Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Just wondering if I'm the only one here who ISN'T using preware? It does look cool, and it would help overcome some disadvantages I face as an unofficial gsm user (i can't get many free apps, and i might not even be able to buy apps once they're available).

I had some bad hacking/homebrew experience on previous platforms (winmo, symbian), where messing about with it resulted in:

slowness
    battery drain
    bricking
    nervousness
    vomiting

Now, I know that preware is pretty much (if not totally) the most solid and foolproof homebrew for smartphones around, i believe even more than iphone jailbreaking. I am in no way doubting the work of the great people behind it.

However, whenever a webos update comes out, i see people saying 'oh i deleted all my patches before applying the update, but half of them won't install now, and i've got broken icons' etc etc. This sorta stuff really turns me off it.

Basically, if i go Preware, will it affect my device's performance or battery at all?

And if i try it then decide i don't want it anymore, will doctoring webosquickinstall to 'european gsm' give me EXACTLY the phone i had before? (its a spanish movistar pre).

I hope I haven't duplicated any other threads, just thought I'd make one for like-minded people to come to and be educated by the Holders of Knowledge
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    here is one mans opinion. I have 40 patches, I updated to 1.4 with them with out 1 issue. I have being using preware for a long time now with no issues. In fact I have never ,in the six months I have had this phone,had one single negitive issue. Themes are great,love them. I have had nothing but good things happen w preware. I am not a tech. Wizard but have learned so much via prewear and this site,that I feel like I can almost do anything with out screwing it up. My daughter has a pixie and I must have helped her with something almost everyday,and pimped her pixie out with preware. If you get in a bind, there is many great,friendly people here that will help you fix it. Go for it. Lol I was scared at first also.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks mate, that's the kind of feedback im after.

im actually starting to think of just installing apps (ipk files) through webosdoctor... That would mean no preware update probs, wouldn't need to remove anything before webos updates, right?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    not so much interested in patches as apps, btw
    Preware has improved dramatically and the developers have to be given credit for constantly staying on top of issues and fixing them, even sometimes before they become a big problem.

Just make sure you read the threads for patches and stay up to date with them if you run into issues. You will love how much better of an experience your Pre is with patches than without and you will learn alot about your Pre in the process.

I'm not a developer and if I can appreciate the tools that Preware makes available anybody can.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have been using preware for a while and have had great results. With 1.4 I took the plunge and didn't remove any patches and it worked perfectly.

I find preware a bit easier to use than webos quickinstall (since you don't have to plug it in). I probably have about 10 patches installed. They are very useful improvements.

I haven't had to use web os doctor yet although I used emergency patch recovery when I couldn't remove a patch back a few months ago (worked perfectly, no phone wipe needed). I haven't tried the riskier patches (no processor speed changes) or themes. Except for that one exception above I have always been able to uninstall a patch through preware with no ill effects.

I am very grateful to the community for all of the useful enhancements they have worked on.

You can install preware without installing any patches (just to install community applications). Give it a try, it is low risk and well worth it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thing is, im reasonably patient and many patches have ended up becoming features. I think ill just go wirh apps.

i DEFINITELY give credit to the preware and homebrew devs. Their work is amazing and as fae as im xoncerned palm owes them big time.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have been using preware for a while and have had great results. With 1.4 I took the plunge and didn't remove any patches and it worked perfectly.

I find preware a bit easier to use than webos quickinstall (since you don't have to plug it in). I probably have about 10 patches installed. They are very useful improvements.

I haven't had to use web os doctor yet although I used emergency patch recovery when I couldn't remove a patch back a few months ago (worked perfectly, no phone wipe needed). I haven't tried the riskier patches (no processor speed changes) or themes. Except for that one exception above I have always been able to uninstall a patch through preware with no ill effects.

I am very grateful to the community for all of the useful enhancements they have worked on.

You can install preware without installing any patches (just to install community applications). Give it a try, it is low risk and well worth it.
    run patches in preware,thry work well w updates now,u have no worries
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks people, everyone really came through on this thread and gave me a good feel for the opinions out there. cheers!

p.s. i've installed quickinstall on my pc, and i'm just about to try getting the 'bweather' app using this process http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...r-country.html

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    although, one part of my question i'm still curious about - is anyone else not using preware? or am i seriously theonly one? that'd be kinda funny :P

Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    although, one part of my question i'm still curious about - is anyone else not using preware? or am i seriously theonly one? that'd be kinda funny :P
    I doubt you're the only one, but as hungry as I always am for the latest & greatest, I held back for a while, w/ the same reluctance. I depend so much on my phone for retaining data I need instant access to...then I decided to jump in head first & couldn't believe I ever lived 'out-of-the-box' w/ my 1st Pre. I can't imagine how different I would feel about my Pre if it weren't for Preware customizations. Just do it!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    im not using preware, I had a lot of issues with apps that used to be in preware moving over to the app catalogue then not installing properly if I had removed them. I also experienced a hell of a lot of battery drain with a couple of patches and even after removal the problem didnt go away until I doctored.

Like I say I used to, but the negative experiences have kept me away for some time now
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks diggedy, really good to hear opinions from both sides of the fence.

I think i'm gonna stick away from preware for now. but, i just installed bweather using the ipk thing (nothing on the pre, just all webosquickinstall on my win7 pc) and it was SUPER AWESOME.

To the people responsible for putting together a system where i can plug my pre in by usb and install an app from a catalog i normally don't have access to : THANK YOU!!!

In the 48 hours after webOS 1.4 was released, we counted 160,000 unique IP addresses using Preware to access homebrew package feeds and 16000 using WebOS Quick Install. Of the 160,000, 1 in 8 downloaded at least one patch.

What percentage of all webOS users that 160,000 represents, we do not know.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    im not using preware, I had a lot of issues with apps that used to be in preware moving over to the app catalogue then not installing properly if I had removed them. I also experienced a hell of a lot of battery drain with a couple of patches and even after removal the problem didnt go away until I doctored.

Like I say I used to, but the negative experiences have kept me away for some time now
    So you're projecting your experience of homebrew authors who did not heed Palm's advice to use a different appid for homebrew and app catalog apps (none of which were written by the same authors as Preware), and your experience of a couple of bad patches (again, none of which were written by the Preware authors), and using that to comment on whether someone should use the Preware app?

That's like saying that you shouldn't use your DVD player cause you once used it to watch an awful movie ...

It's a personal choice as to whether someone uses Preware or not (and I won't try and convince you one way or the other), but please make it a rational choice based on facts about Preware, rather than an irrational choice based on some bad piece of homebrew that Preware happened to install for you.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I think i'm gonna stick away from preware for now. but, i just installed bweather using the ipk thing (nothing on the pre, just all webosquickinstall on my win7 pc) and it was SUPER AWESOME.
    Do you realise that WebOS Quick Install and Preware use exactly the same installation mechanism and homebrew packaging standards (devised by the WebOS Internals team) to install packages like bweather? And that installing that package with WebOS Quick Install causes an identical modification to your device as if you had used Preware to install it or any other app catalog or homebrew package?

To the people responsible for putting together a system where i can plug my pre in by usb and install an app from a catalog i normally don't have access to : THANK YOU!!!
    I presume you used a feed from ipkg.preware.org for that? You're welcome

-- Rod
    I am also not using Preware. I use WebOS Quickinstall whenever I need it (seldom). I never installed Patches or themes and never had problems with my pre...

I once made the mistake to install Preware and the package manager service and I found out that memory usage wasn't good. I got the "too many cards" error too often. I uninstalled preware and never had such issues... The problem wasn't Preware but the package manager service which of course needs resources to run...
    Also, beware of an app named Quick System Tasks...I had a stability issue with it. Me Pre would turn off by itself after detouching it from my touchstone!

I would say, don't install Preware and use WebOS Quick Install. Much safer
    Now, I know that preware is pretty much (if not totally) the most solid and foolproof homebrew for smartphones around, i believe even more than iphone jailbreaking. I am in no way doubting the work of the great people behind it.

However, whenever a webos update comes out, i see people saying 'oh i deleted all my patches before applying the update, but half of them won't install now, and i've got broken icons' etc etc. This sorta stuff really turns me off it.

Basically, if i go Preware, will it affect my device's performance or battery at all?
    I think you should rephrase your question in terms of the different types of packages that Preware (and WebOS Quick Install) can install:

a) applications
    b) services
    c) plugins
    d) patches
    e) themes

I personally don't install themes (because I know how much damage they can cause). I selectively install patches. I trust services and plugins from developers that are well-known in the community (such as WebOS Internals, and Canuck Software), and distrust by default any from people who I have never heard of (there are none such at the moment). I trust homebrew applications as much as I trust applications in the app catalog (because Palm's Javascript sandbox protects me).

And if i try it then decide i don't want it anymore, will doctoring webosquickinstall to 'european gsm' give me EXACTLY the phone i had before? (its a spanish movistar pre).
    A full erase plus a webOS doctor gives you a factory fresh phone. I'm assuming your phone was unlocked legally, and the unlocking is not reverted by using a webOS doctor.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I once made the mistake to install Preware and the package manager service and I found out that memory usage wasn't good. I got the "too many cards" error too often. I uninstalled preware and never had such issues... The problem wasn't Preware but the package manager service which of course needs resources to run...
    This is a fair comment. There was a period of 8 hours after webOS 1.4 was released, where the ipkg.preware.org server was overloaded with 1200+ connections per second, and this caused erroneously large package feed index cache files to be downloaded to the device for the Package Manager Service to read. When it reads these erroneously large files, it runs out of memory. The server has been upgraded to handle such a load, and the Package Manager Service has been updated to delete any such erroneously large files on every reboot of the device. So we expect this problem will not be repeated.

In general, when Preware is not actively running as a card in view, the Package Manager Service does not use any memory resources - it runs nothing in the background. When Preware is running, the package data is held in memory for quick access. When you close Preware, the memory usage is released and returned back to the operating system.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast