1.    #1  
    If I activate GPS and then search Chase Bank, for example, the google list of Chase banks with phone number and "Get Directions" is a list of Chase banks no where near my GPS location. Two are actually located 25 miles west of my location in a suburb that I frequent. One is in the city I live in but again, no where near my GPS location. This doesn't seem right to me. Is the desired out come I'm going for here not a feature on the pre? This would be EXTREMELY useful if I was in a city that I am not familiar with and I need cash, or whatever it may be. Or even in a city I am familiar with. From what I understand, the iphone does this. I love the pre and I've really been putting it to the test as of late.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Well, if you just search for chase bank in the web browser, it DOES NOT use gps, but relies on where your ip is coming from.

HOWEVER, searching in the google maps app does use gps.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
  3.    #3  
    Very cool, I got that to work. Although, there is a chase branch right around the corner from me that it did not pick up. Strange.

Can you explain the ip thing? Is that internet provider? Sorry, I don't know understand that stuff very well. Thanks for the reply.

also, i noticed the scrolling in google maps is a little stiffer. I kind of like it. For example, if you are requesting directions and it show the list of steps, you can't really flick it and scroll through fast.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Some questions and background -

1) Are you indoors when doing this search? GPS location needs a lock on at least 3 satellites to work properly, and being indoors is not (always) conducive to this. There are exceptions (see below). Weather (clouds) also effects GPS operation (sat signal strength).

2) ARE there Chase locations closer to your current (at the time) location? If so, can you find them on Google Maps on a computer? Google is not always up-to-date on business locations (I've found this out the hard way, more than once).

Just tested, and well, it seems like the issue is with Google... I'm on the West side of Midtown Manhattan, and currently in the middle of the building. Google Maps shows my location within a block (to be expected) If I go and hang by a window for a couple, it'll pinpoint me, though. Tried 3 searchs - Chase / Chase Bank / Chase. The 2 Penn Plaza branch (closed to me) did not show until the third search. It's not your phone. It's Google... Go figure...

-JerryG

Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    If I activate GPS and then search Chase Bank, for example, the google list of Chase banks with phone number and "Get Directions" is a list of Chase banks no where near my GPS location. Two are actually located 25 miles west of my location in a suburb that I frequent. One is in the city I live in but again, no where near my GPS location. This doesn't seem right to me. Is the desired out come I'm going for here not a feature on the pre? This would be EXTREMELY useful if I was in a city that I am not familiar with and I need cash, or whatever it may be. Or even in a city I am familiar with. From what I understand, the iphone does this. I love the pre and I've really been putting it to the test as of late.
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    Very cool, I got that to work. Although, there is a chase branch right around the corner from me that it did not pick up. Strange.

Can you explain the ip thing? Is that internet provider? Sorry, I don't know understand that stuff very well. Thanks for the reply.

also, i noticed the scrolling in google maps is a little stiffer. I kind of like it. For example, if you are requesting directions and it show the list of steps, you can't really flick it and scroll through fast.
    Your phone has an IP that sprint assigns it, and google uses that ip to find your general location. IE if I lookup my home ip, it tells me what city im in (not really more specific than that). Thats what google uses for web searches. For phones, it uses the towers general area, not the phones.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
  6.    #6  
    Yea, interesting. I got the branch to show up the second time around. I went to my window the second time.