Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm trying to flash a new AT&T Pre Plus to bypass activation in order to use it for development. I'm running Windows XP.
    I'm following (I believe!) Grnslam's instructions: "Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide (bypass carrier activation, etc.".
    I follow the link and download VirtualBox (V3.2.10 r66523). I also follow the link and download Ubuntu 9.10.

I'm on step 4. where you install Ubuntu on a virtual disk in VirtualBox. I then click the "New" button and insert "Ubuntu 9.10" and then click "Next" five more times and pressing the Finish button (twice!)

Now the problem. I click on the newly created virtual disk, Ubuntu, and click "Next". The "First Run Wizard" comes up and I click on "Next" but I do not get the option of selecting the Ubuntu image file. The only option I have is to select a "Host Drive 'D'".

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/select...ationmedia.jpg

I've done this several times with the same results. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Charlie
  2.    #43  
    CESantos...

Did you click "Image File"??

That's what I apparently had to do whenever I created this.

Regardless of if you did or didn't, you should locate the ubuntu-desktop.iso "image file" that you downloaded earlier. The virtual disk will then boot up with the ISO image file... and install the image to your virtual disk, which is just a "virtual" hard drive on your real hard drive.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I thought I made it clear that I didn't see any choice to access an image file. The only choice is an "Host Drive D" Where did you have the opportunity to select the image file?
  4.    #45  
    It could be that VirtualBox has changed. Their software doesn't stay the same forever.

Have you just tried navigating to the ubuntu.iso that you downloaded... and just continuing with that. Does it give an error?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I thought I made it clear that I didn't see any choice to access an image file. The only choice is an "Host Drive D" Where did you have the opportunity to select the image file?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESantos View Post
    You need to click on the little icon next to the selection dropdown and then add the ISO into VirtualBox by clicking on the "+" icon in the dialog that will open.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Ah! The missing link. Thanks!!
    I am trying to convert a pre + to work on sprint. I am able to run ubuntu on virtualbox on my windows7 system. When I follow your instructions here is what i get;

corey@corey-VirtualBox:~$ sudo -s
    [sudo] password for corey:
    root@corey-VirtualBox:~#
    root@corey-VirtualBox:~# aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "linux-source-2.6.31"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "sun-java6-bin"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "linux-source-2.6.31"
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 164 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

root@corey-VirtualBox:~# aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 164 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Please help
  10.    #51  
    Instructions are for Ubuntu 9.10 (thought I made that explicit, but I guess that was elsewhere?). Other versions of Ubuntu will require some tweaking... such as in your example, finding the correct kernel version.

In actuality, you don't even need the kernel source, so you can just remove that pas (ckage from the aptitude install command!! A lot of those packages aren't actually needed.

EDIT: You don't need the java package either!! After the Meta'd Doctor is created, you must transfer it to your hostOS thru whatever means (shared folder, dropbox, ftp server, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Here's the steps I used to use the Meta with a Sprint ROM.

Intro:

The Meta-Doctor accomplishes several tasks:

(1) Bypasses carrier activation (Do NOT use if you ever intend to use the cellular radio).
    What is meant by this? If I use metadoc I can't use the cell phone to place calls? If so, what good is metadoc? The phone would be limited to developer use only.

What I really want to do is just eliminate the first-run app. Not really anything else. Can metadoc do just that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ray08 View Post
    What is meant by this? If I use metadoc I can't use the cell phone to place calls? If so, what good is metadoc? The phone would be limited to developer use only.

What I really want to do is just eliminate the first-run app. Not really anything else. Can metadoc do just that?
    Have you read the official Meta-Doctor documentation at the top of the Makefile, instead of some third-party obsolete partial guide?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13.    #54  
    Updated to solve any confusion from different versions of software updates over the past couple years.

Enjoy!
    (11) Re-partitions filesystem to increase /var limit [normal-default of 256 MB to meta-default of 2 GB or whatever you so choose]. This is not so important anymore, since the App Catalog limit has been fixed. However, if you have loads of email & attachments or any Linux applications that make use of this directory... it is possible to fill it up.
    Please remove this item. This option is deprecated and may be removed in the future. Use the ext3fs partition size option instead for both Optware and Ubuntu/Debian Chroot usage. Note that emails and attachments are not stored in the /var partition in webOS 2.x and later.

13. Kiss Rod Whitby on the cheek.
    Please replace this with:

Donate to WebOS Internals at http://donate.webos-internals.org and leave a nice review on http://bit.ly/phd-ac

Thanks,

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123