Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a friend who works for Sprint in the repair center. He advised me not to purchase the Touchstone due to blown earpieces and speakers. I'm told this is due to the magnets in the speaker and Touchstone pulling on each other and blowing out the speakers.

Has anyone else had this issue with theirs?
    Not yet, if its even a possibility. The magnets in the charger aren't all that strong, just enough to hold the phone in place. You'd have to have the magnets directly under the speaker to even get a reaction.
  3.    #3  
    I hope so. I've seen in other threads how people have had them working before they went to bed, woke up and took it off the touchstone and the speakers blown. I just ordered one, so I hope this wouldn't/doesnt happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jothebeast View Post
    I hope so. I've seen in other threads how people have had them working before they went to bed, woke up and took it off the touchstone and the speakers blown. I just ordered one, so I hope this wouldn't/doesnt happen.
    Now I'm scared, I just bought the Touchstone today!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Vet View Post
    Now I'm scared, I just bought the Touchstone today!
    I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like everyone that has a touchstone loves the thing. I'm more curious if anyone is aware of this and knows how to prevent it.
    Touchstone is wonderful!
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    I had mine from the day it came out speaker still working. Still wish the speaker phone was louder, like a nextel radio lol.
    Mine too. Six weeks on the touchstone, lately upwards of 12 hours at a shot, no issues. About the only way I could see it damaging the speaker is if you had the magnets half-covering the cone and your ringer fired off. That might cause it to pull off-center, but I seriously doubt it. Same with the earpiece, that's even less likely. You've got the entire back half of the phone, plus a metal plate, between the charger and the earpiece. Those little magnets just aren't that strong.
    Seriously? LOL, I've had my TS and my launch day Pre for almost 9 months now and both are still performing great, no blown speakers or earpieces.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Four months here and alot of time spent using the phone on the TS, no issues with any speakers blowing.
    Not yet, if its even a possibility. The magnets in the charger aren't all that strong, just enough to hold the phone in place. You'd have to have the magnets directly under the speaker to even get a reaction.

Machine а sous en ligne
    poker tables
    Last edited by vsharma72; 03/04/2010 at 05:13 AM.
  12.    #12  
    great news I'm sure it wasn't as widespread as he made it sound
    I'm told this is due to the magnets in the speaker and Touchstone pulling on each other and blowing out the speakers.
    Anyone who believes that this is even possible, has no understanding of the construction or function of a speaker beyond the fact that speakers have a magnet in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Seriously? LOL, I've had my TS and my launch day Pre for almost 9 months now and both are still performing great, no blown speakers or earpieces.
    +1
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Anyone who believes that this is even possible, has no understanding of the construction or function of a speaker beyond the fact that speakers have a magnet in them.
    can you share your expertise then? I have a feeling you also have no clue what you're talking about. However, if you do I'd love to learn something new today
    well I have replaced my phone for a blown speaker but I don't think it had anything to do with the touchstone lol now the speaker (external) may be of poor quality but that's the summ of it imho.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I've had 3 blown speakers on my pre. I'd say it's a definite possibility especially considering the fact the speaker doesn't get very loud to begin with...
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Same here. Launch day Pre and I've been using the TS from day one with no issues. Also have a Pixi with TS and no issues there either.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I hope I can explain this in a way that makes sense to people without an in-depth knowledge of speakers.

There is nothing magnetic in a speaker other than the magnet itself. Perhaps the basket (frame) of the speaker if its of metal construction, but thats all rigid and no small magnet is ever going to tweak that. The fragile part of the speaker will not EVER be pulled out of place by a magnet. It is only magnetic when a charge is applied to the coil. (the coil is seated into the speaker's magnet and the charge is what makes it move either in or out). Speakers also have typically stronger-than-necessary suspensions to keep them in place, so even if it was over powered significantly, you are more likely to burn it than to pop it out of place. No magnet is going to damage a speaker.
    can you share your expertise then? I have a feeling you also have no clue what you're talking about. However, if you do I'd love to learn something new today
    That's fair.

Basic construction: A rare earth magnet surrounded by an electromagnet. Generally speaking, the electromagnet is stationary, and the rare earth magnet moves freely inside the electromagnet. The rare earth magnet is attached to a sound cone. As electric current is oscillated through the electromagnet, the rare earth magnet is pushed and pulled, causing vibration in the sound cone, which is what causes sound.

How to blow out a speaker: There are 2 ways to blow out a speak, and they are as follows:

1. Put so much power through the system, that you fry the electronics driving the speaker. That's pretty much a non-issue here. Simply having another fixed magnet in the area can't generate any meaningful current, let alone enough current to fry the electronics. Also, this isn't really a "blown" speaker anyway. It's more of a burned out speaker.

2. Move the magnet so violently that it either detaches from the sound cone, or tears the sound cone to shreds. This usually happens when you play audio that is both too loud, and pushing the limits of the speaker's range. Basically, you shake the speaker apart. The only way to accomplish this with a magnet like the one in the touchstone, would be if the magnet was so strong, that the static force of the magnet sitting over th speaker was strong enough to rip the speaker apart.

What makes it even more unlikely, is the construction of the speaker in the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $Most$ $large$ $speakers$ $have$ $a$ $paper$ $cone$. $My$ $desktop$ $speakers$ $are$ $a$ $perfect$ $example$. $The$ $very$ $center$ $of$ $the$ $cone$, $where$ $the$ $magnet$ $attaches$, $is$ $plastic$. $This$ $is$ $surrounded$ $by$ $a$ $larger$ $paper$ $cone$. $However$, $the$ $speaker$ $in$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $uses$ $an$ $all$ $plastic$ $cone$. $That$ $means$ $lower$ $sound$ $quality$, $but$ $higher$ $volume$ $in$ $a$ $small$ $size$, $and$ $MUCH$ $more$ $durability$.

Next, magnets of the physical size used in both the speaker and the touchstone, have a very small magnetic field. Just the depth of the speaker magnet inside the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $the$ $depth$ $of$ $the$ $magnet$ $in$ $the$ $touchstone$ $combine$ $to$ $make$ $enough$ $distance$ $that$ $there$ $is$ $almost$ $no$ $interaction$.

You can actually run the speaker of your PrPrPr&#$275$; $over$ $a$ $touchstone$, $and$ $you$ $will$ $feel$ $exactly$ $how$ $much$ $force$ $the$ $touchstone$ $exerts$ $on$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;'$s$ $speaker$. $Or$ $I$ $should$ $say$, &$quot$;$you$ $might$&$quot$; $be$ $able$ $to$. $There$'$s$ $so$ $little$ $interaction$ $that$ $it$ $can$ $be$ $hard$ $to$ $tell$. $Once$ $you$ $get$ $a$ $feel$ $for$ $how$ $little$ $force$ $is$ $involved$, $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $take$ $a$ $rocket$ $scientist$ $to$ $figure$ $out$ $that$ $there$ $is$ $no$ $way$ $the$ $magnets$ $in$ $the$ $touchstone$ $could$ $cause$ $damage$.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast