Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This new rumored BlackBerry remind you of anything?

BlackBerry slider photos leak out! -- Engadget
    I wouldn't say catches on, its only one device. I'm about to dump my pre because of that form factor the built quality sucks.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    This new rumored BlackBerry remind you of anything?

BlackBerry slider photos leak out! -- Engadget
    I agree with you. Moto is also planning one. Its the best form factor for one handed usage.
    form factor =/= build quality
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    form factor =/= build quality
    Very true, which is what helps explain why my launch-day Pre is solid as a rock.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I wouldn't say catches on, its only one device. I'm about to dump my pre because of that form factor the built quality sucks.
    I don't disagree that the build quality for the Pre is less than optimum, but what makes you think that it's due to the form factor?

nb
    The pre has a slider thats paper thickness apart. I have never seen a slider so close together.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The issue is with the rounded shape and the flimsy back cover (for Sprint). They could have made a complete rectangle slab like Droid with a vertical slider. That would have been looked "Solid" and "High Quality". Plus folks might like the slab shape. Just ask a SPRINT sales guy about HTC Hero. Current Pre shape is not mainstream.

Its like having a SAAB hatch, in the middle of square sedans, real hatchbacks and wagons.
    For me, build quality is fantastic..i've dropped my pre on hard surfaces more than a few times with nary a crack
    I thought it was the best form factor, but now I don't. Just the hassle of sliding out the keyboard is enough to discourage using it, not to mention the mechanical complexity. I think a device should be either touch or key driven, but not both.

The 9700 screen resolution is higher than the Pre's, but it can stay small and accommodate a fixed keyboard because it's not touch based. A touch UI dictates a large screen regardless of resolution.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Just cause I think it's funny... look familiar? PPC6600 by Audiovox from around 2003. I remember thinking I didn't like the form factor. After using the PPC6700 for a couple years, I grew tired of the horizontal slide keyboard.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/03/2010 at 03:23 PM.
    My launch day Pre build quality is great, but to get back to the topic, the BB still does not webOS.
    no webos... lame

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I absolutely love the Pre form factor after actually owning it. I honestly got it strictly for the wifi... but now I'm not sure I would like the Pixi better. Don't get me wrong... I believe the two form factors to be pretty dern perfect, just in different ways.

I just like the bigger screen and ability to snap it open one-handed to unlock it. I snap this thing dozens of times a day because I'm OCD. And twist it when it's closed about 1 mm. It doesn't twist when it's open, tho. I've mistreated it, dropped it, and this phantomskinz is the only thing "protecting" it.

A+, Jon Rubenstein. You've changed my life.
    I like it but I doubt I would leave my Pre for it. Palm could have made the Pre built like a tank and some people would complain that it's too heavy... I love the Pre's compact size which is hard to beat. I prefer vertical sliders because horizontal are just annoying having to flip the phone all the time. I could never get use to typing on a horizontal kb no matter which one I tried.
    Yea I like the Pre form factor very much! I definitely wanted a physical keyboard, and would have grabbed a landscape keyboard if one came along that had all the features I wanted.. but because I don't use the keyboard a whole lot I thought the portrait keyboard was the best choice.

And I LOVE how tight the join is on the Pre slider! Pretty much everybody I show it to (who doesn't know about it) are surprised when I pop the slider keyboard open. It really is a great design. Now if Crackberry makes one similar but of higher quality & perhaps throw some metal into the materials list then they'll sell like hotcakes
    I also like the form-factor. The Pre feels like a polished stone in your hand. When I open it, it is solid. So far, so good.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    that blackberry thing is ugly
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    yuck it looks ugly
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    ...They could have made a complete rectangle slab like Droid with a vertical slider. That would have been looked "Solid" and "High Quality". Plus folks might like the slab shape. Just ask a SPRINT sales guy about HTC Hero. Current Pre shape is not mainstream.

Its like having a SAAB hatch, in the middle of square sedans, real hatchbacks and wagons.
    I'm glad the Pre is not "mainstream". Nothing like being one more lemming in a sea of clones, right? Palm needed a break-away device (one year ago) with a break-away OS. Styling had to follow suit.

I'm glad Palm didn't listen to the scores of folk that likely tried to convince them to go with a rectangle slab. IMHO the Pre form factor trumps any other design on the market - from a strickly design and aesthetic perspective that is.

I'll be the first to trumpet my disdain for the aesthetic of the Droid. I find it clunky and utilitarian at best.

But hey, I'm a designer. So I'm always going to go for the more fluid shapes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast