Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Personally I am sick of the isssues with 1.4. The camera feature is awesome and I was looking forward to having it, but the side effect bugs are not worth it. I have redoctored my pre back to 1.3.5.1 until the next update comes out to fix the issues. The following is a list of my problems:

1. The battery usage is horrible. It seemed like the battery size was cut in half.
    2. I didn't like how when playing m:mafia and m:racing with mute on, the audio would still play. This is not good when playing in my cubicle with my boss right behind me.
    3. I also had random screen blackouts where I would keep hitting the power button to get it to come on. After about 10 presses it would come on for a second and shut off.
    4. I had a wide range of theme bugs. I was using a new theme that was modified for the 1.4.0 update but backgrounds were changing on me and things where very inconsistant.
    5. This is my least favorite and the reason that I doctored my phone. I use the yellow pages in the Where application to find business phone numbers. I looked up a phone number for a local store and when I clicked the link for the phone number it takes you to the dialing app with the number appearing at the top. So far so good, but when I hit the call button, that is not the number it dials and I was talking to a random resisdence.

I like the video recording feature but bummer that the bugs are a high price to pay.
    Battery life is typically poor right after an update. In my experience it gets better after a few charge/discharge cycles. Updating the PRL and Network settings can help as well.

I noticed that startup sound have come back with those games. The mute switch doesn't stop all sounds. If you play a PDK game, or play a video sounds still works. I just turn the system volume down.

I've seen this effect before 1.4. It's some sort of delayed response, and by hitting the power button multiple times, it just makes the screen turn right back off.

Themes are homebrew, some will work with a new update and some won't. Work with the theme creator to fix the problems you're seeing.

No idea about your Yellowpages issue as I don't use that functionality.

Edit: I just tested the yellowpage functionality and it works fine on my phone.
    Last edited by DeathsArrow; 03/02/2010 at 11:58 AM.
    - I don't what your Pre's been smoking, but my battery life has been excellent, in 2 and a half hours of light usage my battery dropped from 100% to 96%, just to give you an idea, i've seen a phenomenal improvement, and i highly suggest you take a trip to the doctor, 1.4.0.

- Haven't personally played with the apps, so cant comment. All i can say is no one else has complained about the issue yet. But if its an issue, then Palm needs to fix it.

-Again i had these issues, if you have package manager service/preware, uninstall and it should work, if not, again, Doctor, thats what its there for.

- How the heck can you blame a homebrew theme on 1.4.0 o_O. You install at your own risk and Palm is not obliged to make sure homebrew themes work with official updates. Period

- Have you thought of the possiblity the yellow pages number was wrong and needs to be updates? I highly doubt a webOS update attributed to you phoning a random resident.

Bug shmug. Doctor to 1.4.0 and come back, in the meanwhile, have a nice day
    I have to say my battery life has been allot better with webos 1.4.0. While I do agree that webos 1.4.0 has bugs the battery life is NOT one of them.
    My phone has been randomly resetting since 1.4 but it could be the preware timeout issue
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy521 View Post
    Personally I am sick of the isssues with 1.4. The camera feature is awesome and I was looking forward to having it, but the side effect bugs are not worth it. I have redoctored my pre back to 1.3.5.1 until the next update comes out to fix the issues. The following is a list of my problems:

5. This is my least favorite and the reason that I doctored my phone. I use the yellow pages in the Where application to find business phone numbers. I looked up a phone number for a local store and when I clicked the link for the phone number it takes you to the dialing app with the number appearing at the top. So far so good, but when I hit the call button, that is not the number it dials and I was talking to a random resisdence.

I like the video recording feature but bummer that the bugs are a high price to pay.
    Just to help you troubleshoot (if you have not dont this already), try looking up your work in the Yellowpages app. Call the number as you would any other lookup. That will eliminate the probablility the phone app has anything to do with the wrong phone number being dialed (if you do get your work number). Or you can try to look up the same business that you did before but by using Google Maps or Google search or Sprint Navigation. If any of these other searches provides a working number, then the blame is on the Yellowpages app. If it provides the same error, then it probably a wrong number listed for that business or your idea of the dialer mis-dialing could be the culprit.

I hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    So the volume bug with the m:mafia game was not present in 1.3.5.1? Where the mute switch is on, but the game's audio still plays?

I've often wondered about that, because I leave my mute switch on nearly all the time, since I'm more often somewhere I don't want the ringer on. However, I don't have to switch mute off to play music, but I do if I want my Zombies came to play sound. The Mormon Radio station also plays audio while the switch is off.

Does anybody have light to shed on the rules on the mute switch, and application audio?
  8.    #8  
    When I used the yellow pages yesterday, I was calling CVS. The number was right on the screen but the number it called was not the number on the screen.

Is there some sort of advantage to doctoring my phone back to 1.4 vs. just hitting the update button?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihmeyer View Post
    Does anybody have light to shed on the rules on the mute switch, and application audio?
    The mute switch only effects ring tones, notifications and system sounds. It doesn't mute application audio.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    The mute switch only effects ring tones, notifications and system sounds. It doesn't mute application audio.
    In 1.3.5.1 it does mute the annoying loading music of m:mafia and m:racing.
    Sorry you've been having problems . I'd have to agree with some of the others here and suggest a trip to the Doctor for 1.4. I've yet to not have a little wonkiness after an update, and I've yet had doctoring fail to correct it.

It doesn't seem like it'll fix all your problems, but I'll bet it'll fix a few. Just a thought. Good luck!

Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Is there some sort of advantage to doctoring my phone back to 1.4 vs. just hitting the update button?
    Doctoring is a clean install versus an upgrade. So it may help with some of the bugginess you encountered.
    There is a patch which mutes everything if you have your phone on silent. There are way to many pros to 1.4 than cons. My battery is also way better now than before. I have used my phone for an hour and a half today and I am still at 98%.
    When I used the yellow pages yesterday, I was calling CVS. The number was right on the screen but the number it called was not the number on the screen.

I just used Where (YP.com portion) to look up my work and the number is listed wrong. Did you verify by using another service (Google) to see if YP.com is pulling the correct number?

I did another search for CVS in my area, and GoogleMaps and the YP.com app sycned up, although Google has an additional number listed.

I thought that was always the case...the mute switch only muted system sounds, not application sounds. There was a patch that did just that...kill all sounds when the mute switch was activated.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks a lot guys for all your info. You have inspired my to try 1.4 again. I will try the doctor install this time. Instead of using yellow pages to search for businesses, I like google maps now. Thanks again.
    sorry to hear your problems with the new OS update that sucks. Wondering will the patches , themes ,etc still work with this down grade now that everything is being switched too 1.4 ?
    I'm sure a lot of people were complaining their speakers weren't working when they listened to their radio not realizing their mute button was still clicked, so they probably allowed apps with music in them assuming the majority would want sound on their music and game apps. I bet they also figured people would be smart enough to use the volume button. It's just as easy to toggle as the mute switch.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Hey Krispy, if you are having severe enough problems you could follow the fixing a bricked pre method. Here you doctor back to 1.2.1 (oldest full clean install) then full erase then doctor straight up to 1.4.0. I did this Sunday and it fixed a whole host of problems, stray patch crap, etc.

With a fresh doctor installed 1.4.0 I have been very very happy. I can't comment on battery life because it's been in my hands too much but battery doesn't seem any worse.

Good luck.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Hey Krispy, if you are having severe enough problems you could follow the fixing a bricked pre method. Here you doctor back to 1.2.1 (oldest full clean install) then full erase then doctor straight up to 1.4.0. I did this Sunday and it fixed a whole host of problems, stray patch crap, etc.

With a fresh doctor installed 1.4.0 I have been very very happy. I can't comment on battery life because it's been in my hands too much but battery doesn't seem any worse.

Good luck.
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thank you, Downloading 1.2.1 now.
    Last edited by krispy521; 03/02/2010 at 12:30 PM.
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thank you, Downloading 1.2.1 now.
    Yeah , give it a shot. 1.4 is the best update so far. Really huge improvment in many places. (I doctored it too, but it's not caused by PALM, it's more a thing of Patching, Theming and Installing inoffical stuff ).

After the update, give it some time for settling in (i think some Background tasks running for a while, to sort things)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast