Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinci1 View Post
    is this doable using WOSQI?
    someone would have to make a patch for it. otherwise we are all simply typing it in via novaterm.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I am definitely getting time at 125 and 250 mHz.

Can anyone get cut and paste to work in novaterm?
    Has anybody tried the Scaling 500 patch in Preware after the 1.4 update?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I installed cpufreq-utils out of optware. It makes this a lot easier to manage.
    when exactly does the cpu scale? During idle phase? Screen off?

and when in use, it hits 600mhz?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

The Linux cpufreq system (which is what the scaling manipulates) is used to set the frequency of the CPU. There are a variety of governors for the system which controls the behaviour of the CPU. On the Pre (all webos phones?) there are two installed governors: userspace and ondemand. On webos the userspace governor is default, which is part of how LunaSysMgr sets the CPU speed at 500mHz. This also explains how 3D games raise it to 600mHz: when a game is launch a command is run to raise the speed and when a game istossed away another command is run to drop it (some of that was speculation but it makes sense). To do scaling like this we are enabling the ondemand governor. Based on seveal parameters, the ondemand governor adjusts the CPU speed dynamically to balance the need to do work versus conserve energy. The instructions given in this thread set a floor of 500mHz, which is the speed Palm uses, and bumps it up to 600mHz when needed. The default settings go as low as 125mHz, which is where the CPU will spend time when it is idle. Theoretically this will reduce energy consumption when the device is truly idle, but of course various tasks such as checking email will cause the speed to jump around.
    Is there anyway to make it stick after an update
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    Is there anyway to make it stick after an update
    It shouldn't be hard, I just haven't tried to do it yet. Most of these settings looked like default except for setting the min speed to 500mHz (default is125). If you have optware installed you can install the cpufreq-utils package and just run cpufreq-set -g ondemand. That will enable scaling using default settings.
    is this better than the 600 mhz patch thats in the threads??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    angiest, thanks for being very thorough

question: for the 600mhz patch from marco, is it always FULL TIME 600??

for users that do not need battery consumption (me) and only need the speed, is the full time 600mhz patch a better use?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    angiest, thanks for being very thorough

question: for the 600mhz patch from marco, is it always FULL TIME 600??

for users that do not need battery consumption (me) and only need the speed, is the full time 600mhz patch a better use?
    The default governor is userspace, which basically allows applications to set the speed "permanently." Therefore, the LunaSysMgr patch originally from unixpsycho (and which marco and caj2008 were working with) keeps the speed at 600mHz all the time. For your needs I would guess 600mHz is best, but your best bet is to try both and see.
    how do i load this one??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There are a couple of different scaling patches in the wiki that can be used with wosqi. One of them will set a min freq of 500mhz and max 600mhz, while the other will use the full frequency range of 125 to 600. These are the patches that were developed a while ago and put in preware at one point. I don't know if they are doing the same thing that you are doing here, but if they are then i might try them again. I had the video and shut down issues, that were mentioned in the op, when i used them with 1.3.5
    The speed is fine on my Pre, very little lag, apps open within a second or two. I really liked the battery savings of the SR 500 patch, I would set my Pre down a 10 PM with a full charge and the at 8 AM my battery still be at 95%. I used this patch for 4 months, never had a problem with it, but after 1.4 update my screen started to freeze so I was forced to remove this patch. I just finished installing the scaling 500 patch and my Pre booted up fine and everything seems to be running fine. I opened some apps, no problems so far. I got the Battery Monitor app running now to check my Pre's battery consumption while idle. I'll keep you posted.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I couldn't use scaling before, had stability problems. Thus far in 1.4 it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone know what version(s) of kernel Android is using? The problems with ondemand and smartreflex (which I have confirmed for myself) may be resolved in newer releases of kernel. The 2.6.24 Palm is using is fairly old in terms of Linux kernel development.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i would love to try but waiting for the file so it can stick after reboot. Pete, have you tried the old vitviper script on 1.4?
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    i would love to try but waiting for the file so it can stick after reboot. Pete, have you tried the old vitviper script on 1.4?
    the whole point of this was to set settings in the kernel one time and let the kernel do its thing. I dont like unnecessary scripts running in the background, especially when there is no need for it. I worked with vitviper back in the day and those scripts, especially the ones that enable smartflex too are not so stable. The one that is stable is the one that throttles the userspace frequencies via a script without smartflex.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    There are a couple of different scaling patches in the wiki that can be used with wosqi. One of them will set a min freq of 500mhz and max 600mhz, while the other will use the full frequency range of 125 to 600. These are the patches that were developed a while ago and put in preware at one point. I don't know if they are doing the same thing that you are doing here, but if they are then i might try them again. I had the video and shut down issues, that were mentioned in the op, when i used them with 1.3.5
    they are not doing the same thing. The trick is to get a proper sampling rate to fix flicker in some apps like video, camera, pandora etc.. So im using 1 second sampling rates (derived emperically). Also a up threshold is key to eliminating most problems. I am using 20% here but i also like anything from 11-20% so you can use anything in between. Most of those patches have 30% which is way too high (especially for pandora).
  19.    #39  

it scales when the load on the cpu is higher than the up threshold. So in this case it scales when you go above 20% cpu utilization.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    The Linux cpufreq system (which is what the scaling manipulates) is used to set the frequency of the CPU. There are a variety of governors for the system which controls the behaviour of the CPU. On the Pre (all webos phones?) there are two installed governors: userspace and ondemand. On webos the userspace governor is default, which is part of how LunaSysMgr sets the CPU speed at 500mHz. This also explains how 3D games raise it to 600mHz: when a game is launch a command is run to raise the speed and when a game istossed away another command is run to drop it (some of that was speculation but it makes sense). To do scaling like this we are enabling the ondemand governor. Based on seveal parameters, the ondemand governor adjusts the CPU speed dynamically to balance the need to do work versus conserve energy. The instructions given in this thread set a floor of 500mHz, which is the speed Palm uses, and bumps it up to 600mHz when needed. The default settings go as low as 125mHz, which is where the CPU will spend time when it is idle. Theoretically this will reduce energy consumption when the device is truly idle, but of course various tasks such as checking email will cause the speed to jump around.
    thanks for the help. nice explination
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast