Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I checked my e-mail this morning and eveything was fine with the Pre. I went to check again after lunch and all my accounts were erased! Any ideas?
    Be careful driving home.
    welcome to webOS 1.4! The fun never ends...

Try adding those accounts in again, I suppose. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    OK, so I had to start over and clean the phone completly off last week to get my e-mail back. Everything was fine. This afternoon I lost my e-mail again. Any ideas?

Stop using this as your email checking Pre?

Sorry. haha

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    i had the same issue yesterday. I opened my email and saw a white screen with the 'new email' icon and thats it. Went into accounts and there was nothing. Tried adding new ones, but it stayed at the 'Signing In' prompt. rebooted, same issue still existed. I doctored the phone back and all was well...until today

same issue as before, so i looked around the forums and some users cleared out the /var/luna/data/attachment and /var/luna/data//email folders via command lines....i tried this, rebooted and my email works again. I'm not sure if clearing out those folders helped, or if the few reboots cleared it up
    A friend of mine who has a Pre also had this happen to him. He had an Exchange account and when going into his email one day...the account was missing... This happened after upgrading to 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by dsarraf View Post
    OK, so I had to start over and clean the phone completly off last week to get my e-mail back. Everything was fine. This afternoon I lost my e-mail again. Any ideas?
    Without cleaning the phone completely, can you just add the accounts back?
    It happened to me once. I rebooted and they were all back.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    For me rebooting does not seem to help. Last time I did a full erase and reinstalled everything, worked for a week. I tried to add the accounts back but mine too stays at the 'Signing In' prompt. How do you cleared out the /var/luna/data/attachment and /var/luna/data//email folders via command lines? I also have never doctored my phone and was thinking that that may work too.
    There are 3 or 4 threads around the forum on this topic, although it appears a very small number of Pre owners have this problem. This problem has driven me crazy ever since the 1.4 update (although that is an admittedly short drive). In my case, I lost my emails immediately upon installing the update. I had about 8 patches and a few homebrew apps. I tried rebooting, removing the patches, removing the homebrew apps, everything, but nothing helped. I finally resorted to the Doctor on my phone, and that finally cleared it up and restored my emails (Exchange and Gmail). I then tried to reinstall my patches and HB apps and immediately lost my emails again. So I doctored again, with success. Then I tried to add on just a couple of patches, an lost the emails again! Tested again with just Preware, and another time with just Package Manager Service, both times losing email. All in all I have doctored five times and it is working fine now. But, call me crazy, I like my patches and Music Remix, and I will try it again.

Another guy with the same problem, wilderf, finally got both patches and email working after 1.4 by doing a full reset (apps and data) from the device info page. Then he restored from his Palm Profile and added his patches back in, all the while keeping email. His theory is that there is some latent file that hung around wreaking havoc until the full reset got rid of it. I guess I will get up the nerve to try his approach this evening. I haven't tried that for three days now, because I just wanted to feel how good it was to have a fully functioning Pre even if it wasn't customized to my satisfaction!

The weird thing about all of this is none of us with this problem seems to have the same patches or HB apps. This thread even sounds like some of you don't have any patches. I'll let you know if this works for me too.
    I also lost my email. All other functions work fine. On the phone for an hour w/Sprint support. Finally came down to a full reset/erase. Do I really have to do that? I've had my Pre about three weeks. What are the "patches" referred to in this thread? I have loaded very few apps so far. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    so the problem returned this morning but i was able to get it back once again without doctoring or using a partial/full erase. here's the commands i used from another post in the forum that cleans out the attachment and email folder...all my old accounts and the emails show up after the reboot

rm -rf /var/luna/data/emails
    rm -rf /var/luna/data/attachments
    reboot
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I have no patches or anything except what I get off the App Catalog. I did a full erase and reset last week and it was all fine, for a week, now it's back. I can't reset every week, it is soooo time consuming.

How do you do the following?

reboot

Should I doctor it?
    No Homebrew, no patches - problem recurs.
    Did a partial reset - problem disappeared then reappeared in a few days.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lswartz33 View Post
    so the problem returned this morning but i was able to get it back once again without doctoring or using a partial/full erase. here's the commands i used from another post in the forum that cleans out the attachment and email folder...all my old accounts and the emails show up after the reboot

reboot
    Where do I type those commands?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    In webos quick install, under 'tools' choose Linux Command line. Then enter each of those commands, one at a time, and after a reboot my email comes back every time...wish i knew why it was happening in the first place though
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I had this exact problem yesterday. Two reboots and a battery pull didn't correct the problem. Chatted online with Palm tech support. They told me to do a full erase, apps and data. Got everything back via the Palm profile. I had a bunch of patches installed a while ago, but never re-installed them since the 1.4 OS update. No exchange accts either.

Phone seems to work ok now, but since the full erase, when I try pointing the browser to gmail (not through the phone's email app) the screen refreshes every second, making it impossible to use. All other browser-based Google products seem to work ok, but not email.
    I had the exact same problem. 1 gmail, 1 yahoo, and 1 Exchange account just disappeared. I ran the commands and email is back. Lets see how long this lasts before I have to run them again.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    add me to the victim list. doctored, accounts gone again next day despite lack of patches, etc. the nexus one is coming to sprint soon, and it's looking mighty tasty in light of problems like not being able to use email on the pre...
    ---
    ---

launch-day pre: the original gangsta.

twitter / posterous