Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm sure this has been discussed before and many times, but come on...
    By now I was hoping to hear SOME news regarding this.

Getting answers regarding this, is worse then giving birth.

Prior to buying the Palm Pre I was assured that voice dialing was just around the corner. Well, here we are after another big update and surprise, surprise. No voice dialing.

As to people saying it doesn't work well anyway, well, it has worked great on every other cell phone I have ever had.

I love just about everything else about the Palm Pre, but this is a REALLY sore subject. Such a basic function. And yet, no go. No answers. No info. I hear crickets...

Talking to customer service about this was like either talking to a computer, or someone illiterate. Yes, I'm really frustrated. I used voice dialing all the time. And I miss it. And I feel I've been lied to. Yeah, my own fault to "have faith".

Anyway, sorry to go on and on about it, but does anyone have any NEW info regarding whether or when voice dialing is coming to the Palm Pre ? Is there hope yet (before the phone will die of old age).

Would LOVE to hear from someone affiliated with Palm. Those people have been the least helpful I've come across in my years of dealing with various customer service issues. And thats saying something...

Again, sorry for the vent.

And thank you for reading and perhaps taking the time to answer.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Perhaps maybe asking at Palm's forum might get your more information in regards to specific features. As far as feature sets, who told you that you'd get voice dialing. I've never heard it from Palm -- can you cite a specific source where you got that information?

Getting it from Sprint does not count, nor from a salesman. A salesman will tell you that Mars is inhabitable and their product can get you there -- if it means a sale. Palm isn't Sprint, Sprint isn't Palm.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure there has been news about this... and people showing code that had been modified in preparation for future voice dialing capabilities. Of course since you didn't search and find it, I won't try to either.
    why are people so friggin lazy? Voice dialing really?? who cares? why dont we use these forums to complain about the lack of USEFUL features. With universal search theres really no need for voice dialing and its probably quicker
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Warm and fuzzy in here.

Assumption central ?

First of all, I searched thoroughly on this subject. And yes, I have come across the info on "code for future voice dialing capabilities".

I was asking if anyone has come across any NEW info, that isn't easily googled yet...but thanks anyway.

And siteoner, what you deem useful or not, might not be that way for other people, imagine that. Feel free to only reply to useful complaining.
    There are reasons why I was using voice dial a lot, and laziness wasn't one of them.

Yes, originally I was told by a Sprint associate that voice dialing would be forthcoming. I have also chatted with a Palm customer service rep.
    He did say that it was "in the works" but that he was not allowed to say any more on the subject. So after 10 min of chat, I still see that carrot dangling in front of me, and am no closer to it or answers.

Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoward31 View Post
    Warm and fuzzy in here.

Assumption central ?

First of all, I searched thoroughly on this subject. And yes, I have come across the info on "code for future voice dialing capabilities".

I was asking if anyone has come across any NEW info, that isn't easily googled yet...but thanks anyway.

And siteoner, what you deem useful or not, might not be that way for other people, imagine that. Feel free to only reply to useful complaining.
    There are reasons why I was using voice dial a lot, and laziness wasn't one of them.

Yes, originally I was told by a Sprint associate that voice dialing would be forthcoming. I have also chatted with a Palm customer service rep.
    He did say that it was "in the works" but that he was not allowed to say any more on the subject. So after 10 min of chat, I still see that carrot dangling in front of me, and am no closer to it or answers.

Thanks for all the help.
    In your first post you made sound as if you didn't know the answer. So you found the thread showing the code for voice dialing. You spoke with a Sprint rep that said it was forthcoming. You also spoke with a Palm rep that said that it is in the works and that he couldn't say anymore. And then you said that you're no closer to it or answers.

You have your answers. It's in the works. No, you don't have an exact date but such is life. So I guess you have to wait until Palm releases it in a future software upgrade.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I talked to the Sprint Rep a few month ago, before purchasing the phone. I talked to Palm a couple of month ago. Most info I can find is weeks old.

So I wondered if anyone here had heard anything NEW.

My bad to come to a Palm Pre forum for Palm Pre info. Please disregard.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Go onto Palm chat and keep asking about it. Perhaps the squeeky wheel theory will apply. I would like this feature too. I would find it VERY USEFULL. Although universal search is fast I still need to look at the phone to press the keys and check the result. Pushing a button on my bluetooth headset and then just speaking a name is alot safer when driving.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    Go onto Palm chat and keep asking about it. Perhaps the squeeky wheel theory will apply. I would like this feature too. I would find it VERY USEFULL. Although universal search is fast I still need to look at the phone to press the keys and check the result. Pushing a button on my bluetooth headset and then just speaking a name is alot safer when driving.
    Thank you !!!

I work a lot with horses, and having to hold the phone and push buttons while leading a horse or even riding one, isn't fun. And yes, I do have to use the phone sometimes while working with the horses or around the barn .

I will go back to Palm Chat. I thought that was frustrating, but I'm beginning to think there is worse
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoward31 View Post
    Thank you !!!

I work a lot with horses, and having to hold the phone and push buttons while leading a horse or even riding one, isn't fun. And yes, I do have to use the phone sometimes while working with the horses or around the barn .

I will go back to Palm Chat. I thought that was frustrating, but I'm beginning to think there is worse
    You're welcome. I use my phone in the car alot. After having voice dialing for so long I got very used to it. When driving, I see people texting/dialing their phones while driving and I have to say it's pretty scary to see their cars swerving into other lanes of traffic as they take their attention off the road to look at the phone.

Hang in there. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.
    Just out of curiosity, do you use PhotoDialer? It's free in the App Catalog.

I know it doesn't replace voice dialing, but I find it useful in the car. Before I put the car in drive, I pull up the Photodialer card and have it ready in case I need to make a call.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you use PhotoDialer? It's free in the App Catalog.

I know it doesn't replace voice dialing, but I find it useful in the car. Before I put the car in drive, I pull up the Photodialer card and have it ready in case I need to make a call.
    No, but I'm going to check it out !! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you use PhotoDialer? It's free in the App Catalog. I know it doesn't replace voice dialing, but I find it useful in the car.
    Yeah, I was kinda' upset about no voice dialing when I first got my Pre, but the more I use the PhotoDialer app the less I miss it.

Of course I still think it's odd that a smartphone doesn't give developers access to the mic ... but that's a larger (although related) subject. I expect that this will eventually happen, but it sure is taking a long time.
    Let me first apologize for some members (and they will flame me for it). It does seem that precentral forums have gotten a little hostile and people have gotten frustrated.

I think the problem lies in all the complaining post about the Pre (Oh where is 1.4, flash, etc.). As I have said before and will say again, Constructive criticism should be welcomed and directed toward the right place. If you cannot find answers on the Palm forums then this is a great place to try. If your just coming to bash the phone, please leave, it has all been said before. If your coming with a legitimate complaint or you need real help, then stay.

Your question was legitimate and it seems some folks have forgotten what PreCentral is all about. Helping our fellow Pre users (at least that is why I joined).
    I completely disagree. Driving in the car, being able to tap your Bluetooth and say call "home" and it dialing the number is very nice. Its not about being lazy.

As far as the complaining comment, forums are meant to talk about the "good" and the "bad".

Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    why are people so friggin lazy? Voice dialing really?? who cares? why dont we use these forums to complain about the lack of USEFUL features. With universal search theres really no need for voice dialing and its probably quicker
    No the current API doesn't give us access to the mic (which would also be needed for voice dialing).

Since the vid cam was included in 1.4 (which also requires a mic), voice dialing should be near.... You'll still have to wait until Palm includes it in an update (which would require Sprint's cooperation).

Several apps are in a holding pattern until the API give us access to the mic. I'd def pay for an app such as shazaam.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 03/03/2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    I completely disagree. Driving in the car, being able to tap your Bluetooth and say call "home" and it dialing the number is very nice. Its not about being lazy.

As far as the complaining comment, forums are meant to talk about the "good" and the "bad".

To be fair everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. I for one do not use voice dialing, but do see its merits and uses. We should however learn to respond in a more productive way then saying your "lazy"
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    The info from January isn't really "old", but I guess it depends on how often you want updates. I doubt we'll hear anything official on it until:

1. Some community member has it worked out or nearly worked out.
    2. Palm officially announces it in an upcoming update.

I don't think you're going to get much more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    No the current API doesn't give us access to the mic (which would also be needed for voice dialing).

Since the vid cam was included in 1.4 (which also requires a mic), voice dialing should be near.... You'll still have to wait until Palm includes it in an update (which would require Sprint's cooperation).

Several apps are in a holding pattern until the API give us access to the mic. I'd def pay for an app such as Kazam.

Or Shazam. I would pay for that
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    Let me first apologize for some members (and they will flame me for it). It does seem that precentral forums have gotten a little hostile and people have gotten frustrated.

I think the problem lies in all the complaining post about the Pre (Oh where is 1.4, flash, etc.). As I have said before and will say again, Constructive criticism should be welcomed and directed toward the right place. If you cannot find answers on the Palm forums then this is a great place to try. If your just coming to bash the phone, please leave, it has all been said before. If your coming with a legitimate complaint or you need real help, then stay.

Your question was legitimate and it seems some folks have forgotten what PreCentral is all about. Helping our fellow Pre users (at least that is why I joined).
    Dude, no one here knows what date the feature is coming. Folks on this forum aren't privy to that information until the very last moment. And if they are privy to it I bet they are under some type of NDA.

I don't think that anyone was trying to be rude but when asking a question on a forum that isn't run by the company, you must have realistic expectations about what kinds of answers you're going to receive.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast