Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 144
  1. #61  
    why does no one try to access the gpu and use some of its resources for general stuff on the phone . I don't understand ? Or better yet why does palm not do that? Lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  2. #62  
    I know that most of the people in this thread are concerned more about speed than energy consumption. As I posted earlier, I installed the updated Scaling 500 patch last night and so far found no ill effects or lagging from this patch. I ran the battery monitor last night to get a reading of what power consumption was when my Pre was idle and am really pleased with the results:

    Some reason the attachment option is not functioning, but here are my results, I ran the test for 9 hours and 23 minutes, power usage was at .64% with 146.72 hours of battery life remaining. At the end of the test my battery reading was at 95%. I am really happy with the results, right on par with the previous SR 500 patch I was using!
  3. navinag's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    #63  
    Upon futher experimentation....I have found the following:

    It appears that any SDL based apps bump the CPU freq to 600.
    Upon exiting it goes back to 500

    I logged into a terminal via pc and monitored the cpuinfo_cur_feq file.

    It was at 500. I opened a bunch of apps and messed around and still at 500.

    I opened up the terminus app (sdl based), note this is "terminus" not "terminal", and cpu speed jumped form 500 to 600. Closed the app and the speed went back to 500.

    The problem i was having before was that I thought my pre was always running at 600. I was using the terminus app to monitor time_in_state and it kept tellimg me that I was running at 600.

    So it all makes sense now.

    Long story short..using terminus will bump your cpu speed to 600 as long as the app is open. This a quick way for people to try out running at 600 to see how their phone bevaes under normal use. It is snappier for me. I might mate the settings permanent after trying it out for a few days.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I know that most of the people in this thread are concerned more about speed than energy consumption. As I posted earlier, I installed the updated Scaling 500 patch last night and so far found no ill effects or lagging from this patch. I ran the battery monitor last night to get a reading of what power consumption was when my Pre was idle and am really pleased with the results:

    Some reason the attachment option is not functioning, but here are my results, I ran the test for 9 hours and 23 minutes, power usage was at .64% with 146.72 hours of battery life remaining. At the end of the test my battery reading was at 95%. I am really happy with the results, right on par with the previous SR 500 patch I was using!
    Net:

    Are you referring to version 1.4.0-3 of the Powersave CPU Scaling 500 patch (updated 2/17/10), or some other patch?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Net:

    Are you referring to version 1.4.0-3 of the Powersave CPU Scaling 500 patch (updated 2/17/10), or some other patch?
    Yeah, version 1.4.0-3 Powersave CPU Scaling 500 patch. Can they modify this patch to a higher top speed like they did with the SR patches?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    For the settings that aren't sticking you might try setting them twice. I remember seeing a note about that in some of the powersave patches.

    Thanks for the tip... Tried it but to no avail.

    On a separate note,
    I manually set it again and was impressed with the noticeable speed improvements HOWEVER (and as you noted earlier) I tried to play Brain Challenge and couldn't due to the contention between the governor and the app. (resulting in continual screen flickering and extremely slow response time).

    So I'm a bit torn... 80+ % of the time I would like the CPU to be "ondemand" but it would be nice to be able to toggle these setting via an app on the PRE so we can still play games.
  7. tc600's Avatar
    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I installed cpufreq-utils out of optware. It makes this a lot easier to manage.
    Would you have some quick instructions on how to install "cpufreq-utils"?

    I tried:
    ipkg-opt install cpufrequtils

    but that failed ...

    Edit:
    Scratch that, I didn't do an "ipkg-opt update" beforehand. After doing so, it works ...
    Last edited by tc600; 03/04/2010 at 11:48 AM.
  8. #68  
    sorry--can u translate? Do we type these commands if we have 600mhz patch installed? Or perhaps not?

    thanks
  9. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    sorry--can u translate? Do we type these commands if we have 600mhz patch installed? Or perhaps not?

    thanks
    Everytime Luna (the GUI) starts, it will try to set the CPU to 500mHz (or 600, if you patched it). These command override that by changing the way the system sets the CPU speed: from waiting for something to tell it what to use to telling itself what to use based on load. HTH.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    ok.
    So I created a cpu-scaling file:


    I have it in the /etc/event.d folder as instructed by WebOS internals.

    the problem I have is that it doesn't want to set the scaling_governor to ondemand. Nor will it change to up_threshold.
    The only way I can set this is as per the 1st post in this thread.

    Any ideas on how to make this change permanent?
    you dont wont your phone to scale to 125mhz, youll get freezes. Minimum of 250mhz if you dont want freezes. But if you dont mind a freeze every week or so then go ahead.

    however like i mentioned before...once WebOS 1.4 settled on my phone i no longer have control of the ondemand governor. It will go below 500mhz even though i told it 500mhz is the minimum.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    on my pre so I'll keep it short.

    I meant to say undervolting...

    yeah WebOS 1.4 does not let me go down to 125mhz or 250mhz. I think they realized how much problems those frequencies are causing.

    these are kernel lvl setting so there is a good chance that when your phone scales to 600mhz here it will be faster than some of the scripts out there.

    this will not break your pre. If you have an early batch cpu then your phone won't like 600mhz and will reboot.
    Do you know where I can find information on your last sentence? "If you have an early batch cpu then your phone won't like 600mhz and will reboot."

    First off, let me start by saying thanks for this information. I did not know this was an issue until I came across this post.

    Is this to say that if we have a phone with an early batch CPU we will most likely not be able to run the 3D games that bump the CPU to 600mhz?

    The reason I ask is because I installed Terminus on my phone (in order to bump my cpu to 600mhz without having to install a patch) and after opening Terminus and leaving it open, I open a few cards and play with my phone, and it reboots.......every time.

    I got my phone on June 8th, 2009...so I'm pretty sure I have an early batch cpu and I'm waaaaaay past the 30 day trial period..haha. But, if this is documented I want to be able to go into Sprint with proof of the issue (without having to buy a 3D game) and show them I have a problematic cpu.

    I don't think they'll replace my phone if I show them I can reproduce the issue with a Homebrew App.

    Or, is this something Sprint & Palm know about and they replace the earlier units just by asking? I've done some searching on Precentral but haven't really found anything (maybe I'm not using the right keyword searches) and was just curious of your source of information.

    Thanks again.

    Mike
  12. #72  
    I think I am getting some studdering while editing a video and attempting to play, can anyone else reproduce?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Everytime Luna (the GUI) starts, it will try to set the CPU to 500mHz (or 600, if you patched it). These command override that by changing the way the system sets the CPU speed: from waiting for something to tell it what to use to telling itself what to use based on load. HTH.
    so based on your explanation above, it would be wiser to have the system tell itself based on load. In other words, no need to always run at 600 if I am just sitting idle.
    Is that a fair statement?
    If yes, then would you say (i can smell your hesitation from down here in Miami), that these commands are a wiser solution than the 600 patch? Or (again), can they coexist?
  14. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #74  
    Thanks Pete. I was playing with this a week ago and noticed the same thing. Much better responses in 1.4. Hopefully that means Palm may be working to implement more power saving technologies on their end?
  15. #75  
    Update on my Scaling 500 patch adventure. For the first day everything seemed fine, good battery savings while my Pre was idle, but the second day I started to get freeze ups and my screen would go black and the remedy was to pull that battery. After this happened 3 times in one hour I decided to go ahead and remove this patch. So much for experiment.
  16. dsuycott's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Update on my Scaling 500 patch adventure. For the first day everything seemed fine, good battery savings while my Pre was idle, but the second day I started to get freeze ups and my screen would go black and the remedy was to pull that battery. After this happened 3 times in one hour I decided to go ahead and remove this patch. So much for experiment.
    i'm in the same boat but i haven't pulled the patch yet.
  17. #77  
    ok quick question related to but not about scaling.... I noticed that there is a way to overclock the Pre, at my own risk of course, and I am willing to try this out I just wanted to see how to go about this and how to insert the command. can i use wosqi and go thru the linux line and simply insert

    echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

    and if so do I adjust the number to what i would like it to run say 700000 or even 800000? I've seen the video and lets face it most phones (or atleast models) you only keep for about 2 years if that and I'd like to make my experience the best as possible and have my phone running as smooth and as fast as possible.

    Also if theres any test groups for these kinds of patches being created I'll judt say it know and stated that I'd like to participate.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLordO**** View Post
    ok quick question related to but not about scaling.... I noticed that there is a way to overclock the Pre, at my own risk of course, and I am willing to try this out I just wanted to see how to go about this and how to insert the command. can i use wosqi and go thru the linux line and simply insert

    echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

    and if so do I adjust the number to what i would like it to run say 700000 or even 800000? I've seen the video and lets face it most phones (or atleast models) you only keep for about 2 years if that and I'd like to make my experience the best as possible and have my phone running as smooth and as fast as possible.

    Also if theres any test groups for these kinds of patches being created I'll judt say it know and stated that I'd like to participate.
    Anything above 600Mhz will be ignored (or crash I can't remember), a result of the kernal's limit.
  19. #79  
    ok i applied the 600 patch but got a bunch of errors but something seems to have occured since my apps ar loading quickewr and response has definitly improved this is the result that ive had so far any feed back as to whether you think it stuck..
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    600000 6659
    550000 2628
    500000 173392
    250000 0
    125000 0
  20. #80  
    I've been expermenting with this method as a way to both increase interactive performance and to increase battery life at the same time by allowing scaling into the 250 and 125 ranges. In other words, trying for the "best of both worlds". My tests have been with running the standards applications and using Glyder2 as my 3D test along with recording some video and playing it back. On my Pre, I am able to find a happy spot based around using 125-600 as long as I use 1000000 for the sampling rate. I've found that using between 20 and 40 for the up_treshold seems to work without issues.

    Here is my current script that I call from the command line, I have not put it into a automatcially executable mode since I won't be satisfied for a week or so and need to be able to three-finger-salute it back to standard as I use it for business purposes.

    My script (note the commented out line for 250MHz as min and uncommented for 125MHz as min)
    Code:
    # Set ondemand governor
    cpufreq-set -g ondemand
    
    # Set 30 as the up threshold
    echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    
    # Set sampling rate
    echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    
    # Set min speed (pick one)
    #echo 250000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo 125000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    
    # Simple output for verification
    echo -n Governor:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    
    echo -n Threshold:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    
    echo -n Sampling:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
    
    echo -n Min Speed:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    
    echo -n Max Speed:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    
    echo -n Cur Speed:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    Here are my time_in_state numbers since last night with some amount of time being run without the settings which shows up as increased 500MHz time.
    Code:
    600000 757126
    550000 6852
    500000 627314
    250000 42324
    125000 3237090
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions