed to other multitasking scenarios? if that is her main point for having an iPhone more power to her..
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, she is mostly right, as current CDMA 3G systems(Sprint/Verizon) don't allow call and data at the same time(unless you use wifi ). AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G systems do, because they use a completely different technology, and hence why the iPhone can do both at the same time. So both the service and the phone must support call and data use at the same time. The Palm Pre CAN multitask every single application, unless you are on a call, but the iPhone can only multitask specific Apple system applications(that might change in the future). So, if you need to use data applications while on a call, you would have to go with either AT&T or T-Mobile 3G services currently. Hope this cleared it up a little...
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    If you're trying to convince an Apple fan, forget about it. I've been trying to convince OSX fans that they're no more immune to viruses and the like than Windows (or Linux) users for quite some time, only gotten a couple to listen.......and that was after the news story about the gaping security flaw found awhile back. Even the people that bought G5 PPC's from me for studios that had massive problems with overheating couldn't be moved.

Getting a call while on a data session, yeah, EVDO can do it, if the network allows it. The functionality is there, its just not turned on. She's right in that regard, but not the way she thinks.

I would point out, like onyoursix said, the iPhone is on the third revison in three years. It took them three full tries to get things mostly right, when they could have done it all right from the start. As to whether its better......that's all subjective. I had an iPhone owner, 3G model, showing it off to everybody in a doc's waiting room, and I pretty much smoked him on everything but screen size with my old 800w.

If she happened to be a musician that loved Strats, you'd have a hard time convincing her to buy a Les Paul, too. Or a tube amp fan being shown solid state.......
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    If you're trying to convince an Apple fan, forget about it. I've been trying to convince OSX fans that they're no more immune to viruses and the like than Windows (or Linux) users for quite some time, only gotten a couple to listen.......and that was after the news story about the gaping security flaw found awhile back. Even the people that bought G5 PPC's from me for studios that had massive problems with overheating couldn't be moved.
    I'll keep this short. First a couple of qualifiers....
    1) I'm not an 'Apple' fan, just a user.
    2) Many, many years with Unix....grew up with it.....(with a degree in comp sci)
    3) I'm NOT starting a flame war here....just stating some points, consider it as friendly, not an attack on you.....there are a lot of misperceptions that are perpetuated through the internet.

Now the statement; Yes, you can get a 'virus' onto a *nix system, but you'd have to be sitting at the terminal, with access to root to be able to craft anything malicious. The more common form of attack in *nix systems are 'Trojans' (which are way different from viruses) and even here you still have to take very deliberate steps to have one infect your system....it's very, very difficult to have a trojan install on to your computer without you giving it explicit permission. There has not been one single instance of a virus in the wild for *nix systems....there have been a couple of laboratory 'proofs' but these require very direct or remotely permitted access in order to function....they cannot be spread manually nor spread themselves.

The oft used argument that *nix systems are too rare or don't have 'market penetration' so that they enjoy security through obscurity is also not correct. *nix has been around since (officially) 1970, it is the operating system that the majority of the Internet uses in its backbone servers. With the length of time that *nix has been present in the world....why has no one successfully created a self replicating virus?????

Respectfully

Harnoy

(and now back to the original topic...my apologies for going off topic)
    I did qualify the Apple fan with "if". I'm fully aware of what can and can't be done. That'd be another thread on a whole different forum, though.

No offense meant.
    1) Very limited mutitasking
    2) No real keyboard
    3) Crappy at&t network
    4) Overpriced cell/network service
    5) Flash not available in the future
    6) Camera has no flash
    7) No removable battery
    8) No Individuality, a sheep in a big flock of followers
    9) No synergy
    10) Big and bulky, does not fit in pants pocket, have to wear dorky side case

Oh, I forgot the most important thing, webOS!!!!!!
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 03/04/2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: add
    You should just grab her iPhone and throw it on the ground. Then ask her how important it is to be able to talk and surf the web at the same time. Then let her do the same to your pre. If you have insurance you go pay your deductible and get a new one while she waits for her contract to end because att and apple are dumb because they dont cover physical damage on the iPhone. lol
    I should point out on the multitasking end, WinMo is basically the same. In fact, its a pain in the **** because apps don't fully close unless you manually end them. So yeah, my WinMo phone could RUN multiple apps at the same time, but could only USE one at a time. I couldn't write an email, minimize that app if a text came in, flip that one over to put a number into my contacts list, and bounce around that way. Whatever app is open on the screen stays put until you close it.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    girls are always right, you will never win an argument. Give up resistance is futile
    lol!!!!

+1
    If iphone was on a cdma network it couldn't use data and voice at the same time.
    You should show her how much faster sprint and verizon are (if they are in your area)
    If worst comes to worst show her one of my ads and see what happens. lol.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    GSM's advantage over CDMA in the states is only talk and surf(all GSM phones can do this not just the ipoon). Now if you travel out of the country GSM is better cause it's likely to work (coverage is more spotty on GSM, at&t and tmo). CDMA phones in the states are pretty much locked to the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    I did qualify the Apple fan with "if". I'm fully aware of what can and can't be done. That'd be another thread on a whole different forum, though.

No offense meant.
    Huge circular argument thread is what it would be.... I've seen a lot of them, and I don't generally participate in them. No offence taken
    I was told by a verizon employee that cdma towers can handle 10x the traffic and coverage of a gsm tower. It basically splits the calls to sub-frequencies to accommodate more traffic than a gsm, and has a wider range than a gsm tower.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast