Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everybody,
    Being that the last thread got hijacked by one poster, and things got lost in the shuffle, and then my sister was having problems with her phone, I figured I'd throw a step by step guide to doing the 1.4 upgrade on your Pre, in the best way that it worked for me.
    Some people will tell you that you don't have to go through all these steps, and that may work well with your particular situation. That being said, I have seen a lot of issues out there with "patch residue" and things of that nature, and with all the time people seem to be wasting trying 16 million other solutions with no success, I thought I'd explain in detail how I went about getting my Pre back to 1.4 goodness.

DISCLAIMER: This may or may not be the best solution for you, and if it isn't please don't bombard this thread with useless information. We are trying to help people here, not make them more frustrated. Nor should they be subjected to having to scroll through tons of meaningless posts to get the answers they want and need.

DISCLAIMER II: I would HIGHLY advise being in an area where you have a strong and fast WI-FI connection once you begin this process.

So here goes..... (And if anyone has any steps that they feel should be deleted or added, please feel free to chime in)

Step 1- Make 3 folders on your desktop. Name the first one 1.2.1, the second one 1.4.0, and the third one WebOS Quick Install.

Step 1- Download the WebOS doctor version 1.2.1 from here (You should save it in the folder on your desktop called 1.2.1)

Step 2- Download the WebOS doctor version 1.4.0 from here (You should save it in the folder on your desktop called 1.4.0

Step 3- Download WebOS Quick Install 3.02 from here (You should save it in the folder on your desktop called WebOS Quick Install)

Step 4- Connect your phone to your computer (Make sure your pics and vids and music are backed up at this point, because there is NO TURNING BACK.

Step 5- Choose the "Just Charge" option.

Step 6- Open the folder 1.2.1 and double click the file inside there (should be named webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar)

Step 7- Allow the 1.2.1 process to complete.

Step 8- Disconnect the phone from the USB cable and allow it to resync with Palm servers.

Step 9- Once your phone has been re-setup, and is back to the launcher screen, reconnect it to the USB cable, and once again choose the "just charge" option.

Step 10- Open up the folder on your desktop called 1.4.0 and double click the file inside. (should also be named webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar)

Step 11- Allow the 1.4.0 process to complete.

Step 12- Once this is done, disconnect the phone from the USB cable and allow the phone to once again resync with Palm servers.

Step 13- After you are back on the launcher screen, type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. This will allow you to choose to enter developer mode.

Step 14. After the phone reboots, plug the phone back in with the usb cable and choose the "just charge" option.

Step 15- Open the folder on your desktop named WebOS Quick Install, and double click on the file inside (should be named Webosquickinstall.jar)

Step 16- Hit the BLUE arrow on the lower right hand portion of your screen.

Step 17- Choose the WebOS internals (ALL) feed (name may be wrong it's close)

Step 18- Choose Package Manager Service and Preware and hit the download button.

Step 19- Hit the install button back on the WebOS Quick Install screen.

Step 20- Unplug, Reboot your phone, and VOILA! Enjoy!

Alternatively, you can just use WebOS Quick Install 3.02 to install your patches. The method above assumes you use Preware.

Thanks a bunch for listening everyone. Maybe this will alleviate some of the heartache that some of us have been going through.

I know, I know, I know.....it's a little bit of a long process but isn't your Pre worth it?

Cheers!

Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
    What about steps 35, 8, 31, 4, 16 and 43?

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    What about steps 35, 8, 31, 4, 16 and 43?
    Lucky I like you dBd
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Lucky I like you dBd
    LoL
    I'm not hijacking, just trying to lighten the mood from your "civility" thread.

Good work, though.
    I still dont understand the point of the 1.2 other than deleting the stuff of the usb side. 1.3.5.1 was a mistake in the sense that it left stuff, its been fixed with 1.4 dr. I Appreciate what your doing here, but is the 1.2 actually removing anything that a erase and then a dr cant do?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I still dont understand the point of the 1.2 other than deleting the stuff of the usb side. 1.3.5.1 was a mistake in the sense that it left stuff, its been fixed with 1.4 dr. I Appreciate what your doing here, but is the 1.2 actually removing anything that a erase and then a dr cant do?
    In my experience....that would be yes...but that's just me...
    Nice job!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    In my experience....that would be yes...but that's just me...
    My experience is also Yes. 1.3.5.1 didn't completely replace offending patches and various noise left around, and I don't believe 1.4.0 does either. (I have experience with this and 1.3.5.1 not 1.4.0). Anyway, 1.2.0 will get you back to bone stock.

Powerbyte - I followed this exact same procedure on Sunday and I am a very happy camper with my phone. If you have lots of restarting issues, patches that won't apply, patches that won't remove, ..... Then this is very likely the BEST way to solve it.
    I just installed the update over my patches and homebrews. And everything is fine. Had to reanable ssh. Even my daily backup with rsync over wifi still works. But if some has problems you provide a god guid.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Thank you! Very helpful post. Should be a "Sticky".
    Question to the OP: I agree that doctoring to 1.2.1 will COMPLETELY wipe the device, and then you can start fresh from there. Have you tried the FULL erase from a 1.4 updated Pre and then, if necessary, doctor straight to 1.4?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  13.    #13  
    yes...it did not seem to help me though as my multiple launcher pages were still there and I also had no internet....
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Has the issue of restoring a backup from a lower version wiping data (contacts, tasks) been resolved?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    Has the issue of restoring a backup from a lower version wiping data (contacts, tasks) been resolved?
    I went down to 1.2 then up to 1.4...everything came back up fine.
    you have a lot of free time huh, but great guide tho
    Just an FYI: 1.4 erase from device will do the same thing 1.2 Webdr will do. It's not really needed anymore to drop down to WebDr 1.2.

Nice guide either way. Thanks
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    yes...it did not seem to help me though as my multiple launcher pages were still there and I also had no internet....
    I think the added launcher pages (and apps) are saved with palm profile, so even after doing a full erase (or doctoring w/ 1.2.1), they will restore.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I don't know about the added pages option itself, but the 3rdparty apps
    themselves are out on /media/cryptofs how (sharing the same partition as /media/internal)
    which is why a normal Dr doesn't remove them.

A full erase (Device Info - Reset Options - Full Erase) followed by the Dr
    straight to 1.4 should do the same thing as all the steps above.
    (Warning: It will remove everything on your USB accessible partition)

ian
    Good set of instructions.

But I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people like me who just tapped the update icon and downloaded and installed 1.4 without a problem. Then updated patches without a problem. It worked for some of us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast