1.    #1  
    One of Apple's patents is the idea that if a user starts scrolling in one direction (say vertically), then if you accidentally move your finger to the side (horizontally) it will stay in a vertical movement only. In other words, whichever direction you choose, it locks to that.

There's a video here of the Palm Pre infringing on this: Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis -- Engadget

However, in WebOS 1.4, as far as I can tell, this one-direction locking no longer occurs!! (Try it in a web page)
    it never locked... i always was able in mid launcher swipe to another page get a horizontal and verticle swipe simultaneously
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    it never locked... i always was able in mid launcher swipe to another page get a horizontal and verticle swipe simultaneously
    No, it did work in the web browser on 1.3.5. I'd tried it and it DID lock into one direction.
    I'm pretty sure this has always been the case, though I could be wrong. Check out Gizmodo's write-up as posted on the PreCentral homepage.

Apple is infringing on multiple Palm patents so it's a bit of a wash... which is why I'm guessing that Apple has not taken Palm into litigation. Careful what you wish for kind of thing.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My Pre never locked in just one direction. I don't really see that as a big deal and in no way should it be able to hold a patent.

Patents have become far to easy to get to the point simple stuff is now held in a patent by a bunch of patent *****s like Apple.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Who cares!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Apple's lawsuit is simple: Android is the new black and Apple wants to do whatever they can to to slow down the momentum. It's not like Apple hasn't or doesn't infringe on other companies' patents. Kodak and Nokia are both suing Apple right now for infringing on patents.
    My Pre browser never did that until 1.4, LOL! I find it annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    No, it did work in the web browser on 1.3.5. I'd tried it and it DID lock into one direction.
    sorry for not being clear my experiance was in the launcher not browser
    Apple is the new Microsoft. I hope all cell phone manufacturers/developers band together and sink the smug Jobs into obscurity.

Patents and copyrights are so bogus anyways.
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

If that is a patented idea, that is a ridiculous thing.

But, as was stated, Apple is just trying to "slow their roll." Throw a little hate their way, to cast negativity.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ego2001 View Post
    If that is a patented idea, that is a ridiculous thing.

But, as was stated, Apple is just trying to "slow their roll." Throw a little hate their way, to cast negativity.
    It is patented and I agree it should not be.