Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all -

So I've had a chance to look at the Pre Plus at Verizon and really love the design and WebOS. Like most of you, I wasn't totally surprised to hear the news regarding earnings....really sad, considering I've always liked Palm devices.

I have the Moto Droid right now....and well, I just can't get in to the OS...it's missing that elegant flow that WebOS has....and there something special about that Palm name that sorta gives you the warm fuzzies.....SO....

My question.....I have an opportunity to get the Pre, but I'm a little nervous as to the livelihood of Palm. It would really stink to be stuck in a 2 year contract with a device that will no longer be developed. (OS)

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Palm aren't going anywhere soon, and there's a very active community of developers hacking at the OS all the time. I'd be more worried about the build quality and other issues.
    web os will never die, if palm were to go under someone would buy it up quick. But palm won't die !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If you read a lot of the posts on here, they are negative and will make you nervous about getting the phone. However, it is a great phone, despite a few bugs that most people can live with. WebOS is a great product and will be around for a while, even if it's not Palm (but I think they will pull it out).
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I replaced my Motorola Milestone (the GSM droid) with a GSM Pre (not even a pre plus) and I feel at home. It is so much nicer in actual use, I wonder why consumers are the ignorant waste of oxygen they are.

hm. yep
    If the phone does what you need it to - does it matter if the software isn't developed any further ?
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    You will find out more as well this week with the PDK announcements for the PDK about how easy it will be for developers to migrate iphone applications over.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    You will find out more as well this week with the PDK announcements for the PDK about how easy it will be for developers to migrate iphone applications over.
    Is PDK released yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    web os will never die, if palm were to go under someone would buy it up quick. But palm won't die !
    With the way Apple is going after Android and HTC, the OP prolly should be more worried about that patent lawsuit than Palm going away.

Someone would purchase Palm before it would just outright die. You have to remember that Palm holds a ton of IP for smartphones (the reason why Apple doesn't want to go to court with Palm over smartphone IP instead choosing HTC & Android) and they have put together a very good design and development team; all of which would be valuable to someone like Nokia or whomever. So I don't think Palm or WebOs will just die off.

Having said that OP, go get the phone if you like it and use it. Don't worry about the external factors that you have no control over.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Is PDK released yet?
    Only to a select few developer such as EA, Gameloft, Glu Mobile and maybe some others. The beta version is supposed to released to everyone in March.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think you'll be fine to be honest. Palm has a good product, but its purely poor advertising being the reason their phones haven't sold so well. I mean, creepy lady back in June? I hope they slapped around their marketing department because that was STUPID. Palm and Verizon and putting some real marketing know-how though, so I expect to see WebOS be around for quite awhile.
    Palm will be here for the long run. There are too many of us loyal palm supporters and die hards to let them go under. At least that is my feeling on the subject.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    I am sure it will not die

look at the original palm os. Apps are still up

this community is reason enough. At least you know that support will always be there.
    With the recent Apple lawsuit, I doubt Android has more of a future than webOS! With that said, it's definitely worth mentioning that Palm has a lot to fix. Advertising, mindshare, & hardware quality are the big things IMO. I'm more optimistic than some, so I say come on over.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    With the recent Apple lawsuit, I doubt Android has more of a future than webOS! With that said, it's definitely worth mentioning that Palm has a lot to fix. Advertising, mindshare, & hardware quality are the big things IMO. I'm more optimistic than some, so I say come on over.
    Google is too big for Apple to take on or down.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    C'mon over! The Pre and WEBOS is awesome. Any negative comments you see about the Pre on this forum...well, take them with a grain of salt. The small percentage of pre owners on here (including myself) like to improve by asking the community for help. From time to time there's a "negative Nancy" here but they're everywhere. You'll love the Pre!
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    keep in mind that even if you buy the pre plus, you can always just buy another verizon phone. We're really not talking about that much money in the big picture...
    Aside from the fact that if Palm fails it'll take 3-5 years to happen, who keeps a smart phone for 2 years these days? Even iPhone users don't - they're forever upgrading to the next iPhone version.

My guess is that if Palm were on the brink of going under, they'd start licensing webOS.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    also, even if palm goes belly up next month, how long are you planning on keeping this phone anyways? 2 years? its not that long of a commitment. Not to mention if you are alerady switching from droid to pre, you must be one of those people who likes to keep up with technology. palm is great today, but dont be a ******. if something a lot better comes out in a year, just switch. so in the grand scheme of things, it really doesnt matter if palm is around or not for your current device choice.
    Plus with Sprint there's a 30 day window incase the phone doesn't work for you. Does Verizon have the same option? I'd imagine they must...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast