Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Hard to do that while driving now isn't it? There are valid safety issues regarding trying to dial while driving. If you don't want or need to use a certain feature then don't. There are others who would find that feature more than useful, especially with the advent of new laws regarding cell usage while driving in the works.
    Actually, using Unversal Search for this on the Pre is not very hard, and really quite safe.

Most usernames can be found in Unversal search within 3 or 4 key strokes. A lot of folks don't know, but you can type the first initial of the first name, and begin typing the last name, and it will work.

I have lots of "parsons" in my phone book. Typing "gpa" will get my wife's name (Gini Parsons) to the exclusion of any other information. Then I click the phone number entry, and I'm set.
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoward31 View Post
    I talked to the Sprint Rep a few month ago, before purchasing the phone. I talked to Palm a couple of month ago. Most info I can find is weeks old.

So I wondered if anyone here had heard anything NEW.

My bad to come to a Palm Pre forum for Palm Pre info. Please disregard.
    Ignore the Pre-Tenders. They are the ones who tend this forum 18 hours a day checking to make sure that no one expresses any disappointment with the Pre or is unhappy with it or thinks maybe another phone is better. Some people are normal, and come here for info about the Pre or to discuss it.

I have a launch day Pre. Still on my first one. No problems with it whatsoever. I, like you, am very disappointed with the lack of a number of features that I had grown used to on other phones. Visual voice mail is one. Voice dialing is another. Live Search is another. I had voice dialing for about 6 years before the Pre, and I had all those features on my Instinct. They were all very very useful at various times. The Pre is far superior overall to a smartphone wannabe like the Instinct, but I don't understand why they were unable to provide features that everyone else has had for a long time. They have to compete with Android and iPhone now, not Instinct and Envy. They ought to consider things like voice dial a basic requirement, and build from there. Sadly, they didn't include the basics when they designed the phone, and, closing on 9 months later, they still don't have them. If they were rushing to market, fine, it should have been there last August then. But now, come on. They are losing traction fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Dude, no one here knows what date the feature is coming. Folks on this forum aren't privy to that information until the very last moment. And if they are privy to it I bet they are under some type of NDA.

I don't think that anyone was trying to be rude but when asking a question on a forum that isn't run by the company, you must have realistic expectations about what kinds of answers you're going to receive.
    Dude! - You should re-read the earlier posts one more time. Ya, they were being rude. ...or at the very least, not at all helpful.
    Voice dialing really doesn't seem like an easy thing to implement. I think the best approach palm could take would be to go beyond voice dialing and integrate voice into universal search. I'm not surprised a feature like this is taking a while to come about. I doubt Palm is going to develop their own voice recognition software, so they have to find a partner who can get it to them at a good price, and can help them integrate it into WebOS within a timeframe that fits well within WebOS release schedule. How ****ed would people be if 1.4 got pushed back two months because voice dialing wasn't ready.

Patience really is a virtue, especially when we're dealing with a small company like Palm. but if you ask me, they are working faster and more efficiently than any of their competitors when it comes to improving the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I remember my previous phone had voice dialing. I might have used it about 3 times the most. Just setup a speed dial.
    I see. Because you don't use voice dial, we should all forget about it. I don't use Facebook, so the rest of you should shut up about wanting a good Facebook app. Oh wait...the phone is not just for me. The world doesn't revolve around me. OK, never mind.

Let me tell you what the Instinct could do. It had a Live Search app. You start the app, hold in a button, say "pizza" or "gas" or "coffee" or whatever, and a bunch of businesses that are near where you are pop up. It reads your GPS location. You scroll through them, and select one. Up pops a window that gives you the address and phone number of the place. There is a tab to press that gives you written directions there. Another tab starts the Sprint Nav app, and gives you turn by turn directions.

I travel out of town sometimes, and that was a great feature. On Pre, I have to to the applications page, start the google or Sprint Nav app, then type in the name of what I am looking for, and then maybe I can find it. Not so easy when you are driving around. And illegal in California.
    So if you are holding your Instinct in your hand, taking your eyes off of the road to look at it to scroll and then to press a tab, isn't that the same issue? In that one instant you are looking down a car could pull out or a pedestrian could run out in front of your car, that is definitely not "hands free".
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    So if you are holding your Instinct in your hand, taking your eyes off of the road to look at it to scroll and then to press a tab, isn't that the same issue? In that one instant you are looking down a car could pull out or a pedestrian could run out in front of your car, that is definitely not "hands free".
    No. All you have to do is press the button on the bluetooth. then say the person name and BAM!!!

Why are you so against this feature?
    i had an instinct, if i remember correctly, you didn't have to look at the phone until all of the searching was done. then it was just a millisecond to make ur selection. Sure you still have to take you eyes off the road, but compared to what you have to do to find something using Nav or Google Maps on the pre.... there really is no comparison.
    Thanks for asking.

To get to the Live Search app is about the same as pressing a button on the radio. It is on the front screen on the Instinct. You press it with your finger and up it pops. You hold your phone in your hand, like you would a hot dog, which is still legal in all 57 states, and you, without looking, press and hold a button on the side of the phone. While pressing the button, you say, "Dry Cleaner". You put the phone down. After a few seconds, all the dry cleaners in a 10 mile radius show up, in order of the closest. You can look down at it, like you do when you check your watch, tap the closest one, and up pops its info. Check your watch again, tap the symbol that looks like a car, and voila! sprint navigation opens and takes you there.

No typing involved.

On the Pre, you first tap the button to display the apps. Then you scroll down to find Sprint Nav, while driving. Then you tap the button that says "search for business". Then, when that opens, you slide the keyboard down. Then, you type in, while avoiding the 89 year old grandma that just walked out in front of you, "dry cleaner". Good luck with that while driving. If you do that, you are a menace, by the way. Then, you press the enter button, and walla, there is a list. Then, if you want to pick the closest on, you tap the top one on the list. Then, you tap the button that starts the turn by turn directions. Now, you can put the phone down.

The difference? With the Pre, I have to pull over if I want to find something. With the Instinct, and with a lot of phones out there, I don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    No. All you have to do is press the button on the bluetooth. then say the person name and BAM!!!

Why are you so against this feature?
    Thanks for mentioning. I didn't talk about how to do it with a bluetooth, but it is even easier.

The point for me is not that the Instinct is a great phone. It is an iPhone wannabe, with decent hardware, lousy screen and outdated OS. It has almost no apps that you can run on it. You can play music, watch TV, if you are really good with conversion software, you can learn how to watch videos. The synaptic feedback is nice.

The point is that the things it can do should be the baseline for a phone that wants to be great. It's not just the OS that makes the phone. It's the OS, the hardware, the apps and the built-in features that combine to make the overall package. Ultimately, it's what you can do with it, and how much easier it makes things for you. The visual package is there with the Pre. There are a lot of things that it does not make easier than phones that came before it. That's what it needs to work on.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I want to take the time to thank everybody that took the time to give me information, ideas and their thoughts. Constructive criticism is also welcomed.

I definitely feel much more informed and there are a few things I can use to make the phone work better for my lifestyle.

Someone made the point that different things are important to different people. Facebook to one, voice dialing to another. That is so true. And there should be respect for everyones wishes and choices.

For me, I want a phone that is a great PHONE, most importantly. Not a great camera, MP3 player, Video Camera etc...
    Those features are NICE , so don't get me wrong. But my first priority is a great phone, txt messaging, email, communication etc. And everything that makes those things easier and more innovative.

I love the Palm Pre. It seems so much more user friendly then my prior phones, when it comes to many different things.

I would be happy as a pig in mud if only they would add the voice dialing. It just made my life with my lifestyle, work, etc SO much easier.

I'm not giving up on the Palm Pre. The other features make it worth holding on to.

Hopefully one day they will add voice dialing.

One more time, THANK YOU all, for your great thoughts and ideas.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, using Unversal Search for this on the Pre is not very hard, and really quite safe.
    You can try and kid yourself and think its safe while driving.. It is nowhere near being safe..
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i had an instinct, if i remember correctly, you didn't have to look at the phone until all of the searching was done. then it was just a millisecond to make ur selection. Sure you still have to take you eyes off the road, but compared to what you have to do to find something using Nav or Google Maps on the pre.... there really is no comparison.
    I had an Instinct as well -- it has the same voice dialing software that my Blackberry has. Its as simple as pressing the button on the side of your bluetooth headset and saying "Call John Smith" -- and when the voice says back 'Did you say 'Call John Smith?', you say 'Yes' -- then it says 'Dialing John Smith"

You didnt even have to have the phone out to see it -- I kept mine in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    I had an Instinct as well -- it has the same voice dialing software that my Blackberry has. Its as simple as pressing the button on the side of your bluetooth headset and saying "Call John Smith" -- and when the voice says back 'Did you say 'Call John Smith?', you say 'Yes' -- then it says 'Dialing John Smith"

You didnt even have to have the phone out to see it -- I kept mine in my pocket.
    What I liked about the newer generation voice dialing phones was you didn't have to train the phone to your voice. When it first came out, about 2004 or so, if you wanted to use voice dial, you had to type in a number, then say the name. The phone would remember it based on your voice. That meant that I only used voice dial for a few people, like a speed dial.

The more recent voice dial phones (I went from Razr to Blackberry Pearl to Instinct and they all had this) did not require voice training. With the Instinct, and (I think) the Pearl, I could say the name of anyone on my contacts list, and the phone would call them. They did not have to be in a speed dial or programmed in ahead of time. When I transferred contacts from outlook, I instantly had hundreds of phone numbers in my phones that I could call simply by saying the name.

With the Pre, there are various speed dial programs (my favorite is now TouchConnect) and that lets you have 10 or so contacts that you can tap to call. But that is nothing compared to having a bluetooth, tapping the button, saying "call Art Vandalay" and connecting. I hope we get it soon, and I hope when the next generation of Pre comes out, it has all these basics and some things that are cool and new so it can start to win back the people who were all excited last year.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Live Search is one feature of the Instinct I miss more than anything.

I know the Instinct doesn't compare to the Pre but when you focus on some of the features.. you almost think the Pre is an older smartphone.

And before anyone thinks I'm attacking the Pre.. I've had it since launch day and the only complaints I have or have had, are related to features not implemented (yet?). I'll also add.. this Pre is still the best phone I've ever owned. Considering all the phones I've had and everything I've tried to force them to do.. by now.. I would have moved to another phone due to boredom. I can't put the Pre down. I am constantly tinkering with it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123