Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    No the current API doesn't give us access to the mic (which would also be needed for voice dialing).

Since the vid cam was included in 1.4 (which also requires a mic), voice dialing should be near.... You'll still have to wait until Palm includes it in an update (which would require Sprint's cooperation).

Several apps are in a holding pattern until the API give us access to the mic. I'd def pay for an app such as Kazam.
    I don't believe that this would require Sprint's cooperation. The voice dialing offered through Sprint is network voice dialing. This would be native to the phone and not service provider related at all. Many phones have this and it would be a nice thing to have for those who have used it in the past and may use it in the future.

Anything that has the potential to make driving (working, jogging, etc.) safer is a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    I don't believe that this would require Sprint's cooperation. The voice dialing offered through Sprint is network voice dialing. This would be native to the phone and not service provider related at all. Many phones have this and it would be a nice thing to have for those who have used it in the past and may use it in the future.

Anything that has the potential to make driving (working, jogging, etc.) safer is a plus.
    I agree that it is useful and I look forward to the feature in the future.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts

Not to speak for Achill3s, but I believe he was referring to the cooperation required for Palm to get updates out to Sprint users. All of the updates require more than Palm just pushing their own button.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I am very realistic as to what information I can expect. I never expected for someone to say "guess what, its coming in 7.5 days".

However, I had hopes that someone had heard something "new". If they didn't, they didn't need to reply. What I didn't expect are assumption to how lazy I am, how I can't search for myself, etc etc.

I certainly got the "tone" of a few replies.

Its also not that I expect a new update on my questions every 3 days. The new update simply made me think of the issue again, and I thought I would ask...

I have said that I love everything else about the phone, so I'm not someone that just comes here and slams the Palm Pre.

For all that were helpful and understanding. Thank you.

The rest. Thanks as well
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Sadly I'm seeing a trend of Palm Pre lovers that like to justify missing features by stating you don't need them or you can live with out them. Is it lazy? How about illegal not to in places in Canada?

Cellphone driving ban enforced in Ontario, B.C.

Ontario's law has been in effect since October, but drivers using hand-held devices behind the wheel can now be subject to fines of $155. A driver who challenges the ticket may have the fine lowered to $50 or raised to $500 at the judge's discretion.

British Columbia's law has been on the books since Jan. 1, but now drivers can expect a $167 fine.

Read more: CBC News - Canada - Cellphone driving ban enforced in Ontario, B.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by needsmoar View Post
    Sadly I'm seeing a trend of Palm Pre lovers that like to justify missing features by stating you don't need them or you can live with out them. Is it lazy? How about illegal not to in places in Canada?

Cellphone driving ban enforced in Ontario, B.C.

Ontario's law has been in effect since October, but drivers using hand-held devices behind the wheel can now be subject to fines of $155. A driver who challenges the ticket may have the fine lowered to $50 or raised to $500 at the judge's discretion.

British Columbia's law has been on the books since Jan. 1, but now drivers can expect a $167 fine.

Read more: CBC News - Canada - Cellphone driving ban enforced in Ontario, B.C.
    NY is horrible too... The fines are insane for driving without hand free
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoward31 View Post
    I am very realistic as to what information I can expect. I never expected for someone to say "guess what, its coming in 7.5 days".

However, I had hopes that someone had heard something "new". If they didn't, they didn't need to reply. What I didn't expect are assumption to how lazy I am, how I can't search for myself, etc etc.

I certainly got the "tone" of a few replies.

Its also not that I expect a new update on my questions every 3 days. The new update simply made me think of the issue again, and I thought I would ask...

I have said that I love everything else about the phone, so I'm not someone that just comes here and slams the Palm Pre.

For all that were helpful and understanding. Thank you.

The rest. Thanks as well
    I hear what you're saying and I don't agree with some people on this forum who call others lazy for not searching. I find that rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by needsmoar View Post
    Dude, I hear you. But do you know what is even a sadder trend? People buying the Pre or anything with the understanding that certain features aren't there and yet they come here and post threads about the feature not being there. That is sad my friend.

Now you may respond and say, "But what about the people who bought the phone thinking that the feature was there?" To that I say if you didn't do your research on a purchase that is costing you $150 or more out of pocket then you only have yourself to blame. And you do have 30 days to return the phone if can't live without the feature.

Now you may respond with "Well some probably knew the feature was missing but they decided to give it a chance with the hope the feature would show up shortly after the purchase." To that I say it's a chance you take. Palm did not tell you they would add the missing feature. You bought it on faith. And faith are those things hoped for but not yet seen.
    Getting answers regarding this, is worse then giving birth.

Prior to buying the Palm Pre I was assured that voice dialing was just around the corner. Well, here we are after another big update and surprise, surprise. No voice dialing.
    No answers. No info. I hear crickets...

Talking to customer service about this was like either talking to a computer, or someone illiterate.
    I hope to see this soon as well (thought apparently, I'm not nearly as impatient as you); however, this is something of a conflict on what you're saying.

On the one hand, you seem to want answers now, but on the other, you seem to want it be entirely accurate.

Someone "assured" you that voice dialing was just around the corner. I don't know who that was. I've been following the Pre since it was announced, and I've never heard anyone from Palm or Sprint (or any other representative company) say it's coming at all, let alone just around the corner.

On the other hand, I haven't seen them say it isn't, and there are some technical reasons they couldn't do it before, but that it's closer now. So, I think it's coming, but wouldn't dare say when.

Would LOVE to hear from someone affiliated with Palm. Those people have been the least helpful I've come across in my years of dealing with various customer service issues. And thats saying something...
    Don't know if you're talking about some other issues you've had with them, but this is not a "customer service" issue. You are asking for a feature that they haven't promised, and wanting to know a delivery date. It's likely that they are staying mum to avoid a customer saying "But Palm told me ..."
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    English is my second language, so perhaps I'm not getting my point across sometimes, as I intended. And I don't use that as an excuse, but more as an explanation.

Yes, it was my own fault to believe the Sprint representative that said this feature was "right around the corner". Totally.

And yes, a Palm representative also said it was coming. My complaint was that talking to that person seemed like I was talking to a bot. He kept repeating the same words, sometimes his answers didn't even pertain to the actual question. When I pressed whether this was something that was even "considered" by Palm (not an actual date or time) he finally hinted that it was in the works, but they weren't allowed to even say anything about it. I wish I had kept a log of that chat, it was very strange.
    And no, I wasn't rude or demanding, but I was getting frustrated because of feeling as if that representative didn't even read what I was typing at all.

What I am sorry about is that I even let myself get that frustrated at all. Obviously, there are more important things in life.

Actually, yes it would require Sprint's cooperation and their blessing. Just as Palm gave us "call duration log," it was not intended for Sprint users as the 1.4 call notes have been updated today.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I hear you, lhoward31... It's illegal to use the phone to dial with here in Ontario, and in lieu of actually having voice dialling on the phone, I bought a BlueAnt v1 headset, which has it's own voice-controlled dialling in it. It works (and works well!), but it's not the answer you're looking for. I haven't heard anything new on this, unfortunately, but hopefully we will soon.
    IHoward31,

I too hate it when someone will "jump all over" a poster for asking a question. The problem is that some people don't research products enough before making their purchase. Video capture is a perfect example of this. Sure, code may have been written into the phone (whatever that means), but Palm never released the information in their official release notes.

Prior to purchasing my pre, I researched the pre extensively, I knew it wouldn't have a viedo camera, voice dial, limited apps, I was sure that the price would go down eventually from $199.99 with a 100 dollar rebate etc.. Everything else that is done is a plus for me (ha ha I said plus... a pre plus). The pre has been updated several times now and I love it more every day. If voice dial comes, it will be just another plus ( ) for me because it's something I knew didn't come with my phone.

One thing you can do is always check Palms release notes for their updates. I'm sure once voice dialing comes you'll probably see it here.
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww

If not, one of the "insiders" here would mention it. Then again, we all know how the video capture debacle went.

Good luck, hopefully Palm will get that out soon. If not, I'm ok with it.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I don't assume ANYTHING is coming if its not included with the phone at the time of purchase. I wouldn't base my purchase on the promise of anything. I was OK with version 1.01 of WebOS, but I was realistic and understood what it was.. Everything since then has been gravy. I also don't understand why people get angry about this stuff. Get angry about the government being 12+ trillion in debt not voice dialing. If certain features were critical to me I wouldn't purchase a phone without them. Most companies don't add things like Palm is doing.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    why are people so friggin lazy? Voice dialing really?? who cares? why dont we use these forums to complain about the lack of USEFUL features. With universal search theres really no need for voice dialing and its probably quicker
    It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness.. It has to do with legally being able to dial the phone while driving in many states.. Yes, Universal Search does work great -- when you're in a situation where you can safely use the keyboard (driving is not one of those times)

Until they come up with voice dialing, I have found that assigning speed dials is the safest alternative.
    lhoward31,
    I can feel or understand your pain completely. I was so hoping for Mic access in the 1.4 SDK. Im a complete phone junkie so I really get made at Sales. Low level tech support answers that don't make sense. With all the safety issues at hand, I thought that Palm would add this Pronto.

If you havent checked out Launch Point yet, CHECK IT OUT (I have nothing to do with this program), I just use it for every quick Dial and SMS I do, which is 95% of the time). I have the patch open to 1st page in launcher. I have my first page set up with all my fav contacts and will automatically dial with 1 tap after 1 sec or with 2 taps I go into SMS for that person, really fast and easy. This really is the best/fastest I have seen on ANY WinMo or android phone. I can do this fairly safely in my car without actually looking for more than 2 secs.

I still want voice dialing and all the other stuff that can come with that (Shazam and voice commands comes to mind). I think when the PDK gets released it will allow this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    why are people so friggin lazy? Voice dialing really?? who cares? why dont we use these forums to complain about the lack of USEFUL features. With universal search theres really no need for voice dialing and its probably quicker
    Hard to do that while driving now isn't it? There are valid safety issues regarding trying to dial while driving. If you don't want or need to use a certain feature then don't. There are others who would find that feature more than useful, especially with the advent of new laws regarding cell usage while driving in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Actually, yes it would require Sprint's cooperation and their blessing. Just as Palm gave us "call duration log," it was not intended for Sprint users as the 1.4 call notes have been updated today.
    No, it doesn't require Sprint's co-operation, if it is an OS update, that adds a safety feature, there is no way sprint could refuse it. Besides, it is included in some other Sprint devices already, like the Blackberry 8330, without any additional charges or dialing any sprint service.
    I have my Pre mounted on my Touchstone right next to my steering wheel and have the PhotoDialer card open, so my phone is never in my hands, just click glance to tap a number and I answer calls with my headset. My son just purchased a new Mazdaspeed 3 and the BT feature mated up perfectly with his Pre and actually has voice dialing, pretty cool.
    English is my second language, so perhaps I'm not getting my point across sometimes, as I intended. And I don't use that as an excuse, but more as an explanation.
    Much clearer explanation. First off, your English is very good. You have nothing to apologize for on that point. My times it's hard to express these types of frustrations in one's native language.

In fairness to the Palm rep, the "it's in the works" really is probably more than he/she should have told you. These types of things are generally kept mum about because of historically bad experiences by the companies involved. I've worked in the IT field for years, and can tell you. As soon as you say "We're looking at the possibility of implementing XYZ", some folks are saying "When exactly can we expect it", while others (usually several iterations of rumor later) are saying "I was told that's been approved, the server built and installed, and that it's supposed to be ready next week. However, I'm important and I need to be an early adopter/tester, so I need it now. BTW, it better work without a glitch, I'm a busy person...."

Other than the "in the works", this is probably about the best answer you're going to get:

• The phone is capable of doing both voice dialing, and voice recording.
    • It's in Palm's best interest to have the phone do as many critical functions as possible.
    • There are some great programmers for the device, both inside Palm, and outside.
    • New SDK capabilities have been promised, they (and likely more) are on the way.

From there, draw your own conclusions.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast