Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Hi, so I don't have the Sprint $7/mo warranty, and my Pre has been acting a little weird lately, turning off by itself, etc.

Maybe it will be no big deal and I just had some random issues, but just in case I need to return my Pre, I'm wondering how I should go about it, and how good Palm is about honoring the 1 year warranty that comes with the phone.

Could I bring my phone to a Sprint store,or would I need to mail the phone in? How long would it take me to get another Pre (a refurb, I assume?)? Are there conditions I might not be aware of that would void the warranty?

Basically, I'm hoping someone will tell me about the experience of returning a Pre using the Palm warranty, and give me any pointers or suggestions that might help me with that process, in case the problems with my phone keep on getting worse and I have to try to return it.
    it wasnt too difficult just took a long time to ship here and then for my pre to reach them
    they are pretty good about it... however you need a spare phone
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Hi, so I don't have the Sprint $7/mo warranty, and my Pre has been acting a little weird lately, turning off by itself, etc.

Maybe it will be no big deal and I just had some random issues, but just in case I need to return my Pre, I'm wondering how I should go about it, and how good Palm is about honoring the 1 year warranty that comes with the phone.

Could I bring my phone to a Sprint store,or would I need to mail the phone in? How long would it take me to get another Pre (a refurb, I assume?)? Are there conditions I might not be aware of that would void the warranty?

Basically, I'm hoping someone will tell me about the experience of returning a Pre using the Palm warranty, and give me any pointers or suggestions that might help me with that process, in case the problems with my phone keep on getting worse and I have to try to return it.
    I was able to get Sprint to send a new unit to a Sprint store for my exchange, and all I had to do was go back to pick it up, and they did the swap and reload of the profile right there in the store. I was never without a phone.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Hmm. xobx writes: "took a long time to ship here and then for my pre to reach them"

So, do you mean they shipped you a box to send your Pre back in, and then you shipped them your Pre? If that's how it works, maybe I should go ahead and request a shipping box before my phone breaks down completely, just in case I need it?
    they shipped me a refurb and then held a credit of like 400 on my credit card until my broken pre reached them
    Sprint handles warranty claims in-store at repair centers for free up to one year...

Support - Article

Just make sure there's no scratches.
    i chose not to purchase the warranty & My daughter (4 years old) dropped my Pre and the touch screen stopped responding and there was a small arxh like crack in the corner of the screen. I removed all patches, tweaks. and took it in to a Sprint Auth repair service center

Sprint replaced it under the Palm 1 year warranty I had a new pre in hand in about 45 minutes cost me $0.00.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone. Feeling a little better knowing that the manufacturer warranty might not be too difficult to use, if my Pre takes a turn for the worse.
    Palm shipped me a phone before I sent them mine. Brand new. No refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthtoad05 View Post
    Palm shipped me a phone before I sent them mine. Brand new. No refurb.
    but they charge you 30 for activation and a hold of 400 in your credit card until they receive the old one!
    Sprint is offering everybody $7 insurance for this month, in case you don't have it or never got it for the month of March 2010
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    yeah Id say jump on the Sprint March deal since while you may never use the 7 dollar insurance/repair, all it takes is that 1 time. Plus it's a lot easier to swap phones at repair centers when you have it. Even though Pre does have the 1 year warranty it's always good to have the insurance for at least the first 6 months of any phone.
    I'm on my seventh - yes, SEVENTH - Pre. Every time i've taken it in to the Sprint store and they swap it out for a new one. I just got my seventh on Friday and it won't access Sprint Navigation, so it looks like I'll be on number eight this afternoon...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaileer View Post
    I'm on my seventh - yes, SEVENTH - Pre. Every time i've taken it in to the Sprint store and they swap it out for a new one. I just got my seventh on Friday and it won't access Sprint Navigation, so it looks like I'll be on number eight this afternoon...
    I think a lot of people are having that issue with sprint nav it may be the 1.4 update you might want to wait on it a bit before swapping again but then again if there is anything else wrong with it just use the sprint nav as an excuse
    Just a bit of clarification here:

Sprint will replace your Pre for free up to one year from your purchase date for *warranty* issues. That means defects (like bad battery, falling apart, bad reception, etc), not accidental damage (dropping, water damage). The $7 a month insurance extends your warranty coverage for as long as you have the phone (instead of just the first year) and, after a deductible ($50 I think), accidental damage.

The previous poster who said Sprint swapped out his dropped damaged phone for free is an anomaly; I have never heard of such a thing happening before, and I would not expect to hear similar stories from most people.

$7 a month is $168 over the two year contract. You can buy new Pre's on eBay for about $200, and good condition used ones for $150. If you get a lemon, you'll find out in the first year. So, unless you're unusually clumsy (you plan on wrecking at least 2 Pres accidentally in 2 years), you're better off just "self-insuring". Plus, maybe by the time you wreck it, you'll just pony up a bit more for an Elan
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Thanks everyone. Feeling a little better knowing that the manufacturer warranty might not be too difficult to use, if my Pre takes a turn for the worse.
    insurances covers everything I would get it personaly . 100 dollars out of pocket at the spur of the moment is easier then 200 believe me . I have bills to pay and 200 would hurt alot lol . Aanyways the buggyness of your phone is most likely due to the glitch that some people got in the update and palm is working on the fix as we speak so if I were you I would just wait a week or two before you took it back . Well if your phone is in good shape hardware wise, I would wait anyways .... Just sayin !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
    ..........and, after a deductible ($50 I think), accidental damage.
    It is a $100 deductible....
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyshka View Post
    It is a $100 deductible....
    Wow, even worse. So over 2 years, if you replace it once, you're out $268 total. As I said, you can get a decent one off of ebay for way less than that. I guess it depends on how careful you are with phones. I've been using smart phones for about 7 years now, and I've never accidentally damaged one beyond use. Save the money for a decent case and an Invisible Shield and pocket the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaileer View Post
    Seven? I dunno if I believe this. Either you're lying or you're really not the brightest crayon in the box to get the same phone seven times.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast