1.    #1  
    Hello Gents,

It is sad but O2 in UK shows very little love to our beloved Palm Pre... why? Nowadays it's almost impossible to spot the Pre on the O2 website and there is no advertising at all, as if they are trying to hide it.... same thing with Carphonewarehouse

O2 don't produce any number about the units sold (apart from saying good sales) and generally the staff in the shops try to dissuade customers from chosing it.

I mean I know that it is hard for the Pre to compete with the iphone here in UK cose of the same network, but why Palm has chosen O2 i don't understand

Personally I was well informed about it but how palm thinks to make good sales if they don't advertise it properly.

I have a lot of faith in Palm and I really think that webOS is the state of the art of the mobile platforms but they have to do something about marketing something that shows exactly what the Pre is able to do... it's not that difficult to say the truth

btw this is my first post
    I totally agree,

Its been siphoned away as a phone, and the obvious comparisons have made it difficult.

This phone should NOT have gone the same route as the iphone and released on 1 network only as an exclusive. They wanted to be different from Apple - should have released to ALL networks in the UK and shown what the phone was about.

Because, when it comes down to it, the size of the Pre is pocket-friendly compared to all the larger phones, therefore people would have chosen this. And a few days of using the Pre, you cant use another phone........
    I agree with both of you. Its a real shame. The Pre and WebOS are both great. The Pre needs to be released on a few more networks in my opinion. The only good thing about O2 is that they gave me a free touchstone
    OČ Germany likes the Pre, was calling in yesterday for contract extension, they asked me if i want one, but had to decline
    everyone in the uk wants an iphone so its probably much more lucrative for o2 to push that product than the pre...

only those who know what's good for them go for the pre and not follow everyone else and get an iphone!
    I don't see why O2 don't push the Pre more now that they no longer have iphone exclusivity. Most of the ads on tv for the iphone seem to be coming from Orange and Vodaphone.
    A snappy ad campaign and a couple of well chosen advertising slots could easily push the Pre to the front of peoples imagination.

The Pre is for those who dare to be different..
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdonline View Post
    everyone in the uk wants an iphone so its probably much more lucrative for o2 to push that product than the pre...

only those who know what's good for them go for the pre and not follow everyone else and get an iphone!
    In Greece we say: baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdonline View Post

You're right.

Theres too many Sheeple in the UK. I've never be one to follow the crowd, and have a, urgh, common device (aka iPhone).

Part of the reason i'm guessing is to do with the familiar price points, coupled with build quality, and that the OS still isnt really polished. Once webOS 2.0 hits, and all the kinks are worked out, as well as Apps not really being an issue (paid being available) then O2 wont really have a reason not to push this phone.

I was going to post a thread about this too, Palm is now included in the "smartphones" section, i'd never have found it if i hadnt specifically known what i was looking for. Before there would be a dedicated "Palm" link below the iPhone, now where the hecks it gone? o_O

O2 stated this was their most successful smartphone, huh? Seems it. O2 Germany has the right idea though i must admit.
    There seems to be a thought process here on this board, and elswhere that the iPhone was an all conquering product from day one. This is simply just not the case. When O2 launched the iPhone they had massive countdown to 6.02 (get it) when the iphone went on sale, then nothing happened, no floods of calls to the Sales team, nothing, dida, zip.

It was only with the iphone 3G that people started to buy the iphone in droves, and ironicly o2 sell more iphones now month on month now that they do not have an exclusice than they ever did before.

The only reason I see for Apple now shifting the numbers that they do is due to the massive App Store. when the 3G launched they also launched the App Stoer and that drove the numbers. Now Apple advertis the App store more than they do the iPhone.

When Palm get the App catalog(ue) out of Beta for GSM then I believe things will change, The three free EA games are a move in the right direction, but a carefully times advertising campaign once the Apps become available will do wonders.

This is a crucial time for Palm and I believe they can pull it off and be successful, but a phone will sell regardless of which network it is on. People leave networks everyday for exclusive phones, they even leave networks for exclusive colours. The only thing I think Palm can do, is try to shift on the pricepoint, but then that is a different argument.

Sorry just my two cents.
    They've just got to get one onto Top Gear...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Hmmm. I have to agree. The advertising for the Pre is nothing short of terrible... They've not shown what the phone can do! Or at least not properly.

I went to the Odeon a few days ago and the Palm Pre advert was on. The one with the critique reviews at the start? And then just the phone slowly spinning... Now, if you ask me, just because somebody is says its a good smartphone, I'm not going to rush to the shops to get one. They need to show off its design more. Maybe just how easy it is to navigate around it. I don't know. I'm not paid to do this stuff :P

One of the main reasons I went to the Palm Pre (from my 18 month contract with my Nokia N95 8GB) is because I love o2... They're just excellent! It was logical to be loyal to them.

Anyway, if people don't buy the Pre soon, the investment into it will just diminish. o2 will see no return on their advertising and call it off. However, at the end of the day, this phone is going to be around for a while before Palm decide to bring out another one in the UK.

Either way, I still love my Pre <3
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The advertising in Ireland is awful. If it wasn't for me being a bit of a tech nerd... not that I know what I'm doing, I just love gadgets, I would never have known about the Pre and probs would have gone from my BlackBerry to an iPhone. As it is I got my Pre on the first day of release, and despite it's bugginess I love it, that is probably solely down to this site, as people on here have sorted every problem I've had with the phone!

A newcomer to super/smart/whatever phones would be quickly turned off by the difficulties in running this phone smoothly, battery life etc. I am sticking with it as I think the OS is fantastic and really intuitive, when it works.

I've seen 2 ads on tv since I bought my Pre, and that's a long time ago. There are no posters in the main shops in Dublin and the Pre's are hidden in the corner of the shop where you really wouldn't find them. It's almost as if O2 reluctantly stocked them purely because they were getting sole supplier status... feels like they didn;t really want to carry them at all. iPhones have their own floor of one of the shops here! Pre gets a dusty shelf in the corner... and no sales assistant has even known how to unlock the screen when I've gone in with issues... so I stopped. Far more info here than from the authorised dealers... sigh... Pre will not last long this side of the world at this rate.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Oh dear, no way for Palm Pre. Every second people has an iPhone 3G/3Gs or BlackBerry in UK.
    Was just about to start work yesterday and then a colleague walks in and says "Get an iPhone! I have one!" to which I replied "NO! That's exactly why I don't want an iPhone! EVERYBODY HAS ONE!".

I'm not the one for following trends or anything. My previous phone was a Nokia N95 8GB and then towards the end of my contract, I saw lots and lots of people with them. And then I got my Pre

Anyway, back on topic, in my local o2 store, they have a shelve as you walk in to the right where the iPhone display used to be and it has 5 Palm Pre's all on touchstones with accessories (Touchstone kits, cases, headphones, etc.) above it. However, I don't see people playing with the Pre's... Not as many as when the iPhones were there.

On the first day of the Palm Pre's sale in the UK, I thought there was a huge buzz about it because it did have a bit of external publicity such as newspaper and TV reviews but I was the first person at my local store to purchase one... Then again, the store had only been open for around 45 minutes :P
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The problem is that Palm has no brand value in the UK, the phone might as well be made by Sagem or Wangtron for all the difference it makes. With a bigger marketing push that might have changed but clearly the sales are at a level where it's not worth 02 putting additional resources behind the phone. My local store has sold one unit per week since launch and the people in the shop tell me that this is similar to what they hear from other 02 employees.
    Last edited by CGK; 03/07/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    I too find it sad the little Palm stand in the O2 shops with no one pushing the sales, I have even shown a customer in a shop what a Pre can do as the sales assistant was not interested and I dont even work there I just wanted to see someone else with a Pre. In the 6 months I have owned my Pre I have never seen anyone else using one. Come on Palm you have a winning product the UI is the most satisifying one I have used but the public does not know it exist.

and yes the uniformed are like sheep and buy the iPhone rather than get something stands out from the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by boiz View Post
    Hello Gents,

It is sad but O2 in UK shows very little love to our beloved Palm Pre... why? Nowadays it's almost impossible to spot the Pre on the O2 website and there is no advertising at all, as if they are trying to hide it.... same thing with Carphonewarehouse

O2 don't produce any number about the units sold (apart from saying good sales) and generally the staff in the shops try to dissuade customers from chosing it.

I mean I know that it is hard for the Pre to compete with the iphone here in UK cose of the same network, but why Palm has chosen O2 i don't understand

Personally I was well informed about it but how palm thinks to make good sales if they don't advertise it properly.

I have a lot of faith in Palm and I really think that webOS is the state of the art of the mobile platforms but they have to do something about marketing something that shows exactly what the Pre is able to do... it's not that difficult to say the truth

btw this is my first post
    I don't think so. Since last October, sorry not October, since last July O2 has advertising about Pre front page beside iPhone and they kept this more then 6 months. All O2 retail stores have standalone Palm designed desks with two palm and accessories. Lats months whole UK had on street, large shopping centres and etc Palm Pre advertising with very cool writing "Hottest phone in the world! only on O2" what more do you looking?

I think O2 taken off palm advertise because there's new Palm handset coming...