Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I installed Preware they day after I got my Movistar Pre (around Nov 09) and never had a problem that wasn't fixed 24h after simply upgrading to a newer Preware/P.M. Service. And in the Worst Case Scenario, you always have the option of a Full erase + Web Doctor

Actually, Preware, and what it represents, been able to modify the behaviour of your phone without opposition from Palm, is one of the main reasons that I chosen WebOS

Cheers
    JD Evora

PS:I'm with dl1ely, Preware (and its ecosystem) is more than 50% of my Pre experience
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I actually do not use it. Or more precisely, I am not using it at the moment. A few weeks ago I had an issue and needed to take my phone in because the radio had stopped working entirely. I had no data at all and could not make calls or anything. The tech at the sprint store by me managed to get it working again and told me that having preware on the phone is what caused the problem and that they wouldnt fix it next time if preware was still on the phone.

Now, I do not believe him when he says preware caused the problem. I do however believe him when he says that they wont fix it again.

So I am left with this choice, put preware back on the phone and not be able to get it repaired, or keep it off and be able to get it fixed if something goes wrong with it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I use preware all the time.....

the only trouble I had was when I made my own theme(coca cola) that's where I messed up....i tried everything but my cell service name was coca cola not sprint....then my patches got stuck....then webOS 1.3 came out and my pre auto updated then the update messed and my phone was "bricked" I used webOS docter and every thing was back to normal.....i had a lil trouble with palm and my backed up contacts....but with a call to palm I was back to normal in no time....

don't worry about using preware....just be sure you know what ur doing before you make a theme

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    I actually do not use it. Or more precisely, I am not using it at the moment. A few weeks ago I had an issue and needed to take my phone in because the radio had stopped working entirely. I had no data at all and could not make calls or anything. The tech at the sprint store by me managed to get it working again and told me that having preware on the phone is what caused the problem and that they wouldnt fix it next time if preware was still on the phone.

Now, I do not believe him when he says preware caused the problem. I do however believe him when he says that they wont fix it again.

So I am left with this choice, put preware back on the phone and not be able to get it repaired, or keep it off and be able to get it fixed if something goes wrong with it.

what ever.....what about the TONS of other people like me who have preware on their pres...they don't have trouble....if preware messed up my phone I would not use it palm woeld block us reom using it....just tell ur sprint people that you will drop them(not pay the bill) and use verzion or somthing like that

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    I use Preware for apps, but decided to go patch-less recently, after I needed to Dr my phone. I decided that I spent way too much time tinkering, adding patches, obsessing about which patch conflicted with which other one, etc.

It may be placebo effect, but my phone seems to be more responsive since I made that decision. YMMV.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I used Preware and WOSQI in their early days, but have not used them since webOS 1.2. This is just my personal preference. My phone works well and I have not had any of the issues that multiple people have complained about on these boards.

I'm not blaming Preware or WOSQI for those people's issues, but I have noticed that the majority of people that seem to have issues have been applying and re-applying patches, themes, and homebrew apps. Ultimately, they end up using the Doctor on their phone and the problem seems to go away. While that's merely anecdotal, it's enough to give me pause.

I have nothing but love for the developers of Preware and WOSQI. I just prefer to go virgin with my phone for the time being. That approach has not failed me thus far.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Do not install it for the sake of it, wait until you have a genuine need. That's what I did.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by garavin View Post
    I run 60+ patches and a dozen or so Homebrew apps. Mostly I use Preware because the OTA install is a little more convenient for me, but I'm also a WOSQI user. IMO, both products work very well for their intended purpose, which is install stuff on your Pre. I'm in IT (data analyst) but I'm not a programmer nor particularly technical. I did engage in some early patching by rooting the phone but I'm much happier to use tools like Preware and WebOS QI. I've had to visit the Doctor once, back when 1.3.5 came out. Not the greatest experience, but it wasn't a disaster either. A couple hours' inconvenience, during which I was able to do other stuff (house cleaning, IIRC) while the doctor was running.

I love all of the customization that's possible due to the patches, services and apps available through the Homebrew community and the genius of the WebOSInternals folks & Jason R/Canuck Software who've provided easy to use installers. Also lots of kudos to Prethemer, who makes it easy to build your own themes. My Pre experience wouldn't be half as enjoyable without the many tweaks and homebrew apps I've installed.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. Some folks just don't want to mess with their phones. That's fine. I have enough confidence in my ability to understand the technical issues that I can troubleshoot most problems I encounter. I've had some patches that don't want to install properly, but that's usually due to trying to apply patches that modify the same parts of WebOS. Sometimes it's as easy as selectively applying patches until you get them in the right order. Some patches just won't play well together. It'd be great to have that information available in the patch descriptions, but that kind of exhaustive testing is tough to do for folks who, however dedicated and talented, probably don't have the resources (time, labor, etc) to check their patch(es) against every other one. In the end I'm happy to be a bit of a beta tester (delta tester, maybe, since the released patches, services and apps aren't in beta). My personal experience is that most problems are resolved by simply removing the offending patch/app/service, or (in the extreme case) using the WebOS Doctor. If that's not for you then feel free to stick with the stock Pre/Pixi, & get your apps from the Palm App Catalog. If you feel like making your Pre YOURS by customizing it to your liking, jump in with the installer of your choice (Preware or WebOS QI) and have fun patching your Pre. If you can program your DVR, you probably have the level of technical capability needed to use these excellent tools. For me, the benefits far outweigh the consequences of the occasionally buggy patch, service or app. Your milage may vary, but by "far outweigh" I mean like 97% to 2%.
    Thanks for your insight

I have my pre for about 2 weeks now. After reading your (and many other) posts concerning preware, i will try my luck with this.

Thanks posters
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post

You have a third choice, which is the one that we recommend. Always do a full erase and webOS Doctor on your phone before showing it to a Sprint Tech. The simple facts are that Palm supports homebrew (they said so publicly at CES), Sprint is not against homebrew (Rick Boatright did an official talk on homebrew at their official developer conference), but some idiotic individual Sprint Techs (or their managers) are trying to get out of fixing your hardware problems by blaming a piece of unrelated software for the problem.

So just full erase and webOS Doctor, and demonstrate the hardware problem on a virgin factory-fresh phone. Then there is no issue. If a full erase and webOS Doctor actually fixes your issue, then you just saved yourself a trip to the Sprint store.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    i told the rep that i had used the homebrew touch-screen keyboard. i said "i probably wouldn't do that to one that i was going to keep, though."
    he became very adamant and very clear on the next point:
    "There's nothing wrong with using homebrew on your Pre. I do it, and other than there's no support for the patches and apps through homebrew, it's completely fine. Palm has no issue whatsoever with you using homebrew."

i was impressed. can you imagine if you mentioned jailbreaking on the phone to apple?

"click."
    Ha! This made me smile. That one 'click' at the end sums up apple in comparison to palm.

Palm is the new apple. Innovative, friendly and cheeky. remember when apple was like that?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Bukin and Insp Gadget, you guys seem to have the same attitude as me. We're obsessive, easily affected by placebos, and neurotic. Let's form a club!

Seriously tho, I'm considering doctoring my pre (mostly psychological reasons, to have it 'fresh') and maybe looking at apps after 1.4.1, if i still have a need. I will be staying off patches tho, for the kinds of reasons you guys said.

well i doctored it, seemed to go fine! hah, try doing a full re-flash of other phones that easily!

did a *full* erase, then a doctor. it didnt ask me about the euro thing, i was worried it was putting on sprint, but when i restarted it's got spanish stuff, and says world ready 1.2 webos 1.4. so i guess it's cleverer than i thought
    Last edited by bennish; 03/09/2010 at 06:23 AM.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You have a third choice, which is the one that we recommend. Always do a full erase and webOS Doctor on your phone before showing it to a Sprint Tech. The simple facts are that Palm supports homebrew (they said so publicly at CES), Sprint is not against homebrew (Rick Boatright did an official talk on homebrew at their official developer conference), but some idiotic individual Sprint Techs (or their managers) are trying to get out of fixing your hardware problems by blaming a piece of unrelated software for the problem.

So just full erase and webOS Doctor, and demonstrate the hardware problem on a virgin factory-fresh phone. Then there is no issue. If a full erase and webOS Doctor actually fixes your issue, then you just saved yourself a trip to the Sprint store.

-- Rod
    Yeah i tried that but whatever was wrong with the phone was stopping me from removing everything. I really dont know what the issue was but I couldnt use the doctor to do a full wipe because the radio had stopped working. The phone ws totally frozen. I want to put my patches back on but if my phone dies like that again they wont fix it because they are *******.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    what ever.....what about the TONS of other people like me who have preware on their pres...they don't have trouble....if preware messed up my phone I would not use it palm woeld block us reom using it....just tell ur sprint people that you will drop them(not pay the bill) and use verzion or somthing like that
    I'm just relating my experience. I know that the tech was just a lazy, barely trained monkey who just didnt feel like working but there isnt much I can do. I do not have a plethora of service stores around me to go to.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234