Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I started a thread a long time ago about using the kernels ondemand governor for cpu scaling. Back then the kernel and the OS had problems with it. Now after extensive testing, i can confirm that it is working great in WebOS 1.4 for my particular phone.

-no more camera app jitters
    -no more video flickers
    -no more inappropriate scaling to 125-250mhz******(edit:after further testing it still wants to inappropriately scale lower than your set min freq)
    -no more random reboots or shutdowns on wake up

Here are the settings that the phone really seems to like:

min scaling freq = 500000
    max scaling freq = 600000
    scaling governer = ondemand
    sampling rate = 1000000
    powersave bias = 0
    cpu up threshold = 20% utilization

here is the code for all you linux people. Im sure someone is willing to write a patch for you.

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias

Simply type the above code in novaterm and if things dont work out reboot your phone and everything is reset to default. Have fun and let me know how it works for you.

UPDATE: this code was created into an app so that you can turn it on and off. When off the phone is running at Palm default settings. Here is the link to the thread about the new app:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...u-scaling.html
    Last edited by number1pete; 03/18/2010 at 01:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Still safe to assume this doesn't work with Smartreflex?
  3.    #3  
    actually that's a really good question. I cant answer that atm. I need to test it out. All i can say is that the kernel and OS are behaving much better now (actually doing what i tell it to). Will look into it. But my goal was to get more performance, i am not interested in saving battery life via cpu. I think undervoting the evdo radio will help much much more.
    Does this do anything to help battery life when the Pre is idle?
    @netwrkr9 - No

A similar patch to this is already in the git repo. How to access and apply this is left as an exercise for the reader.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    undervoting?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Interesting. I just tried this and it works fine. CPU Scaling never worked on my phone prior to 1.4. My phone would always freeze as soon as I set the scaling governor to ondemand. Now it's working just fine and scaling up properly. I have my threshold set to 80%. I tried min_freq to 250000 but it never scaled down to that when idle.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I set my min to 125mHz. we'll see what happens.

I wish I knew what Palm were doing in LunaSysMgr to hardcode the cpu speed. It shouldn't be hard to put this in startup, but I don't know if it will get undone when Luna starts.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    There must be some placebo effect going on here as it feels smoother than running at 600 all the time (modded LunaSysMgr).
    Would this mess with the 600 "over"clocking patch? Because I have it installed and I don't want to mess anything up.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    Would this mess with the 600 "over"clocking patch? Because I have it installed and I don't want to mess anything up.
    I backed it out and rebooted before doing this, although I doubt they conflict.
    can this burn out your processor?
    chances are very slim that you'll do any damage to your processor unless if you have a faulty one to begin with
  14.    #14  
    on my pre so I'll keep it short.

I meant to say undervolting...

yeah WebOS 1.4 does not let me go down to 125mhz or 250mhz. I think they realized how much problems those frequencies are causing.

these are kernel lvl setting so there is a good chance that when your phone scales to 600mhz here it will be faster than some of the scripts out there.

this will not break your pre. If you have an early batch cpu then your phone won't like 600mhz and will reboot.
    noob here!... i've been reading about this and im interested in installing them, i installed smartflex from preware, but that doesnt do anything, only change ive notice is that it saves a little more battery when idle.

can anyone guide me through the steps of installing this...or which ever works best. performance and battery, both matter to me.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I just ried this and is seems to work.....but the max scaling_max_feq is set to 600000 and I cant seem to change it... I seem to be getting a range of frequencies and it works faster an no stutter..

600000 53890
    550000 3407
    500000 2494600
    250000 5101
    125000 20494

The only command that seemed to modify anything for me was
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post
    noob here!... i've been reading about this and im interested in installing them, i installed smartflex from preware, but that doesnt do anything, only change ive notice is that it saves a little more battery when idle.

can anyone guide me through the steps of installing this...or which ever works best. performance and battery, both matter to me.
    smartflex is a feature of thed procesor to scale its voltage depending on utilization. It does not scale the cpu frequency. You may see battery improvements with it. Last i heard, that was a buggy feature. I have not tried it since WebOS 1.2. I will test it in WebOS 1.4.

Also i remeber that smartflex did not work with the ondemand governor at the same time (crashes). But i will see if they play nice now.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I just ried this and is seems to work.....but the max scaling_max_feq is set to 600000 and I cant seem to change it... I seem to be getting a range of frequencies and it works faster an no stutter..

600000 53890
    550000 3407
    500000 2494600
    250000 5101
    125000 20494

The only command that seemed to modify anything for me was

im a little confused with your post. What are you attempting to do? What would you like your max and min frequencies to be? Are you running WebOS 1.4?

if you dont feel like a command you type "stuck"...... simply type
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    .....and it will report what governor you selected. Same thing for the other features.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    is this doable using WOSQI?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post

the short answer to your question is that smartflex and the ondemand scaling governor still seem to not get along. After a little testing i noticed that they run together and are fine 80% of the time but as soon as you load up multiple videos, and the camera and other junk it will freeze.

apparently there is a module needed to connect smartflex and ondemand that isnt present in the existing kernel.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast