1.    #1  
    I just got a new Pre yesterday, and I'm using a generic mini-usb cable to charge it.

The hottest part is the keyboard, and I can actually feel the heat before I touch the keys. The heat isn't really uncomfortable yet, but it is a bit freaky. Is this normal?

Does the charger matter? USB is USB, as far as I know.
    but different cables have different voltages try an official palm charger and youll see a difference i used to use a generic one but i needed a real one for my touchstone
    i agree especially on the touchstone
    It'll get warm, yeah, when I pop mine off the touchstone, it's about the same temp as a drinkable cup of coffee.
    sounds like a motherboard issue. recently had my pre replaced for that because if the phone gets too hot for too long it will eventually jack your phone. get it replaced when you can.
    +1 agreed that it is VERY important to use a OEM cable with the Touchstone, but also plugging directly into the USB of the device. This has been talked about in the forums many times and people have discovered that the Pre's cable is designed specifically for the voltages required by the device. inefficiency = heat
  7.    #7  
    Well, I swapped over to my "official" charger for the last 25%. When I pulled it off the charger (this isn't touchstone btw) it was still as warm, if not warmer, than the generic cable...

It's freaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Well, I swapped over to my "official" charger for the last 25%. When I pulled it off the charger (this isn't touchstone btw) it was still as warm, if not warmer, than the generic cable...

It's freaky.
    Do you have WiFi, or Location Services running while charging? If you do, turn them off and try it... these will cause heating issues while charging too.
    Sounds like its not kicking down to the trickle charge after topping off the battery.
    But he's experiencing it at 75% too... not topped off

I'm still wondering if he's got WiFi running while charging.
    Hmm......I'm reading it as he charged up the last 25% then pulled the charger, felt it was still hot or hotter after that last top-off.
  12.    #12  
    No, wifi is not turned on. The only thing on is the phone's radio, GPS, and the battery monitor app.
    Well, my bet is the charging circuit not throttling back at full charge. I've got the cable that came with my older Palm, that one works fine for me, but it is a Palm cable. Unless you want to take it to a service shop, use it tomorrow, get it drained down, then plug it in. If it stays cool-ish, just warm to the touch while charging, but get hot very quickly toward the end of the cycle, that'd be your problem.