Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Has anyone else with a Verizon Pre noticed if the 1.4 update fixed the GPS issue? I haven't really had a chance to test it extensively.

For those who don't know, GPS was taking some time to lock. The workaround for this seemed to be to open Verizon Navigator in the background (without accepting the subscription) and then Google Maps would get an instant lock. Without doing that, it could take forever to get a lock.

I was hoping 1.4 would resolve this for us. Has anyone tested it?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Still the same issue on my Pre Plus, 1.4 did not have any effect on it.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I never had a problem with my pre plus using 1.3.5.1 - I used extensively on a recent trip. Will give 1.4 a try soon.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post
    Still the same issue on my Pre Plus, 1.4 did not have any effect on it.
    Man, that sucks. I was hoping that was the reason that Verizon's update was delayed.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I will try mine as well to see if it's fixed.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Okay, I just went outside to test it. I regret to report that Google Maps did NOT get a lock within 5 minutes under an open sky. As soon as I opened VZ Navigator in the background, it got an instant lock. As soon as I closed VZ Navigator, it lost the lock. I didn't wait to see if it reacquired a lock on its own.

This is really disappointing. Verizon needs to address this. People are saying that Verizon specifically did this to increase sales of their navigator program, but that's all speculation. Palm creates the software, so it has to be a bug with the Verizon version of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    Okay, I just went outside to test it. I regret to report that Google Maps did NOT get a lock within 5 minutes under an open sky. As soon as I opened VZ Navigator in the background, it got an instant lock. As soon as I closed VZ Navigator, it lost the lock. I didn't wait to see if it reacquired a lock on its own.

This is really disappointing. Verizon needs to address this. People are saying that Verizon specifically did this to increase sales of their navigator program, but that's all speculation. Palm creates the software, so it has to be a bug with the Verizon version of the phone.
    But Verizon Navigator is proprietary to Verizon. So if opening Nav solves then in my mind Verizon must have asked for specific in their build of 1.4 that relates to GPS. I don't know; I'm just guessing. But it is strange that it locks on immediately when you open VZ Nav. Sounds like V has their fingers in the drink.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I don't see why Verizon would deliberately screw over their customers, as they have a reputation to consider. I suppose it's possible. What I know is, without VZ Nav open, I can't get a lock. And this is my second Verizon Pre and both had the issue.
    The GPS is still broken and in fact, on my Pre Plus, it's even more restrictive in v1.4 with GPS than 1.3.5.1. I used to be able to get a GPS lock if I was outside, but now I have to have the VZ Navigator open in the background before I get a GPS lock. In fact, even if I dial ##GPS# I cannot get a lock anymore without the VZ Nav open.

Verizon has a reputation and it is definitely preceding them. In fact a few weeks ago when I spoke with Palm, they admitted to me that Verizon did disable the GPS because they wanted people to go with their Navigator software. What I fear next is that Verizon will probably disable turning on the GPS in the early screen of the VZ Navigator, thus crippling this phone's GPS completely, unless you purchase their software.

If anyone has been with Verizon long enough, they would know they have a reputation for crippling phones. They did it a few years ago with Bluetooth and if memory serves me correctly, there was a class action lawsuit where they lost - now they're doing it with GPS.

The Sprint Pre has not had the issues with GPS as Verizon has and when another developer on this forum looked further into the code from the Pre Plus, two of the three GPS options were indeed disabled.

After everything I've recently been going through with verizon, I believe this would be my last phone purchase and contract renewal with them. I'm a long time customer with Verizon and quite frankly, I'm through with them - especially since they are just too expensive all around.
    Sadly, still no fix. I used to be able to do ##GPS# fix to get a lock for almost the whole day... Now I MUST have VZ Nav open in the background & if I close the card it will lose the signal too.
    This sounds like a terrible issue. I have a sprint pre and love using sprint navigation (included in all pre plans), but also love the option of having google maps. I'd imagine if I was with verizon, i'd just use google maps. I am surprised that palm isn't taking this issue more seriously. Even if vz is "blocking" the gps so that people are required to pay for navigator, palm has to be smart enough to fix it. How can people complain that vz reps are pushing droids instead of the pre plus if you can't use any gps functionality on the phone without an the navigator. There are so many apps I use that it's essential for...checking movie times, google maps, yelp, etc. Verizon may be "evil" and blocking it, but palm needs to get its act together and be smart enough to fix it...at least for now if the code is known, maybe the webosinternals guys can patch it?
    looks like the Verizon Mexicans came into your guys houses and stole your TV while you where watching it. "I'm from the repair company eh..."
    I can't believe that works. That's terribly disappointing.
    Verizon did the same exact thing with the WinMo phone 6800/titan. Sprint had the phone with GPS all perfect and Verizon restricted it to their own service. So many people complained to verizon that they finally unlocked it. People need to call and complain. Remember...the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    I've already sent this thread to Engadget, Gizmodo, and the official Palm forums. I'll be calling Verizon tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Seems that the location is still way off on my Pixi Plus. It is off by about 6 houses. The Pre on Sprint was scary accurate. It was almost good enough to pinpoint the specific room in my house -- no kidding.
    The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are not GPS locked down on Verizon. There seems to be a bug in the Verizon build of WebOS and I think Bell users were experiencing something similar. My girls Pre Plus and my brothers Pixi Plus both work fine with the GPS. Trust me if Verizon wanted the GPS locked down it wouldn't even work with Vznav in the background like some have to do it. This needs to be brought to Palm's attention to be fixed and hopefully soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are not GPS locked down on Verizon. There seems to be a bug in the Verizon build of WebOS and I think Bell users were experiencing something similar. My girls Pre Plus and my brothers Pixi Plus both work fine with the GPS. Trust me if Verizon wanted the GPS locked down it wouldn't even work with Vznav in the background like some have to do it. This needs to be brought to Palm's attention to be fixed and hopefully soon.
    I believe they may have had "Use Google Services" enabled in location services, in the preferences menu, along with GPS. This uses the phone network's towers and utilized triangulation. I had this enabled when mine was working originally, but when I disabled this and only used GPS it would not work. I could not get this to work on all 5 Pre phones I had access to, as well as 2 on the sales floor in the Verizon stores. The Palm technician I spoke to also mentioned that Verizon did disable this to promote the sales of their product....

I'd be curious to know if they had this option enabled on theirs - can you let us know?
    honestly, something HAS to be done here. darthtoad05 has the right idea here, we have to appeal to the press. It's absolutely embarrassing to see my friends google g1 navigate with 100% accuracy and have my brand spanking new palm pre get pwn3d.

if anyone has any ideas of how we can get big red to fix this garbage, please post
    I was just using my GPS yesterday to test out GeoStrings. Mine works fine and I've never started VZNav. And no, Google Services is not on. All I do is turn on my gps and dial ##GPS# and it got a lock within 30-45 seconds. And I close that app and open Google Maps and it works fine.
    Last edited by JPDVM2014; 03/03/2010 at 10:21 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast