1.    #1  
    sometimes my friends want to use my camara because they like the pics that it takes but I don't want them to see other pics can I block certain ones ?
    No =|
  3.    #3  
    that sucks nothing on homebrw?
    try photosafe. Found it in preware. Works pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    try photosafe. Found it in preware. Works pretty well.
    im not able to find this application you speak of. Where is it? what is the exact name?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    lol..yea I need something to block certain pics and videos cuz WOW the things I got on this...
    Once Terminal is back compatible with WebOS 1.4, you can hide pictures manually (from view on the phone).

Any directory starting with a period is considered a "hidden" directory. This isn't enforced, but is followed by convention.

If you create a /media/internal/.hideMe directory, it should be ignored by the Photo and Video indexing.

Then just move files into there. To show them, unhide the directory by changing its name. In /media/internal

mv .hideMe hideMe

(Move .hideMe to hideMe)

To hide, mv hideMe .hideMe

All theoretical, but it should work.

Also, these are still visible via USB drive access.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 03/02/2010 at 08:40 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Photosafe works very well!!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    where is photosafe?
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Once Terminal is back compatible with WebOS 1.4, you can hide pictures manually (from view on the phone).

Any directory starting with a period is considered a "hidden" directory. This isn't enforced, but is followed by convention...
    This method works using Internalz too if your not fond of the Terminal. Any directory that starts with a period will be ingnored by the photos app, video app, etc...
    Problem with Photosafe, from what I have read, is that once the pictures are encrypted, they can't be decrypted and sent or removed in any fashion other than deleting them. You can't email them, MMS them, or anything like that. I am assuming that would change in a future update, but not at this point. Though I may want to be able to hide photos at some point, I would likely also want to de-hide them at some point too. I would think that would be a basic feature that I am surprised is not part of Photosafe. Just FYI.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Problem with Photosafe, from what I have read, is that once the pictures are encrypted, they can't be decrypted and sent or removed in any fashion other than deleting them. You can't email them, MMS them, or anything like that. I am assuming that would change in a future update, but not at this point. Though I may want to be able to hide photos at some point, I would likely also want to de-hide them at some point too. I would think that would be a basic feature that I am surprised is not part of Photosafe. Just FYI.
    All you have to do at that point is a screen capture and voila! you can do with it what you want.

Have fun with all them nudies!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDriver View Post
    All you have to do at that point is a screen capture and voila! you can do with it what you want.
    What if the photo was at higher than screen resolution? This is an issue with the SDK not allow us local write capability (text or binary access.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    why not just a password protected folder.. as a patch/program

because i do have this one girl (i'm single) that sends me some very random pics every now and then... but last thing i need is my little cousin looking through my pics and screaming!!! <yes it's already happened lol
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Exactly, I just downloaded it and you have to one at a time choose a picture top put into a file that you have created with photosafe, than it starts the encryption process, and it takes a long time. Way to much protection for me. If you have a lot of photos that you want to place into this program, be prepared to give up a very very long bit of your life.

I have seen this asked a lot in many threads and requests to be able to password protect individual apps ever since I have been coming to precentral. Most of the time you get responses like "why do you need that you can just lock your phone" and "why would you need to lock pictures or videos or notes from people - you got something to hide"

First, I hate to have to enter a pin each and every time I want to use my phone, or have to remember to lock it up if I set it down at work or just a bit careless with were I leave it.

Second, I actually have a family and children, and I have a very active life with my wife, I do not think my children by accident need to be a part of this.

Third, I send confidential material at work, that only certain people are met to see, and at work as many of the people here know, some co-workers are just curious and would have no prob checking out your email or notes to see what you are up to.

I do not think locking up apps, (by this I mean,not encrypting them, not having to hide in internalz or some other jump through a loop method) is possible. There have been just to many requests for this that I have seen here on precentral, and apparently Palm does not think it is important enough for the user experience to allow a simple locking ability for Email, Photos, Videos, Tasks, Calendar, Memos or other 3rd party apps. Because, apparently, in a business setting, there is no need for any security but a stupid (hit a pin number each and every time you have to use your phone) at all.

And Palm wonders why they can't sell phones?

God I love my pre, but this type of total callousness towards a really basic need for private and business use is just incredible.

So, keep asking, for this type of function, and expect to get nowhere, because again I reiterate - you should have nothing private on this phone, and if you do, you can loose basic ease of use functionality and type a stupid pin on your cell phone every time you want to use it - even for a simply call - amazing.

Please, don't tell me how small palm is and how much they have done - I get it, but their is no way you can tell me that adding some password protection on certain Palm Apps, is going to completely eat up all of Palm's resources and will cause them total bankruptcy. They should do some of the easy stuff too, just to get it out of the way and be able to say we have that too on our device.

BTW, I am not a programmer, and I do not expect to have to program my own programs for a cell I have, and I really do not think that 99% of the people expect to have to do that, with simple functionality

Sorry, I had to vent, I love this phone so much and really think it is amazing that something like password protect individual apps, is not possible and Palm living in La La land just doesn't get it. Just drives me crazy.

In conclusion, Palm your WEBOS it so much better than anything out there, so just do some little things too and I really believe it will help you just as much as the big things, like video recording.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Sorry, but just one more thing on my rant. Palm try outsourcing. The developers here are truly amazing, let them help. Pay them to develop some of these little things that would make the Pre more complete. Not everything has to be done internally. Look at people like Jason, and have him do a few things for you. I bet it would be a lot cheaper than doing each and every upgrade internally. Palm you can still test and troubleshoot internally, but take advantage of the talent both internally and externally. Outsource, Outsource, Outsource