Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    Okay, I just went outside to test it. I regret to report that Google Maps did NOT get a lock within 5 minutes under an open sky. As soon as I opened VZ Navigator in the background, it got an instant lock. As soon as I closed VZ Navigator, it lost the lock. I didn't wait to see if it reacquired a lock on its own.
    Once again I need to report the opposite experience. This morning I stood in my driveway and opened Google Maps. "Use Google Services" switch was off and no VZNav running. At first I got the dreaded "location not available" but I waited. Within a couple of minutes the map came up with a location. It was about a 1/4 mile off, but the amazing [and somewhat scary] thing was that as I stood there and watched for another couple of minutes the dot moved closer and closer until it was within about 10 feet of where I was standing. Got in the car and drove the 4 miles to work and it tracked me perfectly the entire way. Did a ##GPS# in the parking lot at work and it returned GPS data in about a second.

So all I can say is that it doesn't look like Verizon broke GPS on Pre. Perhaps the handful of folks who are experiencing problems could have a bad GPS chip and may want to see about swapping your device. Or maybe I got the one Pre that Verizon forgot to break.
    I turned on use google services. it does help a little bit but still get the GPS error once in a while.

I miss my Sprint Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by imonvzw View Post
    sf_basilix, if #2 on your list is true, we need to do 2 things about this. First we need to get either Palm or Verizon to acknowledge that they did mess with the GPS. We need to get on their assets* for allowing Verizon's other phones GPS's (Blackberry, WinMo, etc) to play nice with other programs and not on Palms phones. They need to fix this.
    I give you my word that this is what Palm said to me over the phone - as to whether or not it is valid is the question. The way the person told it to me, seemed like they knew what they were talking about, which is the only reason why I brought it up.

Second thing is we need to ask the developers that make patches or hack WebOS to make a way around this if possible.
    I'm all for it, but not sure how to go about doing this. I think this would also justify some of the speculation on the boards. If some developers who knew how to get around the OS were able to compare the Sprint Pre's GPS settings with the Verizon's I think we could put this to rest. Personally, just from everything already said, I am leaning more towards Verizon doing something wrong here, but it's not like I have been wrong in the past and will stand corrected if this is the case.

Quick question: What happens with an application that uses a GPS signal other than Google Maps, does it still work?
    I currently do not have many apps that utilize GPS, but I can tell you that prior to 1.4 (when I was running 1.3.5.1 on the Pre Plus), the only app I had with GPS was the Weather Channel. If I was outside, it would grab a GPS signal just fine and give me a response (although it took a while). However, I will also say that dialing ##GPS# also gave me a lock in 1.3.5.1 and now in 1.4 it has yet to work - even if I am outside. Neither is the Weather Channel able to grab GPS info in this release either. The only way I have been able to get a GPS lock is if I first open the VZ navigator software. I know it's not my phone because it worked before 1.4 and I know it's not a corrupt 1.4 image because I doctored it multiple times, all to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    I'll let you know tonight what settings they have on their phones.
    @Krod301: any luck? I'm interested in knowing what your results are....
    Thanks!
    Came across this link a while back, but a little hesitant to run this on my phone b/c of the warnings. Has anyone else tried this to see if it would help? If no one has, maybe I'll give it an attempt this weekend, but no guarantees......

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ted-cahed.html

UPDATE: Just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I noticed that there is a VZNavigatorService running on the PrePlus. (I'm sure it was there in 1.3.5.1 as well). Curious, I went into /etc/event.d and moved its startup script out of the way. This had the effect of making the VZNavigator app stop working - and also appeared to stop the GPS working as well. (at least all of the normal post-reboot "bump the gps to make it work" tricks didn't have any effect.)
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 03/04/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    @Krod301: any luck? I'm interested in knowing what your results are....
    Thanks!
    Hey sorry about that, I got really busy. I was able to check out my girl's Pre+ and the funny thing is that it's not picking up the GPS signal. I could of swore that I know I had it working right, even after installing 1.4. Also I called my brother and he says that his is still working but I gotta say that he just got the phone and he doesn't know his way around the phone yet so he may be using cellular triangulation. I'll have to manually check his phone myself when I see him.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Blackberry 8830/8330 fiasco where we were stuck waiting for Vzw to enable the GPS around the time when the Storm I came with its GPS fully unlocked.

EDIT: I'm going to try what rixpre2010 said up above this weekend and see what happens. I'll report back.
    Came across this link a while back, but a little hesitant to run this on my phone b/c of the warnings. Has anyone else tried this to see if it would help? If no one has, maybe I'll give it an attempt this weekend, but no guarantees......

UPDATE: Just found this:
    Looks interesting, I would want to try this but I don't want to mess up my girls phone. If it were mine, I'd do anything to it.

Do you know if Dieter's Pre+ is misbehaving as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Do you know if Dieter's Pre+ is misbehaving as well?
    Unfortunately I don't know... I hate to PM him as I'm sure everyone does....

UPDATE: I just PM'ed him - will let you know if he replies....
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 03/04/2010 at 10:51 PM.
    no answer as of yet... I'm really thinking quite a bit about swinokur's comments from the other thread. If GPS is turned off when the VZ navigator startup script is disabled, wouldn't that be justification enough?

is there anyone in these threads who knows GPS well enough in WebOS that can verify this?
    What's kind of weird, is that my daughter had a Verizon Pixie for a couple of weeks before she traded for a Pre. When I checked Google maps, it seems that it pinpointed my location accurately. However, it does seem that it doesn't work right on the Pre. Could it be just an issue with the Pre Plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    What's kind of weird, is that my daughter had a Verizon Pixie for a couple of weeks before she traded for a Pre. When I checked Google maps, it seems that it pinpointed my location accurately. However, it does seem that it doesn't work right on the Pre. Could it be just an issue with the Pre Plus?
    when she had the pixie, do you remember if she had "Enable Google Services" on? I think many people who have reported their gps working at one time, realized later that this setting was indeed enabled. I do not believe there are very many who have a working gps on a pre plus....
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Here's the latest from my "Verizon people":

"I was told from the tech rep that VZ Nav is of course fully supported since it is a Verizon Wireless product/service. When it comes to Google Maps the Palm has some sort of software issue that it doesn't pull down the GPS. Running VZ Nav will allow it since VZ Nav doesn't have an issue with reading GPS and pulling it down to the phones operating system for other applications to use. It was recommended from tech support to uninstall and reinstall Google Maps. This solution has been tested but with limited success rate. Beyond that they are referring to Palm directly. The hope is with enough customer complaints they will issue a software release to correct. There is hope though, I do remember that the first Blackberry that launched with Google Maps had the exact same issue, it was later corrected by Blackberry with a software update."
    Nicky

Just to clarify a bit: the thread that is referenced is a tweak to get more GPS modes working on *any* pre. (note that the thread's author was doing his testing on sprint...)

I've done the tweak in that thread and it hasn't made any difference to the problem that us VzPrePlus owners appear to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Just to clarify a bit: the thread that is referenced is a tweak to get more GPS modes working on *any* pre. (note that the thread's author was doing his testing on sprint...)

I've done the tweak in that thread and it hasn't made any difference to the problem that us VzPrePlus owners appear to have.
    Right, I was only referring to the thread at first to see if anyone attempted those tweaks on a VZ +. Thanks for letting us know that it didn't make any changes tho - saved me from attempting this and possibly messing my phone up!

I agree that we just need to log more calls to Palm and get this fixed, one way or the other.... I'll place my call on Monday...
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    Here's the latest from my "Verizon people":

"I was told from the tech rep that VZ Nav is of course fully supported since it is a Verizon Wireless product/service. When it comes to Google Maps the Palm has some sort of software issue that it doesn't pull down the GPS. Running VZ Nav will allow it since VZ Nav doesn't have an issue with reading GPS and pulling it down to the phones operating system for other applications to use. It was recommended from tech support to uninstall and reinstall Google Maps. This solution has been tested but with limited success rate. Beyond that they are referring to Palm directly. The hope is with enough customer complaints they will issue a software release to correct. There is hope though, I do remember that the first Blackberry that launched with Google Maps had the exact same issue, it was later corrected by Blackberry with a software update."
    Thanks for the update. I do remember that ordeal with the blackberry. I'm going to make a twitter account and get on Palm for some answers. I think we should all do the same.
    Is it actually possible to uninstall and reinstall Google Maps? If so can anyone test and report back?

At least it seems that some sort of progress is being made here.
    so everyone's still having problems...i tried mine the other day to see how it worked since 1.4. much of the same, would not lock up, opening vz nav no longer got me a lock as it did before. as i'd heard someone mention it before i tried turning on the wifi which resulted in a very very quick lock for me. i was impressed. we really need someone to figure this out and maybe release a patch.

/me waves at devs
    I did hear back from Dieter and he said that he was looking into it and will check out the thread.
    Im not certain if its webos not turning on the gps or just not getting the almanc so has anyone tried installing the GPS toggle patch in device menu, have it on and then open google maps to see if that works??? I dont have a VZW pre to try this
    I just got a replacement Pre (first one had keyboard issues). The GPS wasn't working with this one. I just finished a chat with Palm support. They had me turn on use google services. That worked somewhat (location isn't exact, but close). She did say it was a known issue and that they are working on it.
    Have experienced all the same sort of problems/workarounds as everyone else with 1.3.5.1... Havent really messed with the google maps/ gps thing with 1.4 until coming across this thread today. Here`s my experience today:

Used to get a lock fairly quick in maps by doing the VZ Nav thing, not so today, wouldnt lock even after 15 min. tried the ##477# couldnt get it either ( both outside under unobstructed sky).

I also have a mapping tool app ( from palm app catalog) that used to get a lock outside reasonably quick by itself( with no VZ nav or ##477# help) so lets try that. with VZ Nav trick running it wouldnt lock even after 5 min.
    So I thought lets kill all the apps running and try the mapping tool by itself, instant lock, accurate reading...... so then I open google maps and guess what?..... instant lock same accuracy....

Came inside and tried it again, same accurate results.
    So while the VZ Nav trick worked for me with 1.3.5.1 it no longer does.
    Google maps also seems to be locking on all by itself now after a few times opening the app without any other assistance. I guess time will tell if it keeps this up.

Just a FYI......
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast