View Poll Results: Are you having any new email problems with the 1.4 update?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, everything is working fine

69 46.00%
  • Yes (Sprint), I have lost all my emails and accounts

32 21.33%
  • Yes (Verizon), I have lost all my emails and accounts

4 2.67%
  • Yes (other), I have lost all my emails and accounts

0 0%
  • Yes, email isn't syncing every XX mins like is used to

13 8.67%
  • Yes, I am having some other problem...

36 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My issue of major delayed notices for email is resolved and I am happy again.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    yes e-mail not syncing all the times
  3.    #23  
    I did a full erase (because I was swapping the phone for a new one, but the new one did not work so I was stuck with the old phone for another day).

After a re-setup, email worked again. I have added a bunch of the patches/apps back on (but not preware yet) and it is still working a few days later.

I am guessing the update from 1.3 -> 1.4 left a file(s) on my Pre that messed up the email.
    Last edited by wilderf; 03/08/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    What is different about a full erase from using WebOS Doctor to reset the phone? Do you still sync up with the Palm Profile after the full erase, or do you have to rebuild everything from scratch? Full erase just sounds so extreme, and a little scary. If you are right about the latent file causing email problems, that may be my only alternative. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    What is different about a full erase from using WebOS Doctor to reset the phone? Do you still sync up with the Palm Profile after the full erase, or do you have to rebuild everything from scratch? Full erase just sounds so extreme, and a little scary. If you are right about the latent file causing email problems, that may be my only alternative. Thanks.
    also would like to know this
  6.    #26  
    If you go to the app Device Information, go to the very bottom of the first screen, you will see a button labeled Reset Options.

Click on that button to bring up a screen of options. I did the "Erase Apps & Data" (erases applications you installed and all application settings and data).

It only took a few seconds. Once it rebooted, it required me to log on to my Palm Profile and all email accounts. Over the next hour, it automatically downloaded apps I originally got from the Palm Store and all emails that were 3 days old or newer.

This process did not affect my photos, mp3s or ebooks. It did wipe out all my drPodder feeds, Ampache Mobile configs, ....

Does this help?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    My wife (Pixi), a friend (Pre) and I (Pre) are having email problems since we upgraded to 1.4.

These are Sprint phones.

On all 3, all the emails and the accounts have disappeared. We are unable to add the accounts back (screen get stuck on "signing on" screen when you try to add an account).

This is affecting our gmail, exchange server and pop server accounts.

Is anyone else having a problem?
    Yes. I suspect WebOS patches installed via Preware. For me, I think the problem is happening when I install the "Notification Repeat" patches, which I really like, since I tend to forget in the course of a conversation that my phone vibrated during it. Not nice to pull out the phone in the middle of a conversation, thus I like the repetition patches a lot. However, I like getting my email at all even more.

The other email patch I like is "confirm deletion" which confirms that you want to delete an email you slide off to the side. I do this accidentally too much, so I like this patch. I guess I can just fish it out of the trash - I guess I'll be dumpster diving from now on. Again, I like getting my email at all even more.

I think I'm going to only install patches that don't affect email for now. Those would be the 4x4 launcher patch (v3), and the device menu megamix.

I'll report back here on how that goes.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    If you go to the app Device Information, go to the very bottom of the first screen, you will see a button labeled Reset Options.

Click on that button to bring up a screen of options. I did the "Erase Apps & Data" (erases applications you installed and all application settings and data).

It only took a few seconds. Once it rebooted, it required me to log on to my Palm Profile and all email accounts. Over the next hour, it automatically downloaded apps I originally got from the Palm Store and all emails that were 3 days old or newer.

This process did not affect my photos, mp3s or ebooks. It did wipe out all my drPodder feeds, Ampache Mobile configs, ....

Does this help?
    When my Pre's email accounts disappeared, I first tried removing the accounts from Calendar & then Contacts. They wouldn't remove. The ole circle arrows just went round & round... Couldn't sign in either (same problem).

Eventually, I went to Partial Erase. This didn't fix it. Same problem. I went to *full* erase and guess what? The phone wouldn't full erase. I still had patches installed & broken email, although my apps had been deleted... *very* strange that the factory reset option didn't work! Finally, WebOS Doctor got me back to a fresh WebOS 1.4 start.
    I'm having issues with yahoo and not getting notifications and also certain emails from different providers come through blank on my gmail account.
    I tried to send video to another email account and it gives me an email not sendable error. Guess video and email dont work well.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sincityk9 View Post
    I tried to send video to another email account and it gives me an email not sendable error. Guess video and email dont work well.
    Gotta be careful that the video isn't too big. A good rule of thumb is you're fine under 5 MB, between 5-10MB is iffy, and over 10, you should probably use some other delivery method.

This isn't the gospel, it's just my experience.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettca1 View Post
    I think I'm going to only install patches that don't affect email for now. Those would be the 4x4 launcher patch (v3), and the device menu megamix.

I'll report back here on how that goes.
    Well, I got the accounts deleted after what seemed like a redonkulous number of attempts. I'm re-adding them one at a time. You know? My phone is faster than ever at this point... very peppy response. I'm thinking there's a patch I'm using somewhere that's not quite compatible with OS 1.4. I'll be re-adding patches one at a time (starting with 4x4 v3), use for a few days, add another patch I like, & so on & so on, until I kill the email (or myself) again. So more soon.

At this point, I'm pretty sure of 2 things:
    - a patch I applied along the way slowed my phone down dramatically
    - one of these patches I like breaks email on the phone (and I suspect Exchange is part of the mix too)

I wonder if I didn't have an Exchange account in the mix, would this be less buggy?
  13.    #33  
    I did a full erase on my wife's pixi a few days ago and Email came back. She had already updated to 1.4.

Yesterday, I added some patches (like "confirm email erase", ...) and as of now, her phone is still working.

F
    I've been wrestling with a new problem that I haven't seen in any of the threads. It seems that I cannot change the number of e-mails to sync or when to check for new e-mails at all on my phone. If I do, then the phone is unable to connect properly to gmail, and it is unable to get any new messages (message circle icon just keeps spinning).

So far nothing I've done has been able to restore my email to how it was before 1.4 (when everything worked). I've doctored to 1.4, done full and partial erases, doctored back down to 1.3.5.1, done more erases, and removed the folders /var/luna/data/emails & /var/luna/data/attachments. I think I've decided to just sit here and hold my breath until Palm releases another update, since it seems now that the end of my contract cannot come soon enough...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I've re-installed my favorite patches that have nothing to do with email. They are:

- 4x4 icons v3
    - Device Menu Megamix
    - Video Camera flashlight

... will observe for effects to email functionality & report back in a few days.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    When my email "disappeared" The following command-line trick reset the email app for me, so I could re-add accounts & re-sync.

from a root-user terminal (novaterm, terminal app on the phone, etc.), execute these commands:

rm -rf /var/luna/data/emails/*
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/attachments/*
    reboot

The reboot is important. Don't think you can skip it. And be very careful with the rm -rf command. Don't mess up! You can seriously frack your phone with this command. "rm -rf" will forcefully remove any files (and directories!) from the given directory pathway.

I know this info is already out there, but a "how-to" wasn't documented explicitly on this thread.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
    I've been wrestling with a new problem that I haven't seen in any of the threads. It seems that I cannot change the number of e-mails to sync or when to check for new e-mails at all on my phone. If I do, then the phone is unable to connect properly to gmail, and it is unable to get any new messages (message circle icon just keeps spinning)...
    If I understand you correctly, it sounds like something I had in Dec. It turns out I had an email on my Gmail account that my Pre couldn't download/process...so it just got stuck on this email and couldn't load any new emails anything (I could view old emails, but nothing new).

If you haven't deleted any emails on your Pre and Gmail, you may be able to find the bad message. In my case I had already deleted a lot of stuff, so I had no idea which one was causing the problem. I ended up moving all my messages in my inbox that were 1 week old or newer to a different folder on Gmail, cleaning old emails on my Pre and email started to sync again.

You may want to do an advance search for "sync" or "email sync" or "gmail" with the "search titles only" option and see if there is a better fix.
    Last edited by wilderf; 03/12/2010 at 12:09 PM.
    I had the same problem. It just happened one day. I am not running any patches, just 1.4.
    Yes. Exact same problem.
    ETUTREO300
    If I understand you correctly, it sounds like something I had in Dec. It turns out I had an email on my Gmail account that my Pre couldn't download/process...so it just got stuck on this email and couldn't load any new emails anything (I could view old emails, but nothing new).

If you haven't deleted any emails on your Pre and Gmail, you may be able to find the bad message. In my case I had already deleted a lot of stuff, so I had no idea which one was causing the problem. I ended up moving all my messages in my inbox that were 1 week old or newer to a different folder on Gmail, cleaning old emails on my Pre and email started to sync again.

You may want to do an advance search for "sync" or "email sync" or "gmail" with the "search titles only" option and see if there is a better fix.
    Thanks for the reply. Turns out that was the issue I was having with my pre. And now I finally got everything working on it again.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast