Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    You need to calm down a bit...jeez. He said that he PERSONALLY prefers the current Pre. PERSONALLY...say it with me now...PERSONALLY.

That usually means that it's his PREFERENCE! Not that it's "OMG THE BEST WAY TO DO IT!!". Just that he likes it the way it is.

And yes, you're completely right about not needing to pinch/zoom if we had a screen the size of the ipod! Cause, you know, the iPod doesn't have pinch/zoom AMIRITE?!
    Hello "Voltron" thanks for speaking on his behalf! He and I already established the difference in PERSONAL PREFERENCE w/o you coming to defend the earth. I only targeted his side comment on the alternative is to use a desktop/laptop. And yes I know the iPod Touch has pinch zoom, if you used hooked on phonics better you'd noticed I said "alway" need to use pinch zoom/double tap on the Pre.
    I am really a fan of the size and form factor of this phone. That is one of it's strengths to me. I am one of those ppl that put the thing in my pocket.. and when I have done that with the Droid/iPhone it just doesn't fit as well.

I think there is a place in the market for a larger screen-ed WebOs Device but I think it should be a hand held PC with about a 4"X2.5" screen as a tablet replacement .. but we are 2-5 years away from that one
    Im curious how many of the people who prefer the smaller form factor ever carried around these "brick" phones. If you're coming from a small clamshell and the Pre is your first smartphone I could see how Droids, Blackberries or iPhones are viewed as "Bricks". But, and this is no scientific study, for me then nobody I know who uses a modern 3.5" smartphone complains or notices it being bulky because the screen/size tradeoff makes sense.

I'm not trying to convince someone to change their view, but I believe that if any of us were given a Palm Pre with a 3.5" screen then we wouldnt be complaining "its too big for my pocket".
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyButler View Post
    Im curious how many of the people who claim they "prefer" the smaller form factor have actually carried around these "brick" phones.

People here are calling things like Droids, Blackberries or iPhones "Bricks". In no way is this a scientific study, but for me then everyone I know who uses a non-Pre smartphone don't complain or notice it being bulky because the screen/size tradeoff makes sense.

I'm not trying to convince someone to change their view, but I believe that if any of us were given a Palm Pre with a 3.5" screen then we wouldnt be complaining "its too big for my pocket".
    Don't pay them attention, some of these people are the sames ones that got upset with me when I criticized palm for not having Video recording out of the box. Saying things like I don't use my phone for video recorder, now these are the same ones posting on the first vids thread.
    I bought my pre because I was already switching carriers to sprint thanks to a company discount and wanted a smartphone. The pre looked like the best option at the time on the carrier. The screen size quickly became my only annoyance with the phone. I enjoy the small form factor the pre maintains, but I absolutely -know- that I'll be switching for a bigger screen next time my contract is up.

The reason is simple: My phone has effectively replaced my laptop and the pre's screen is just a bit too small for the amount of responsibility I'm putting on it. I'll squint and pinch my way through it for now, but the future is calling and it says small screen smartphones are dead.

One thing I want to mention here though, the browser Mega Mix patch by mamouton makes me -much- happier with my web experience on the pre. If you guys haven't tried it I HIGHLY recommend it. Among it's many features is a full-screen browser that gives you considerably more visual real-estate to look at. In my opinion that patch should be standard issue for everyone.
    Right.
    The history of Palm is big clunky Treos .
    Heavier than the Iphone.
    Palm has the market cornered on people who prefer small touchscreen smartphones.
    Iphone has the market cornered for people who prefer large screens.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyButler View Post
    Im curious how many of the people who prefer the smaller form factor ever carried around these "brick" phones. If you're coming from a small clamshell and the Pre is your first smartphone I could see how Droids, Blackberries or iPhones are viewed as "Bricks". But, and this is no scientific study, for me then nobody I know who uses a modern 3.5" smartphone complains or notices it being bulky because the screen/size tradeoff makes sense.

I had 3 HTC WinMo bricks (8125, 8525, 8925/Tilt) before going with the Pre. The funny thing is that the screen size was more of an issue to me with the HTCs than now with the Pre. When I first saw the iPhone, it really bugged me that the Tilt had such a small screen (which was bigger than the Pre). But now I find that the Pre gives the perfect combination of fit, form and functionality, and now I can't imagine carrying around something as big as an iPhone. I guess that's also why I drive a Mini instead of a Suburban.
    I may not have carried a brick-phone in my pocket, but I HAVE had to carry a wallet, keys, and a phone in one pocket before, and there just ain't any more room to fit a bigger phone, space is limited enough as it is BA DUM BUM

I mean.. uh...
    Last edited by octoberorange; 03/02/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    you guys wanna stare at somethin huge, look in my pants.
    <<<< WebOS Represent >>>>
    I don't want a slab phone. The Pre size is great! That dictates the screen size and that's fine with me.
    To each his own, but I love the form factor of the Pre. Literally everything from the vertical keyboard to the "small" screen size. I carry my phone in my pocket and it's size / form factor was the most important selling point for me. If someone could magically make the Pre (existing shape and form) a tad bit bigger, would I go for it? Maybe, as long as it fits comfortably in one hand for typing and navigating the UI. The iPhone and Droid just can't compare in that regard.
    I moved from a blackberry curve to a pre so the screen size was bigger for me...
    I love the Pre but if they came out with a bigger screen size I would buy it. I am not an enterprise user, I dont need a perfect keyboard for banging out tons of emails, but I dont have a laptop and would like a larger screen for surfing the web.

And for looking big and sexy...

C40...maybe?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12