Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    In the middle of all the 1.4 update madness I didn't see anyone comment on the recent Robert Scoble posting "Palm’s small-screen bet doomed the Pre" on his uber popular Scobleizer blog. I may be the lone pro-pre poster there in the comments in a sea of iPhone, BB and Droid users.

Here is the link:
    Palm’s small-screen bet doomed the Pre

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the forums, but I did a search for it and there are far too many upgrade related posts to weed through :-)

Mike
    Nice article with a few good points. However it, everyone has their own taste and preferences. Could you imagine the webos on a larger screen though...sweet
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Ok article, screen size did play a part but that was not a major flaw with the device. Palm will have to cater to consumers that prefer larger screens, we know webos can handle it
    Quote Originally Posted by mgiven View Post
    In the middle of all the 1.4 update madness I didn't see anyone comment on the recent Robert Scoble posting "Palm’s small-screen bet doomed the Pre" on his uber popular Scobleizer blog. I may be the lone pro-pre poster there in the comments in a sea of iPhone, BB and Droid users.

Here is the link:
    Palm’s small-screen bet doomed the Pre

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the forums, but I did a search for it and there are far too many upgrade related posts to weed through :-)

Mike
    I personally like the form factor of the Pre. I've held Iphones and Droids and think they are too rigid and brick feeling. Pre is the perfect size and shape. yeah it would be nice to have a little bigger screen, but that's why I have a desktop computer at home.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    I personally like the form factor of the Pre. I've held Iphones and Droids and think they are too rigid and brick feeling. Pre is the perfect size and shape. yeah it would be nice to have a little bigger screen, but that's why I have a desktop computer at home.
    I personally DO NOT like the size of the device, honestly the iPhone/iPod Touch has a perfect screen size IMO. For me this will eliminate the need to always pinch zoom/double tap. There are plenty others that share my sentiments, so your best response to people like me is go to your desktop/laptop?
    For Palm the Pre was like starting a new business and anyone who has started a business knows the 1st year is about getting the kinks out before you make any money. I expected this when I bought the Pre and, sure enough, it looks like it'll be about a year from release before the device really shines.

Hopefully Palm expected this as well and is in position to weather the storm. If Palm failed or fails in the future it's because they didn't plan ahead adequately.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I'd have to say this is a major reason as to why the Pre hasn't sold as well. All of my friends including my boss up here say that the Pre's screen is too small.

I would buy a webOS device with an iphone sized screen in a heartbeat at any cost and I'm sure alot of other people would too.

I think Palm has learned alot from the Pre/Pixi and that their next (and hopefully not last) device will be amazing and of very high quality.
    I love the form factor. One of the biggest selling points for me. I owned a motorola q and then the centro because I wanted the options of a smartphone but the size of a dumb phone. These where the probably the smallest smartphones that where on the market when I purchased them. I have family members who own iphones and they just seem to big to me and very boring in design. I don't like the idea of holding a slab to my head. I also want a physical keyboard. So Palm hit it out of the ball park with the design of the pre for me. I think they could have used better material for the casing and the screen but otherwise I have no complaints. Its a personal preference. So I hope Palm decides to make a bigger phone for all of you who want that.
    Eh, I've had both and I like the Pre just fine. The difference is hardly noticeable for me, except for liking how the Pre fit in my hand more. Palm's problem isn't the screen, it's the same name recognition and status Palm holds compared to BB (which have the smallest, ****tiest screens ever), Apple, and Google. If Palm did, people wouldn't complain about the screen, but since it doesn't, it's one of the things people use to complain about a phone they wouldn't want to use if it came with a larger screen anyway.

Agree about making a better screen and casing, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    I personally DO NOT like the size of the device, honestly the iPhone/iPod Touch has a perfect screen size IMO. For me this will eliminate the need to always pinch zoom/double tap. There are plenty others that share my sentiments, so your best response to people like me is go to your desktop/laptop?
    You need to calm down a bit...jeez. He said that he PERSONALLY prefers the current Pre. PERSONALLY...say it with me now...PERSONALLY.

That usually means that it's his PREFERENCE! Not that it's "OMG THE BEST WAY TO DO IT!!". Just that he likes it the way it is.

And yes, you're completely right about not needing to pinch/zoom if we had a screen the size of the ipod! Cause, you know, the iPod doesn't have pinch/zoom AMIRITE?!
    The size of the Pre is EXACTLY why I purchased it instead of a Touch Pro 2. I don't want to carry around a freaking brick in my pocket (is that an HTC in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?).
    How many people would by a 40 inch tv for the same price as a 52 inch?
    How much greater is the enjoyment of a larger screen?
    A lot.
    Wow factor sells.
    I wanted one but didnt want to pay more.
    Palm needs a fast 4 inch screen (perhaps with landscape keyboard.)
    Sell it cheap and make $ on selling Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by octoberorange View Post
    The size of the Pre is EXACTLY why I purchased it instead of a Touch Pro 2. I don't want to carry around a freaking brick in my pocket (is that an HTC in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?).
    Scoble makes a valid argument. Obviously both a smaller and larger screen will have its fans, but I think that the Pixi was Palm's chance to appease both sides rather than going even smaller.

This is my own opinion, but as much as people claim the Palm Pre "fits better" in their pockets, I've owned numerous WinMo devices and an iPhone and none of them were awkward or too bulky when in a pocket. And in your hands then even the smallest increase in screen size made the devices much more pleasant in usability.

I'm not slamming on the people who say they want a small phone. But I do agree with the theory that all these people claiming "they want a phone" are lying because for almost all us then the reason we buy a smartphone is for everything it does OUTSIDE of phonecalls. So shrinking the screen just takes away from the overall experience.

I strongly dislike the screen size and feel that WebOS would run (and sell) better if it were given a bigger playing field to show off what it can do.
    The size is why i bought a Pre.

I don't like these giant brick sized devices.
    I think Palm's next device should have a larger screen but I like the Pre screen size and form factor. Also I once check out same web site on Pre and itouch and the Pre showed more text as compared to the itouch. Not saying it would be like that for all sites, but its not as bad as people say.
    The Pre's screen seems quite a bit bigger than the BlackBerry... why are they so popular?

I personally wouldn't mind a slightly bigger screen; but coming from a Treo 755p, the Pre seems to have a pretty good screen.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yeah, the smaller form factor is what sold me on the PRE, fits in my hand nicely and other than weight I hardly know it's in my pocket(i have to touch it to make sure it's still there). I hope you all get your bigger webOS device(those that want it). For me I hope palm just improves durability and next gen hardware, so I can still have that super powered phone (THE PRE) lurking in my pocket, undetected.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    How many people would by a 40 inch tv for the same price as a 52 inch?
    How much greater is the enjoyment of a larger screen?
    A lot.
    Wow factor sells.
    Thats not a fair comparison. A TV has one function to be looked at and it is not made to be portable so it can be as big as you want because you don't have to carry it around. With a phone/smartphone the design has to think of both a size that is enjoyable to view and a size that is comfortable to be carried around.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Thats not a fair comparison. A TV has one function to be looked at and it is not made to be portable so it can be as big as you want because you don't have to carry it around. With a phone/smartphone the design has to think of both a size that is enjoyable to view and a size that is comfortable to be carried around.
    Additionally, consider that a 50 inch TV would be too *big* for my house (as would probably a 42-incher); my viewing space is too small for comfortable big-screen use. Similarly, the Droid looks too big for comfortable carriage on my belt, my primary way to tote my smartphone. The Pre is just right as far as that goes, and even with my 43-year-old eyes, the screen is quite bright and sharp and usable. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast