1.    #1  
    This seems to happen at least once a month...

The keyboard on the Pre will completely stop working. The volume and power buttons both work. The gesture area works, and the phone functions as normal, but it will not take any input from the keyboard.

A restart does not fix the problem; I have to pull out the battery.

I've had 3 Pres (that says something right there...) and it has happened on all 3.

Any ideas?
    If it happens on all 3, I would assume it's an issue with that batch of phones. Call Palm, tell them what's happened, and usually they're really good about working with you and may even send you a new phone.
  3.    #3  
    The 3 pres I've had have about an 8 month spread... seems pretty wide to be a bad "batch."
    We have 3 launch day Pres and never had this problem, might be the luck of the draw.
    Based on the facts you present I would guess there is a software glitch with some
    app or patch you may have installed. Doctor the phone, wait a week or so before
    putting new apps or patches in and see if that solves the problem.
    It's funny that I found this post because this exact thing just happened to me about 20 minutes ago. This was the first time I have had this problem. The keyboard was not working but I could still navigate around with the touchscreen. I restarted twice and the keyboard still would not work. I pulled the battery and when my Pre powered back up the keyboard began to work again.

After someone else here mentioned a possible app or patch problem I would be curious to see if we have some overlap of patches to narrow the search.
    my wifes Verizon Pre did this just last night. Her Pre is not patched or anything.
    everyone here seems to have a software problem... i'm pretty sure i have a hardware problem. I have it where just the bottom row of my keyboard will randomly stop working and usually if i push on the back of the phone it will start working again. I feel like i'm the only one with this
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreDave View Post
    Based on the facts you present I would guess there is a software glitch with some
    app or patch you may have installed. Doctor the phone, wait a week or so before
    putting new apps or patches in and see if that solves the problem.
    It doesn't happen very often; it can go a month without happening. So waiting a week or so after doctoring the phone won't do anything.

And this happened back before there was apps in the app store...
    Just had this problem for the first time today too. Have just one patch running, and I know it's not the issue. Battery pull fixed it, but before I read up on it, I was fully ready to ship my Pre back to Sprint.

Again.
    i had this a few months ago too - and it resurfaced a few days ago! But it seems to be happening more frequently now, i've lost it everyday since - with a battery pull required. There are a few other threads where people have had the same problem and they have had a replacement - but there's never a known reason for it.

I'm taking mine back for a replacement on the weekend.