Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Without Preware, patches, and Homebrew apps I would not have kept this phone. I appreciate the hard work these folks have done!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We're not aware of any reason why dev mode would make the device less stable.

And yes, I'm expecting a 1.4.1 in short order from Palm

-- Rod
    as i thought, it was probably just my imagination. I got a bit freaked out by some webos 1.4 bugs (music playing without music app open, anyone?) and worried that it was something to do with remix or quickinstall or something. but as i see, it was just the webos update.

i hope no readers are getting the wrong idea from this thread... i absolutely love what the community has done in making this awesome phone awesomer, and i'm planning on making a donation just from the fact i can get u.s. apps!

oh hey, by the way... my phone was unlocked by goma, i have no idea how he did it. if i were to doctor it, is it possible it'd be re-locked?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    If you use preware be reasonable.. you'll want to get every patch you read, but like the fat kid in Willy Wonka, you'll be sorry.

Read and don't get patches that touch the same file area if you can help it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    So you're projecting your experience of homebrew authors who did not heed Palm's advice to use a different appid for homebrew and app catalog apps (none of which were written by the same authors as Preware), and your experience of a couple of bad patches (again, none of which were written by the Preware authors), and using that to comment on whether someone should use the Preware app?

That's like saying that you shouldn't use your DVD player cause you once used it to watch an awful movie ...

It's a personal choice as to whether someone uses Preware or not (and I won't try and convince you one way or the other), but please make it a rational choice based on facts about Preware, rather than an irrational choice based on some bad piece of homebrew that Preware happened to install for you.

-- Rod
    I used to use preware for several months prior to my bad experiences but the fact I obtained these bad apps and patches via preware is enough to justify my comments. I did not at any point say "preware is bad, dont use it", the op asked for opinions and experiences and I gave him mine. What safeguards are now in place to stop me installing a bad app or patch in the future? The fact is I had to doctor my phone to remove my problems and im not willing to take the risk of having to do so again. Preware is a very good program and a lot of the apps and patches are awesome and I appreciate the work which has gone into them but for now I wont be using it.

Another reason for me not to use it is the fact I can never install anything unless im using wifi, my data connection would always throw up a ipkg error which got annoying to say the least.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    IcerC, the pre commercials are you?

WAY TO GO! I LOVE i like birds (both eels and the ad)

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.

Although for Windows it's more likely to be the operating system ...

-- Rod
    Yeah, tho to be fair, if you're running say Windows Server 2003, as your os, it probably isn't! As that is the most stable client OS in history; prolly does a pretty good job as a server os too!
    On the other hand Windows vista home basic is liable to crash just cos you've decided in a wild 'throw caution to the wind' mood, to switch your pc on!

back to the topic .... after 1.4, and with preware; 112 installed preware/wosqi apps and patches; wifi on; phone on; phone data off, gps off, and bluetooth off ; screen off; no active apps; and just after a reset and off a battery charged to Actual 100% (as opposed to reported UI)
    ie Standby Mode!
    Battery drain per hour on my gsm pre was 2.9% : equivalent to around 36 hours life.

Obviously that drain per hour goes out of the window when you actually start using it - but useful to know if you were stuck in the sahara - and def a lower drain per hour than prior to 1.4!!
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    I'm not using either but have been seriously considering it. But so far, I don't feel like anything is missing. That being said, there are a couple of patches I would love.
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    I used to use preware for several months prior to my bad experiences but the fact I obtained these bad apps and patches via preware is enough to justify my comments. I did not at any point say "preware is bad, dont use it", the op asked for opinions and experiences and I gave him mine. What safeguards are now in place to stop me installing a bad app or patch in the future? The fact is I had to doctor my phone to remove my problems and im not willing to take the risk of having to do so again. Preware is a very good program and a lot of the apps and patches are awesome and I appreciate the work which has gone into them but for now I wont be using it.

Another reason for me not to use it is the fact I can never install anything unless im using wifi, my data connection would always throw up a ipkg error which got annoying to say the least.
    All good points - you're obviously making a very rational personal decision.

We can take up the errors you are seeing in the Preware thread if you like.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hey rwhitby, just wondering if you'd be able to shed any light on this: my phone was unlocked by goma, i have no idea how he did it. if i were to doctor it, i'm wondering if i'd run the risk of it becoming locked again? obviously that would be a huge prob.

im thinking he used a rebel sim but i could be wrong and most likely it would be re-locked
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    isn't a rebel sim something that has to stay in? i'm just using my own sim. the actual phone was unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    hey rwhitby, just wondering if you'd be able to shed any light on this: my phone was unlocked by goma, i have no idea how he did it. if i were to doctor it, i'm wondering if i'd run the risk of it becoming locked again? obviously that would be a huge prob.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    im thinking he used a rebel sim but i could be wrong and most likely it would be re-locked
    The RebelSim is not involved. It will not re-lock. Your phone is permanently unlocked. I have 'doctored mine a couple of times with no problems.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    thanks johncc, that's actually quite good news.

when you doctored, did you doctor to 'european gsm' or sprint or something?

thanks johncc, that's actually quite good news.

when you doctored, did you doctor to 'european gsm' or sprint or something?
    just 'european gsm'. From Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    I have a lot of apps on the pre plus, but what makes this phone my phone are the combination of patches I use. I hardly ever use the 5 pages of apps I have (except Preware and News Room). I have 30 patches loaded right now, though. No problems.

I think I would pay more for the patches than for the apps.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    although, one part of my question i'm still curious about - is anyone else not using preware? or am i seriously theonly one? that'd be kinda funny :P
    LOL. Nope, you're still in the majority. Most (in this case "most," by definition, is >50%) of Pre owners have stock devices and have never installed preware, patches, or the like. In fact, there was a poll a while back, and the percent of homebrew users was only about 10%.
    rwhitby's figure of 160,000 pretty much confirms that the unofficial poll could be correct since way more than 1.6MM pre/pixis have been sold.
    Last edited by PREtarted; 03/08/2010 at 02:58 AM.
    I installed 4 patches on my pre via WebOSQuickinstall 3.02 soon after upgrading to 1.4. Prior to installing this patches I was able edit media on my pre with itunes. After installing patches my pre will no longer connect to itunes. Now I can't even remove the pathes! I get a message from QuickInstall stating that all patches are removed but thats not the case. All the patches I attempt to remove still work.

Is there another way of removing patches without using the doctor? Would preware help in removing patches or connecting to itunes?
    Last edited by hardayswerk; 03/08/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I run 60+ patches and a dozen or so Homebrew apps. Mostly I use Preware because the OTA install is a little more convenient for me, but I'm also a WOSQI user. IMO, both products work very well for their intended purpose, which is install stuff on your Pre. I'm in IT (data analyst) but I'm not a programmer nor particularly technical. I did engage in some early patching by rooting the phone but I'm much happier to use tools like Preware and WebOS QI. I've had to visit the Doctor once, back when 1.3.5 came out. Not the greatest experience, but it wasn't a disaster either. A couple hours' inconvenience, during which I was able to do other stuff (house cleaning, IIRC) while the doctor was running.

I love all of the customization that's possible due to the patches, services and apps available through the Homebrew community and the genius of the WebOSInternals folks & Jason R/Canuck Software who've provided easy to use installers. Also lots of kudos to Prethemer, who makes it easy to build your own themes. My Pre experience wouldn't be half as enjoyable without the many tweaks and homebrew apps I've installed.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. Some folks just don't want to mess with their phones. That's fine. I have enough confidence in my ability to understand the technical issues that I can troubleshoot most problems I encounter. I've had some patches that don't want to install properly, but that's usually due to trying to apply patches that modify the same parts of WebOS. Sometimes it's as easy as selectively applying patches until you get them in the right order. Some patches just won't play well together. It'd be great to have that information available in the patch descriptions, but that kind of exhaustive testing is tough to do for folks who, however dedicated and talented, probably don't have the resources (time, labor, etc) to check their patch(es) against every other one. In the end I'm happy to be a bit of a beta tester (delta tester, maybe, since the released patches, services and apps aren't in beta). My personal experience is that most problems are resolved by simply removing the offending patch/app/service, or (in the extreme case) using the WebOS Doctor. If that's not for you then feel free to stick with the stock Pre/Pixi, & get your apps from the Palm App Catalog. If you feel like making your Pre YOURS by customizing it to your liking, jump in with the installer of your choice (Preware or WebOS QI) and have fun patching your Pre. If you can program your DVR, you probably have the level of technical capability needed to use these excellent tools. For me, the benefits far outweigh the consequences of the occasionally buggy patch, service or app. Your milage may vary, but by "far outweigh" I mean like 97% to 2%.
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
    As a fledgling nerd who is incapable of graduating to journeyman status, I find myself repeating the same mistakes again and again:

*Never read the instructions
    *Never follow the instructions that you didn't read in the first place.
    *Reboot first, ask questions later.

It gets me in trouble quite often. Due to my wreck less abandonment, I have Doctored my own Pre twice and Doctored one other in the past year. However, I can say confidently that Mr. Whitby and Mr. Robitaille have developed tools that make the WebOS experience almost completely ***** proof. If Sprint and Palm both collapsed tomorrow that would only mean one thing. WiFi-->Vonage-->Home Based service.

If that makes no since to the forum, then let me restate my little OPUS. Homebrew and its associated tools i.e. PreWare/WOSQI are why the WebOS Platform is great. They make WebOS the most customizable and personalized computer that ever fit into my front pocket. Without Preware and WOSQI, Palm would be just another mediocre bauble for highly delusional wannabe technocrats.

There, hopefully, those are sufficient praises for WebOS and Preware.
  20. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    interesting note about homebrew. i went through many replacement devices very quickly and Palm called me to ask why that happened, what they could do to improve on the Pre, and if there were any questions i had.

one of the devices had the "orange" key stop working, so i told the rep that i had used the homebrew touch-screen keyboard. i said "i probably wouldn't do that to one that i was going to keep, though."

he became very adamant and very clear on the next point:

"There's nothing wrong with using homebrew on your Pre. I do it, and other than there's no support for the patches and apps through homebrew, it's completely fine. Palm has no issue whatsoever with you using homebrew."

i was impressed. can you imagine if you mentioned jailbreaking on the phone to apple?

"click."
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast