1.    #1  
    Ok,

Long story short:

I have had the palm pre for about 2 months now and when I got it the salesclerk was offering me a deal on my phone bill so I went through with buying it. However when I got my bill it was way more than what I was told. So now I'm forced to switching back to another phone due to other expenses which is lame.

However I was wondering if now that I activated/set up the phone would I be able to just switch to another plan without internet access and have the phone still work without it?

If so would I be able to update my phone using a computer?

Any help would be great and thanks in advance for not being mean about it.
    you cannot use the pre without a data plan on sprint/verizon but if you somehow managed to cheat the system and do so you could simply doctor the pre with a newer version when it came out
    Sprint, Verizon, or Bell? Sprint, I can tell you, includes web with their three current plans, you can't get rid of it even if you wanted to. Verizon requires a data plan or "data feature" of $30 or more on Palm, WinMo, Android, and Blackberry phones. So no, you can't use a non-data plan. You wouldn't want to do that anyway, there's no real way to turn off data services on the Pre, you'd wind up getting hit with a per-kB charge every month just from the email checking.
    The Pre uses a lot of data to backup and sync so you would still need some form of data plan to have the right functionality, but the carrier might detect the smartphone at some point and automatically add the $30 smartphone data plan back on your bill.
    The data plan charge isn't "lame", it is what all of us who are not trying to cheat the system are paying.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    you cannot use the pre without a data plan on sprint/verizon but if you somehow managed to cheat the system and do so you could simply doctor the pre with a newer version when it came out
    I guess OTA updates over wifi are considered "cheating the system", eh? No need to Doctor. webOS can mostly handle everything over wifi, but there's no guarantee that it will ALL go over wifi unless the phone radio is off.

If you're with Sprint, your two options are (1) to switch to an inferior phone and pay a tad bit less per month and lose a lotta features, and (2) switch to the data-only plan for $30/mo... but you get NO voice calling whatsoever and NO MMS, I believe.

Both of those options will cause you to lose your full upgrade credit toward phones that comes around every year... but whatevz.
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetlove View Post
    The Pre uses a lot of data to backup and sync so you would still need some form of data plan to have the right functionality, but the carrier might detect the smartphone at some point and automatically add the $30 smartphone data plan back on your bill.
    The data plan charge isn't "lame", it is what all of us who are not trying to cheat the system are paying.
    I agree....I think my bill is reasonable for the amount of functionality I get out of my Pre. The unlimited data with Sprint is about the best deal going right now.
    Nah, by "cheating the system" he meant getting around the data plan requirement the rest of us pay for, since neither Sprint or Verizon will sell or activate the phone for you without a data plan.

Probably wouldn't work, anyway, the MSID is tied to the phone, they'll figure out pretty quickly he's not meeting the requirements.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the fast replies ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Nah, by "cheating the system" he meant getting around the data plan requirement the rest of us pay for, since neither Sprint or Verizon will sell or activate the phone for you without a data plan.
    I'm sure they'll activate it without a plan period if you shell out close to $600 or whatever the full MSRP on the phone is.
    The opposite will be true though, you will still be able to use the Pre to check email, browse the internet and download apps with WiFi. All without having phone service.

I got my Pre because my cousin gave me hers when she was going to Blackberry for work. When I got it the phone portion was disabled. I couldn't make calls or use cell to connect to the internet.

But, I could still use the WiFi to browse, download my email and even download apps. I did this for a few weeks until I decided make the switch to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm sure they'll activate it without a plan period if you shell out close to $600 or whatever the full MSRP on the phone is.
    Sprint? No, you have to have a contract. They don't do unlocked or contract-free. They used to, when they had a prepaid option, you paid full price and just bought month-to-month, but they stopped that eight years ago. Verizon......I know they still do prepaid, same thing, pay full price for a phone, just pay for what you need minutes-wise, my mom does that, but I don't think they do it on phones like the Pre that pretty much have to have data access.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Sprint? No, you have to have a contract. They don't do unlocked or contract-free.
    No, you don't. If there's anything I know... it's Sprint stuff.

Sprint will most assuredly let you walk in, pay full retail price for the phone (~$600), and walk out without ever opening the box and activating the phone. They might push you to activate it then, but it is not necessary whatsoever.

It'd be pretty foolish for them not to take your six Benjamins...