1.    #1  
    A weird thing happened to me today. And I can't stress enough what a huge difference this has made for me - this is certainly no placebo, it's solved one of my biggest problems with my Palm Pre since day one.

The Music app (including the Remix app) has always been painfully sluggish for me. Scrolling would judder and halt and I'd often have to click twice or three times before the app would realise I'm trying to select an artist. When 1.4 arrived and I realised Palm had optimised the transitions I was excited, but the Music app was still sluggish and choppy and just awful.

But then I changed the way I transferred music on to my Pre - and now I get smooth scrolling (just like in the Contacts list), no lag and single clicks to enter artist/album/song links

The solution is a little odd, and I don't understand it fully. But I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

My old way of transferring music:
    - Drag and Drop over USB
    - Sync using SongBird
    - Result: Laggy, slow music app.

My new way of transferring music:
    - Sync using iTunes version 9
    - Result: Beautifully smooth and responsive music app.

My theory is that iTunes handles the album artwork differently than SongBird or dragging and dropping. I suspect that in manually transferring via USB the full size artwork images are utilised and the music app has to work twice as hard to render them.

Perhaps iTunes actively resizes and optimises the artwork for mobile devices so that they load quickly and run smoothly. I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested to hear if this works for anyone else.

Thanks for reading
    SqyArc
    Do you think if album art was excluded from the drag and drop method, we could see the same results you did with itunes sync. I dont care that much about album art but I hate itunes.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Do you think if album art was excluded from the drag and drop method, we could see the same results you did with itunes sync. I dont care that much about album art but I hate itunes.
    Yes - if my theory is correct, anyway. If you can remove the album artwork completely (remember some artwork is embedded in the MP3 itself) then I would expect the same results. I'm not a fan of iTunes either but I do like having the album artwork available.
    I used iTunes before, but it's not even recognizing my Pre anymore. However, mine was still sluggish using that anyway. Glad it's working for someone though!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I used iTunes before, but it's not even recognizing my Pre anymore. However, mine was still sluggish using that anyway. Glad it's working for someone though!
    Thanks for your response. Just for the record - if you do want to still use your Palm device with iTunes you will need to install iTunes 9 instead (Link: Old Version of iTunes 9.0 Download - OldApps.com)

And don't update it
    This is definitely one of my biggest issues too. I can't stand iTunes, but I do love my album art. I'm going to check if this works with DoubleTwist hopefully it will. (I'm a die hard Zune user)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    This is definitely one of my biggest issues too. I can't stand iTunes, but I do love my album art. I'm going to check if this works with DoubleTwist hopefully it will. (I'm a die hard Zune user)
    Worth a try - let me know how it goes. It's worth noting that syncing with SongBird did not help at all.