Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I would say, don't install Preware and use WebOS Quick Install. Much safer
    what a slightly absurd statement
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
    what a slightly absurd statement
    If petvas did experience the problem during the 8 hours after the webOS 1.4 release where the server was overloaded, then his response to that experience is quite understandable.

It was quite a frustrating time for everyone involved, but we've fixed the underlying cause and also put safeguards in place to remove the symptoms as well.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    An european Palm Pre (without paid apps) is only worth 20% without Preware. Period.
    I've owned a palm pre since July 09 & have used the preware with NO problem until the last update (1.4). I don't understand how my phone bricked & everyones elses was fine (lol). I only had 6 patches & I updated everything BEFORE 1.4, but 12 hrs after updating to 1.4, whenever I tried to open Preware it wouldn't open & then finally the phone wouldn't do anything, luckily I have replacement insurance & have a new one. I love Preware & want to put it on my new phone but am kinda scurred too! lol
    Preware is a fantastic facility and I would not enjoy my Pre half as much without it. The ease with which it handles patches is great.

Your (Bennish's) fear (phobia) is misplaced. What you really have is patchphobia or homebrewappphobia, because Preware simply installs them easily on your phone and then disappears when you close it.

It does seems a bit of an overreaction to swear off all patches because of the bad behaviour of a couple. Just uninstall the culprit and move on. I usually install them after recommendations from the forums and would not be without my couple of dozen patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    So you're projecting your experience of homebrew authors who did not heed Palm's advice to use a different appid for homebrew and app catalog apps (none of which were written by the same authors as Preware), and your experience of a couple of bad patches (again, none of which were written by the Preware authors), and using that to comment on whether someone should use the Preware app?

That's like saying that you shouldn't use your DVD player cause you once used it to watch an awful movie ...

It's a personal choice as to whether someone uses Preware or not (and I won't try and convince you one way or the other), but please make it a rational choice based on facts about Preware, rather than an irrational choice based on some bad piece of homebrew that Preware happened to install for you.

-- Rod
    To be fair, to non-technical folks, what he suggested is probably the best option. How would joe-schmoe know that his problem is caused by a badly written app or patch? In their shoes, sticking with "official" apps and functionality is their best bet as it's a supported/"official" thing (for lack of a better term).

Preware is great as is the core foundation you guys built for interoperability, but you guys are not, and should not, be responsible for every piece of software installed using it. For those not savvy enough to discern what could have caused an issue, their inclination is to nip the rose in the bud and move on.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    thing is, im reasonably patient and many patches have ended up becoming features. I think ill just go wirh apps.
    I think your facts are a bit out on this one. 9 months after the Pre was launched and you still can not enter a CR/LF in the texting / messaging app !!

There is a patch which makes the Enter Key do a carriage return, which gives texting a better layout. As it happens, this patch is currently not working due to 1.4, but it will be 'adjusted' soon I'm sure.

I quote this patch as it's such an obvious error by Palm, but it's not been fixed yet.

I've got 40 patches installed on my Pre, which make such a difference to how I use it.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway

p.s. i've installed quickinstall on my pc, and i'm just about to try getting the 'bweather' app using this process http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...r-country.html
    You are 90% there, so go the whole hog and install Preware

Preware makes it so much easier to find and install all the goodies. No more plugging in the usb and making sure you are in Developer mode.

You can do it all from anywhere, not tied to your PC
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    To be fair, to non-technical folks, what he suggested is probably the best option. How would joe-schmoe know that his problem is caused by a badly written app or patch?
    The same way joe-schmoe determines whether an application they download and install on their Windows PC is the cause of the crash, as compared to the operating system or the InstallShield program (which is the closest analogy to Preware) used to install that application.

Although for Windows it's more likely to be the operating system ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    If you're not using Preware then you're just limiting yourself and your Pre needlessly.
    The same way joe-schmoe determines whether an application they download and install on their Windows PC is the cause of the crash, as compared to the operating system or the InstallShield program (which is the closest analogy to Preware) used to install that application.

Although for Windows it's more likely to be the operating system ...

-- Rod
    I think you miss the point, but in any case, the same would happen on a PC (another reason so many flock to Mac).

Not everyone wants to take the time to understand why they're phone is suddenly acting up after installing something through preware. If it happens enough, they'll equate Preware with the source of their frustrations and stick to the official apps which (usually) cause no problem.

Of course us technical folk know the difference, but I think it's also important to step back and take a look at things through the eyes of your end users, which are often times not technical people.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    I think you miss the point, but in any case, the same would happen on a PC (another reason so many flock to Mac).

Not everyone wants to take the time to understand why they're phone is suddenly acting up after installing something through preware. If it happens enough, they'll equate Preware with the source of their frustrations and stick to the official apps which (usually) cause no problem.

Of course us technical folk know the difference, but I think it's also important to step back and take a look at things through the eyes of your end users, which are often times not technical people.
    Don't get me wrong, I get your point exactly, and I'm usually the one making that same point inside WebOS Internals

My point is that the people posting and reading on PreCentral.net deserve to be given the true facts of the matter, hence these posts which are designed to educate them so that they can make a rational choice.

I fully support the fact that whether or not you use homebrew is a personal choice, and no-one should disparage someone else's personal choice. Let's just make sure it's an informed personal choice ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    just do it. it's worth it!
    A full erase plus a webOS doctor gives you a factory fresh phone. I'm assuming your phone was unlocked legally, and the unlocking is not reverted by using a webOS doctor.

-- Rod
    Rod:

I was about to do just that, not because of any major problems, but because I like to give the Pre a brainwash every several months to clean up scattered stuff.

There are various posts that say that even a full erase plus a doctoring (in this case, 1.4) still leave stray pieces of old installs. Is that accurate?

P.S. I'm running a CDMA Pre, if that's relevant.
    Last edited by grappler; 03/03/2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Also, I've seen some people advocating full erase + turn off backup + erase backup + doctor to get a "truly clean" phone. Won't turning off and erasing backup lose all app info?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for coming in and giving some info, rwhitby, i really apprecaite it. this has turned out to be a rather active little thread!

johncc is entirely correct, i have patchphobia and homebrewappphobia, rather than prewarephobia. Especially patchaphobia. I also suffer from an obsessiveness about these things. i run an extremely tight windows install and i tend to be the same way with anything that has an os. i'm very much a 'factory fresh' kinda user. i know it's 99.99% psychological. even the 1.4 update instability which really, is fairly minor a nd i'm sure will be fixed in 1.4.1, is bothering me more than it should.

I did end up installing music remix but i found it rather sluggish compared to the default app. i had second thoughts and did a data/app wipe last nite as i was having some weird problems that turned out, as i found this morning, to simply be webos 1.4 bugs (man is that update buggy!).

Although, and I don't know if it's just my imagination... webos 1.4 seemed actually more unstable while i had dev mode on. does that make sense? or is it just the reboot after turning dev mode off that fixed some stability.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Thanks so much for coming in and giving some info, rwhitby, i really apprecaite it. this has turned out to be a rather active little thread!

johncc is entirely correct, i have patchphobia and homebrewappphobia, rather than prewarephobia. Especially patchaphobia.

I did end up installing music remix but i found it rather sluggish compared to the default app. i had second thoughts and did a data/app wipe last nite as i was having some weird problems that turned out, as i found this morning, to simply be webos 1.4 bugs (man is that update buggy!).

Although, and I don't know if it's just my imagination... webos 1.4 seemed actually more unstable while i had dev mode on. does that make sense? or is it just the reboot after turning dev mode off that fixed some stability.
    We're not aware of any reason why dev mode would make the device less stable.

And yes, I'm expecting a 1.4.1 in short order from Palm

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Also, I've seen some people advocating full erase + turn off backup + erase backup + doctor to get a "truly clean" phone. Won't turning off and erasing backup lose all app info?
    Yes, you've said you want a clean phone, so all apps would be erased, and then re-downloaded and re-installed when you logged back into your palm profile. You will lose any saved game data and stuff like that - it's a clean wipe you're asking for.

Note that some things (like the number of launcher pages, and positions of the icons in those pages, and browser bookmarks, and LED notifications status) are actually stored in your Palm profile, and will also be restored. This can sometimes make people think that some patches are still installed after a full erase and doctor, but it is not the case.

-- Rod
    well I downloaded Preware & no problems so far! I did notice a little something going on with the DEV mode as the earlier person suggested. Added 3 patches & my FIRST theme! God I love this phone!!!
    When it comes to computers I am your "average Joe-Schome" and back in the summer before webOSQI, when you had to root your Pre to install patches I decided that it was way over my head so I never jumped in. But in the fall I was following the threads in this forum and all of the postive posts about Preware and patches and I decided with the advent of webOSQI (thanks Jason!) even someone like myself could have Preware and patches on my phone. I think is was in Oct. that I first took the plunge and never regretted it, the step by step instructions posted by precentral.net made the installation simple and in the 4 months that I have had Preware I have never had to doctor my Pre and just by following the instructions by the Preware dev., the 1.4 update went smoothly with no hiccups. My suggestion to you is go ahead and take a walk on the wild side, you won't regret it. If you have any issues, there always someone here that will jump in and give you a hand.

P.S
    Don't forget to help out with a donation, what ever you can afford is cool.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast