1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,
    While I do LOVE my Pre, and all that it lets me do, I have to admit that the jump to 1.4 was EXTREMELY trying! There are some nasty bits of patches left over that have even lingered after a visit to the WebOS Doc, WOSQI, Preware, etc.
    While I didn't want to do it, I chose to do a FULL ERASE (After selective backup of course ), a WebOS Doc back to 1.2.1 (the oldest one I could find), and then Doc'd back to 1.4. Now everything seems to be peachy keen.
    What I didn't do was:
    1. Start a new thread calling my Pre the worst phone in the world.
    2. Start a new thread calling Palm a piece of garbage company.
    3. Complain about anything and everything and do so no stop
    4. Listened to others advice, and came out on top becuase of it!

What I am saying here is, if your phone is messing up, and you can't figure out what to do, just look above. Yes it may be tedious, but at MOST it took less than an hour. That's from start to finish. Now I have a nice clean install, and I didn't have to tick anyone on the forum off to do it.
    Yes it will take longer to re-download my apps, but oh well...that's what my 25 Mbps cable connection is for!

Cheers!
    Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
    +1

Maybe people will follow your example.
    It should be a rule: No posting about problems after the 1.4 update until you do a Web Doctor clean install!!

If there are problems after that, let's see if we can work it out or figure out if it's a true bug.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    It should be a rule: No posting about problems after the 1.4 update until you do a Web Doctor clean install!!

If there are problems after that, let's see if we can work it out or figure out if it's a true bug.
    Agreed!
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I am with you what are the 1.4 issues so we can discusss them .
    Quote Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
    I guess the title of your thread really didn't have anythiing with what you wanted to get across. While I am guessing you were trying to be clever . I read the article for the 1.4 issue content and I did not read about any 1.4 problems specifcally. The 1.4 issue points of your thread is what I was getting at. You are welcome.
    It looks like the OP was able to solve all the problems he was having w/ the doctor and is recommending that others try the doctor before they blame the phone and/or post in the straight 1.4 issues thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
    I am with you what are the 1.4 issues so we can discusss them .
    His patches had conflicts with 1.4. Therefore, his issues were 1.4 related. At least 75% of the 1.4 complaints are due to previous patches. We need more people like the OP who try to solve their problems first before jumping on PC and blindly posting threads.

The typical 1.4 thread goes like this:
    OP: "OMG THE 1.4 BROWSER DOESN't WORK!!!!! Palm screwed us all!"
    Us: "Try running EPR"
    OP: "OMG it's still broken!!!"
    Us: "Run WebOS Doctor"
    OP: "oh everything works now"

The point being no one seems to even attempt to fix their problems on their own. People should be capable of thinking for themselves. But instead they jump on here. There is no reason to post a new thread until you have exhausted all options. Run the Doctor, then if it's still messed up ask here for help.

The OP was just trying to make a point.
    Wow powerbyte, you start a good thread that can actually be very useful to people and someone comes along to pick out the title/topic. Seriously???

I'm sure a lot of people will find this thread helpful. There's always that one though, the one with no common sense and no respect for others. The one that has nothing better to do than attempt to make witty comments rather than posting something that could actually be helpful.

Just had to get that out after reading some of the ignorance.

***EDIT*** More ignorance below. You don't even make sense, you know who you are.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 03/02/2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Would you guys please drop it?
    Just call me Berd.
    So, let me actually address a question related to the topic suggested by Powerbyte.

When you updated from 1.2.1, did it go directly to 1.4 or did it go to 1.4 via 1.3.5 (or some variant)?

I've had relatively few issues with the upgrade even though I have quite a few patches installed and am addicted to Preware. But, I've always thought it would be a good exercise to do exactly what you described (with the exception of reinstalling my patches, which I assume you have not done, correct?) just to know that I can do it and to see if things get even better than they are right now.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So, let me actually address a question related to the topic suggested by Powerbyte.

When you updated from 1.2.1, did it go directly to 1.4 or did it go to 1.4 via 1.3.5 (or some variant)?

I've had relatively few issues with the upgrade even though I have quite a few patches installed and am addicted to Preware. But, I've always thought it would be a good exercise to do exactly what you described (with the exception of reinstalling my patches, which I assume you have not done, correct?) just to know that I can do it and to see if things get even better than they are right now.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    I Doc'd down to 1.2 then right after it finished, I Doc'd right to 1.4. Now, understand that after 1.2 finished, I let it sign into my profile and you probably don't need to do that, but I wasn't paying attention (kiddies and pets and schtuff).

So my path went 1.2--------->>>>>>1.4----->>>> Clean and Shiny Pre For ME!

Like I said in the first post, before all this nonsense happened, it is a pain in the rear, but well worth it in my honest opinion.

Whatever you do, good luck!
  12.    #12  
    Should the title of this thread be "Doc it like it's hot"
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I Doc'd down to 1.2 then right after it finished, I Doc'd right to 1.4. Now, understand that after 1.2 finished, I let it sign into my profile and you probably don't need to do that, but I wasn't paying attention (kiddies and pets and schtuff).

So my path went 1.2--------->>>>>>1.4----->>>> Clean and Shiny Pre For ME!

Like I said in the first post, before all this nonsense happened, it is a pain in the rear, but well worth it in my honest opinion.

Whatever you do, good luck!
    I'm glad this thread got back on topic.

I doctored my Pre to 1.3.5 before 1.4. when I updated, it skipped over 1.3.5.1 and went straight to 1.4.
  14.    #14  
    so has anyone doc'd all the way back to 1.2?
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    so has anyone doc'd all the way back to 1.2?
    I haven't, but am seriously considering it. I'm not really having any problems, but I think I'd just like a clean setup. I tend to do this with my PCs as well.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I haven't, but am seriously considering it. I'm not really having any problems, but I think I'd just like a clean setup. I tend to do this with my PCs as well.
    The thing that really frustrated me the most was the fact of what I will call "patch residue". Especially the add-delete pages patch. Even after double doctoring to 1.3.5.1 then to 1.4 twice, patch residue was still there.

I remembered reading about the older WebOS doctors erasing pretty much everything and figured I'd give that a try. BINGO!
    <<closed>>

Next time a Moderator asks you guys to 'drop it' do not continue the 'back & forth.'

<<posts deleted>>

OP is welcome to recreate this Topic, this thread will remain closed.
    Just call me Berd.