1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I am considering buying a Palm Pre and although I currently live in the US I will in a year or two move to live in the UK. Will I be able to use a Palm Pre purchased in the US with any UK telecom company? Or will it be completely useless once I move?

Thanks
    Completely useless, I'm afraid. The US Pre uses a CDMA network which is incompatible with the GSM system employed by UK networks. Sorry.

That said, you will be able to purchase a GSM Pre once you cross the pond.

Regards,
    Adam
    Sony: NR70, NX80
    Palm: III, V, Vx, IIIc, m505, LifeDrive, Treo 700p, Palm Pre
    Android: HTC Evo 4G
    If the Pre ever becomes available on AT&T in the US then it will work in the UK. However, it may not work at 3G speeds and it may or may not be easy to unlock to work with UK networks.
    you could hang tight and buy the rumored att pre, that should work in both places I think...
    you can get out of your att contract ny moving to the uk with proof. If your out of contract att customer care can assist in unlocking it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for such quick replies, much appreciated!
    Sorry to hear that the situation is as expected :-( maybe I will wait for a bit for an At&T Pre. Anyone have any idea when such a thing might be released? Or is it just speculation at present?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuk View Post
    Thanks for such quick replies, much appreciated!
    Sorry to hear that the situation is as expected :-( maybe I will wait for a bit for an At&T Pre. Anyone have any idea when such a thing might be released? Or is it just speculation at present?

Thanks
    You're probably looking at Q2 2010 (~Summer) but it's nothing concrete.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $GSM$ $Unlocked$ $QWERTZ$ $Pre$ $and$ $itll$ $work$ $fine$ $on$ $EDGE$ $on$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $and$ $full$ $3G$ $speeds$ $in$ $the$ $UK$. $But$ $youre$ $better$ $off$ $waiting$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$ $Plus$.

And besides, SFR (in france) should be getting the Pre Plus, and all phones sold in france are required to be sold as unlocked, so you might want to pick one up from there (again Q2 2010 / Summer (?) but nothing official)
    It'll have an AZERTY Keyboard though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It'll have an AZERTY Keyboard though.
    You can change the keyboard mapping and/or also physical keyboard layout if you're in the mood. Also i'm pretty sure ive seen unlocked QWERTY's around on eBay.

It all depends on the OP's preference i guess.
    I bought one on ebay (unlocked by default). If you do buy one from ebay (originally from O2, Germany) make sure it is truly unlocked as all these mods and patches do not always work.
    Danny Bluestone
    www.cyber-duck.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuk View Post
    Hi,
    I am considering buying a Palm Pre and although I currently live in the US I will in a year or two move to live in the UK. Will I be able to use a Palm Pre purchased in the US with any UK telecom company? Or will it be completely useless once I move?

Thanks
    If it's two years, then you'll be ready for a new phone anyway.
    US and UK use two different GSM frequencies AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $UK$ $is$ $900$/$1800$, $US$ $is$ $850$/$1900$. $Most$ $phones$ $now$ $are$ $quad$ $band$, $I$ $believe$, $so$ $the$ $phone$ $itself$ $would$ $work$. $HSPDA$ $is$ $stuck$ $at$ $850$/$1900$ $though$, $on$ $US$ $sourced$ $phones$, $so$ $3G$ $wouldn$'$t$ $work$ $for$ $you$ $in$ $the$ $UK$. $Different$ $frequency$. $You$'$d$ $need$ $a$ $true$ $world$ $phone$ $for$ $all$ $the$ $features$, $and$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $recall$ $seeing$ $that$ $the$ $Pre$ $was$ $capable$ $of$ $overseas$ $use$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    You can change the keyboard mapping and/or also physical keyboard layout if you're in the mood. Also i'm pretty sure ive seen unlocked QWERTY's around on eBay.

It all depends on the OP's preference i guess.
    I was referring to the SFR Pre Plus. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $only$ $the$ $SFR$ $is$ $Plus$. $It$'$s$ $French$ $so$ $it$'$s$ $AZERTY$.

You're thinking German QWERTZ...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    i would buy a GSM pre. They exist.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If it's two years, then you'll be ready for a new phone anyway.
    Ha ha, you are talking to the person who still uses their 1st generation i-pod!
    I try to buy things to last, I'm old fasioned like that.
    Sounds like a GSM Pre is what I need. Shame they are so much more expensive.
    Assuming that I purchase a GSM Pre does anyone know what pre-pay/pay-as-you-go sim cards would work with it? I am new to the US so have no credit history here. Therefore I would think it would be tricky for me to get a contract here.
  16.    #16  
    So, just to clarify - if I buy an unlocked UK GSM Pre will I have any problems using that in the US?
    Thanks
  17.    #17  
    So, just to clarify - if I buy an unlocked UK GSM Pre will I have any problems using that in the US?
    Thanks
    If its quad band, you can use it on any GSM network. If ATT makes it dual band, then you'll be stuck with the country you bought it in. There's an article here, http://www.precentral.net/good-news-...-and-unlocking from last September. Should be quad band, but you'll have to make sure it's an unlocked phone. Or get handy and do it yourself.