Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Palm may not survive as a self-owned company, but it is likely that if their stock prices drop enough, they will be bought out by HP, Dell, or, my personal hope, HTC. WebOS is a fantastic system and Palm has done amazing things to keep it functioning considering their size.

With a bit more cash, smart advertising and solid hardware, WebOS is going to take a much bigger hold of the market.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Palm has always been a small company (an underdog, if you will) that has constantly been having the 'they won't be around long' tag thrown at them. The huge difference between Apple going after HTC and them hunting Palm is the fact that Palm owns a slew of patents for items that the iPhone has incorporated (to put it nicely).
    IMHO...Don't worry about Palm's future - they will be around for a long time. And...in the unlikely event that something happens to them, WebOS is something another company would snap up in a second.

If anyone's interested (I think most forgot about this), Engadget put together a story last year talking about Apple vs. Palm patents. It's a pretty good read (with vids).
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Aside from the fact that if Palm fails it'll take 3-5 years to happen, who keeps a smart phone for 2 years these days? Even iPhone users don't - they're forever upgrading to the next iPhone version.

My guess is that if Palm were on the brink of going under, they'd start licensing webOS.
    My mom does. She is still using my 755p that I got at release and she got it in 2008 and still using it. Before that she used a treo 600 for quite a few years. She is still obsessed palmOS, and who can blame her? Granted I moved on from palmOS because I required multitasking but still a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Palm has always been a small company (an underdog, if you will) that has constantly been having the 'they won't be around long' tag thrown at them. The huge difference between Apple going after HTC and them hunting Palm is the fact that Palm owns a slew of patents for items that the iPhone has incorporated (to put it nicely).
    IMHO...Don't worry about Palm's future - they will be around for a long time. And...in the unlikely event that something happens to them, WebOS is something another company would snap up in a second.

If anyone's interested (I think most forgot about this), Engadget put together a story last year talking about Apple vs. Palm patents. It's a pretty good read (with vids).
    Couldn't agree more! Palm has always been smaller then that of its rivals and has always had that "will they survive?" saying over their head and wouldn't you know they are still here. Palm made the handheld market what it is today, without the palm pilots of yesteryear we wouldn't be looking at the smartphones we have today.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Palm will make it through your contract. At worse, WebOS will be bought by someone bigger. I myself would hate to buy a HTC product just to use WebOS so lets hope if that happens its someone good. =)

The doom and gloom surrounding palm is an old topic. This is an investors worry and doesnt effect us so much as consumers.
    Apple won't go near Palm in court... apple may have 2 aces under their sleeve... palm has 3 aces. They have been around a LONG time and were pretty much the FIRST large scale touchscreen phone... that article linked above pretty much says it all.
    I pretty much agree with everyone above; I'm not worried about Palm going away! Of course when you get your Pre it won't hurt for you to show others how cool it is!
    Long Live Palm
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I could use my Pre for the next 2 years just the way it is. With video recording in 1.4 there isnt anything else I NEED.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12