Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    sorta wonder how this app is #1 when it cant fully view Google Voice transcription even though its sent in the same email it gets the audio from.. :P
    Ok, don't kill me. But I just want to make sure I have this right.

I used to use the YouMail beta app, and I stopped using it because YouMail charged for transcribed voicemails. So I started to use Google Voice and gDialPro for free transcripts. Obviously the gDialPro app is down so it kind of sucks having to navigate to the mobile google voice and read there and have no play back other than calling.

Also, I like to use my regular Sprint number and just the voicemail part of GV.

So here's my question, If I use YouMail again, am I going to have to set my Sprint voicemail to forward to YouMail? And then after I follow the YouMail->GV instructions, when people call my regular (Sprint) number, and the voicemail picks up.. is it the GV voicemail? Or YouMail? Because I still want all my voicemails transcribed..

Hopefully that was explained enough so someone could explain this to me. Thanks
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Ok, don't kill me. But I just want to make sure I have this right.

I used to use the YouMail beta app, and I stopped using it because YouMail charged for transcribed voicemails. So I started to use Google Voice and gDialPro for free transcripts. Obviously the gDialPro app is down so it kind of sucks having to navigate to the mobile google voice and read there and have no play back other than calling.

Also, I like to use my regular Sprint number and just the voicemail part of GV.

So here's my question, If I use YouMail again, am I going to have to set my Sprint voicemail to forward to YouMail? And then after I follow the YouMail->GV instructions, when people call my regular (Sprint) number, and the voicemail picks up.. is it the GV voicemail? Or YouMail? Because I still want all my voicemails transcribed..

Hopefully that was explained enough so someone could explain this to me. Thanks
    LoL no problem. So let me understand, you want to use your Sprint phone number, have Google Voice as your voicemail, and use YouView?

If so no problem we can do that

Setup an account with YouMail which you should already have since you used the beta version. Now instead of telling your phone to forward to YouMail, tell it to forward to Google. That will get you setup with GV on your Sprint number. Now you need to tell Google to send email notifications to your YouMail account, these instructions are outlined in our forum or in the app under Help-> Dropbox. If you have questions or need more details no prob let us know.

So now you should have your Sprint Number forwarded to Google Voice to use as your Voicemail and then have Google Voice sending notifications to YouMail which YouView will grab from.

Hope that makes sense if not ask questions and we can work through it.

Keep in mind only a partial transcription is shown currently for Google Voice (unless you have a transcription plan).
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Alright, so I read the directions you gave to me and I'm also looking at the other thread you posted for Google Voice Setup Instructions. I'm at part 3 where it says

3. Log into your Google Voice account and add {Your-YouMail-Account-Phone-Number}@my.youmail.com to your Google Voice account.
    I don't know if I'm just being stupid or what.. but when I go to Settings > Phones > Add another phone, it won't allow me to add my sprint#@my.youmail.com

Can you enlighten me? Thanks a lot.

Edit:

Nevermind... I got it. Sorry I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.
    Last edited by tooearly; 04/20/2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Cause I'm stupid.
  5.    #65  
    LOL no prob, let us know if you have any more questions
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

I'm trying to think of a better way us Google Voice users can still get our free transcription. Visual Voicemail is not Visual Voicemail when all we can see is the first 1.5 lines of it. What I miss is the email that Google Voice sent me which now goes to YouMail. It seems you can only have 1 email sent. I know we can have a SMS text still sent to us but it is ugly compared to the nice clean email we were sent with the body of our transcription all nicely formatted. Is there any way you can allow those of us using Google Voice to have the original Google Voice email you guys received forwarded to us as well? I know you have an option in preferences for SMS or Email notifications and it would be awesome if you could have the Google Voice users email notification be the original one from Google Voice rather than the YouMail one. I understand the need for $1.99/month pay to get YouMail's transcription service but I don't understand why that should obstruct the free Google Voice users from access to the transcription you are already being sent from Google Voice. We don't have to pay Google for that transcription so why should we have to pay YouMail? Can we come up with some sort of option in the pipeline to better the Google Voice users experience with this app?
    Thanks,
    Second Try, Can the developer answer these few questions?

1. Can you listen to the Google VM in the app itself?
    2. Does the VM audio come out the speaker like GDial Pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Second Try, Can the developer answer these few questions?

1. Can you listen to the Google VM in the app itself?
    2. Does the VM audio come out the speaker like GDial Pro?
    Yes you can listen to the VM in the app itself, however they don't tend to play properly unless you choose the option in preferences to have them downloaded to phone. Yes, they only play through the speaker.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm trying to think of a better way us Google Voice users can still get our free transcription. Visual Voicemail is not Visual Voicemail when all we can see is the first 1.5 lines of it. What I miss is the email that Google Voice sent me which now goes to YouMail. It seems you can only have 1 email sent. I know we can have a SMS text still sent to us but it is ugly compared to the nice clean email we were sent with the body of our transcription all nicely formatted. Is there any way you can allow those of us using Google Voice to have the original Google Voice email you guys received forwarded to us as well? I know you have an option in preferences for SMS or Email notifications and it would be awesome if you could have the Google Voice users email notification be the original one from Google Voice rather than the YouMail one. I understand the need for $1.99/month pay to get YouMail's transcription service but I don't understand why that should obstruct the free Google Voice users from access to the transcription you are already being sent from Google Voice. We don't have to pay Google for that transcription so why should we have to pay YouMail? Can we come up with some sort of option in the pipeline to better the Google Voice users experience with this app?
    Thanks,
    Remember Google Voice is a competitor to YouMail so it is surprising that they even pass along the partial transcription since that is their source of revenue. My guess as to the reason they offer Google Voice integration is because they feel they can capitalize on Google's poor transcriptions.

Now that being said, we may look forward down the road to how we could integrate with Google Voice a little better on our own, but it is not something we are exploring actively at this time. Our focus is with YouMail.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Remember Google Voice is a competitor to YouMail so it is surprising that they even pass along the partial transcription since that is their source of revenue. My guess as to the reason they offer Google Voice integration is because they feel they can capitalize on Google's poor transcriptions.

Now that being said, we may look forward down the road to how we could integrate with Google Voice a little better on our own, but it is not something we are exploring actively at this time. Our focus is with YouMail.
    Thanks for the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Yes you can listen to the VM in the app itself, however they don't tend to play properly unless you choose the option in preferences to have them downloaded to phone. Yes, they only play through the speaker.
    is it a software limitation why audo cannot be played back through the earpiece?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    is it a software limitation why audo cannot be played back through the earpiece?
    I believe its an SDK limitation that Palm hasn't given devs access to yet. GdialPro, Visual Voicemail, etc. all were in the same boat.
    Took me a while to figured out, but I'm happy now
    The steps:
    1. Follow original YouView instructions to setup with google voice. But make your YouMail account use anything but gmail to start, then you can change it back.
    2. Re-enable your phone to use google voice. Make it disconnect from youmail first.
    3. Use the youmail email to forward your messages via email and sms.
    4. You are done!

Just make sure you pick the best notification combination or you are gonna get too many. I'm using only sms from google because it gives me a full transcription.
    i put <mynumber>@my.youmail.com and the verification email never comes through, even in the spam mailbox.

I must have attempted this 10 times and I have yet to see an email come through to my gmail account associated with the youmail account.

Any thoughts on this process? Its not being filtered out...
    Nevermind it looks like google is blocking this forward. I used my live.com email to get the forwarding setup and that did the trick. Thanks Treo Rock
    With the latest update, I'm no longer seeing my contact photo's on the contacts I've added through synergy within YouView. Anyone else having this trouble? I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app completely and same problem, no matter how many resyncs I do.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234