Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    I know that caj recently lost his Pre to the overclocking graveyard and I was thinking about ways we might be able to speed up the Pre/Pixi while saving the hardware from death.

    I could be wrong, but I think part of the issue is that having it at 720/800 for an extended period of time might be too much for the hardware. There might also be issues of remaining at 600 for a while but it seems that some have at least gotten 90 days out of this (correct? Anyone gone longer?). So, assuming 600 is "safe", here's what I propose:

    1. When an app's icon is clicked to start/load it, the device kicks in to 800mhz (since the biggest lag seems to be on app startup)

    2. Once an app is started/loaded, it returns to 600mhz.

    I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be to figure out but I think it might be a starting point. What does everyone else think?
  2. #2  
    I have a ? Does this save the battery or gives the phone better performance? An
  3. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yeah. I was running 720 fine but then took it off for 1.4.

    What I found was that the CPU was handling all the scrolling perfectly. We don't need GPU for the UI as long as a next-gen processor handles the scrolling for a new palm device.

    This idea seems a bit too complicated though. Wouldn't switching up the kernel be a bit too much on the device also?
  4. #4  
    Is it at all possible to get a hold of that 720 mhz patch in any way without being an alpha tester? I have insurance on my phone so I have no issue playing around with it severely overclocked. Also, I'm in Canada and did not yet receive 1.4.
  5. #5  
    if caj were to give us permission to disclose the patch i would be glad to but part of the agreement to become an alpha was to not give it to other people
    Last edited by 063_xobx; 03/02/2010 at 07:16 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    So, assuming 600 is "safe", here's what I propose:

    1. When an app's icon is clicked to start/load it, the device kicks in to 800mhz (since the biggest lag seems to be on app startup)

    2. Once an app is started/loaded, it returns to 600mhz.

    I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be to figure out but I think it might be a starting point. What does everyone else think?
    I like your proposal. My only change would be to kick it in at 720 MHz and then return to 600, maybe even 550.

    But that's just nitpicking.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ferrei View Post
    Is it at all possible to get a hold of that 720 mhz patch in any way without being an alpha tester? I have insurance on my phone so I have no issue playing around with it severely overclocked. Also, I'm in Canada and did not yet receive 1.4.
    look for caj2008 and ask him for a copy if you want . all the testers are under an agreement with him to not give out the patches so..... sorry cant do it !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #8  
    I've installed his 600 patch and have been running it for a couple of days (like it a lot). Perhaps someone could tell me if I am safe leaving this patch on, or if it needs to be removed after a couple months (as mentioned above). I like the speed tweak, but don't want to harm the phone. I did search the threads, but really didn't find any real answer.

    Anyone shed some light on this for me please?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I've installed his 600 patch and have been running it for a couple of days (like it a lot). Perhaps someone could tell me if I am safe leaving this patch on, or if it needs to be removed after a couple months (as mentioned above). I like the speed tweak, but don't want to harm the phone. I did search the threads, but really didn't find any real answer.

    Anyone shed some light on this for me please?
    Nobody is sure the lasting effects of overclocking even to 600 MHz but its probably very low risk since 3D games run at that speed. However overclocking at any speed is guaranteed to reduce the life of your phone...even if its small in comparison

    Although I dont know why I'm replying to a packers fan in the Chicago area
    Mmmmmmmmmm, forbidden donut.....
  10. #10  
    your idea would be great, but i think unixpsycho had stated that using scaling for something like that wouldn't be of much benefit as the jump of the processor might cause lag itself... my memory may be serving me wrong though, i can't remember where he was talking about that. I think somebody had used the 800 kernel with a scaling patch that allowed the phone to scale from 125mhz all the way up to 800.

    What would be nice is gui for the overclocking similar to what android has. Then you would atleast be able to quickly and easily change the cpu speed to suit your needs.

    I just thought i'd add in that i've had my phone at 600 nearly 100% of the time since the beginning of december, not to mention the week of 720 and 800mhz... so far its still running as smooth as can be
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I like your proposal. My only change would be to kick it in at 720 MHz and then return to 600, maybe even 550.

    But that's just nitpicking.
    Well, actually it'd be best if there was a way (on startup?) to let people pick the max and min speeds.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan2003 View Post
    Nobody is sure the lasting effects of overclocking even to 600 MHz but its probably very low risk since 3D games run at that speed. However overclocking at any speed is guaranteed to reduce the life of your phone...even if its small in comparison

    Although I dont know why I'm replying to a packers fan in the Chicago area
    Well, supposedly these are native 600 chipsets, but who really knows. Thanks for the reply (even to a GB Fan). Go Cubs... I mean Sox!!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan2003 View Post
    Nobody is sure the lasting effects of overclocking even to 600 MHz but its probably very low risk since 3D games run at that speed. However overclocking at any speed is guaranteed to reduce the life of your phone...even if its small in comparison

    Although I dont know why I'm replying to a packers fan in the Chicago area

    Ok, people should stop using the term "overclocking" when they talk about 600 mHz speed, this is upclocking. Overclocking is when you upclock your processor to a speed it was not designed to run at, the Pre's processor is designed to run at 600 mHz.
  14. #14  
    yeh i know he chose to stop the 720/800 development because he fried his phone (even tho he's no where near 100% certainty that overclocking or upclocking did it)if other people want to volunteerly risk their phone life then why not continue the patch development? Like i dont know why he would feel responsbile if he's already telling people that their phone might die and his did die. If people choose to ignore this then so be it i say...........
  15. #15  
    Thanks for all the responses. Ill give caj a private message to see if he is still willing to accept another alpha tester.

    Also, ive been running the SmartReflex 600mhz patch since its been released, and am now running the LunaSysMgr patch since it was released with no issue. But like I said, I dont mind if my Pre dies since I am paying 4 bucks a month for insurance. Decided to get it due to the Oreo twist reports.
  16. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #16  
    Does the smartreflex 600 work with 1.4?
    I thought it wasn't safe to add that patch unless it was made specifically for the update.
  17. #17  
    800Mhz indeed does work on GSM Pre's running webOS 1.4.0. I should know, posted a video of it running.

    However i wouldn't recommend it, not optimized for the 1.4 kernel -.-
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    800Mhz indeed does work on GSM Pre's running webOS 1.4.0. I should know, posted a video of it running.

    However i wouldn't recommend it, not optimized for the 1.4 kernel -.-
    Sure, but even if it were 500 usually and then 600 on app startup, that would speed a lot up and save the hardware.

    Also, it's possible that the processor has no problem being overclocked but the issues are from other hardware. See this article for some more info:

    AMD Sempron 3100+ Overclocking (page 3) - X-bit labs

    ...The only way of overclocking the Sempron 3100+ is increasing the frequency of the clock generator above the standard 200 megahertz (some mainboard manufacturers still call it FSB frequency in the BIOS Setup). But in the majority of Socket 754 systems this very clock generator also forms other frequencies like those of the HyperTransport, AGP and PCI buses, and overclocking the Sempron 3100+ may lead to instability of the peripheral devices and chipset. For example, to overclock a Sempron 3100+ from 1.8GHz to 2.4GHz, you have to increase the clock generator frequency to 266MHz. In this case, the AGP frequency grows from 66MHz to 89MHz, and none of modern graphics cards would be operational at so high a clock rate. So, overclocking of Athlon 64 CPUs, and also of the Sempron 3100+, cant be performed fully due to some problems with peripheral buses rather than to any limitations of the CPU itself....
  19. #19  
    Now being a tweaker myself I understand the premise, but I just dont see the need on the pre. My apps open just fine and operate well so Im wondering why risk bricking your phone? Granted Id love to have 800MHz for Hero of sparta (even though it works perfectly fine at standard clocks).
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Nvm.
    put a kernel jacked up to 800 mhz and you'll soon find out lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions