View Poll Results: Should Palm Release webOS 1.5 or Hunker Down for 2.0?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should release more iterations. 1.5 ASAP!

111 63.07%
  • They should focus on one release for an extended period. 2.0 must be pure gold!!

65 36.93%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If Palm follows their current release pattern, 1.5 will be out end of April/beginning of May.

But that is so close to a speculated major release of webOS, expected to be revealed generally alongside Palm's next-gen hardware.

Assuming these speculations are anywhere near accurate, should Palm be devoting valuable resources to pushing out another incremental release, when they could be making the next-gen webOS as solid as possible?

I personally feel that they should set aside a small team to release 1.4.1, fixing any bugs 1.4 introduced, and focus all efforts on June/July for a truly nuclear 2.0.

What say you, PCers?
    I think they should send 1.4 to Canada 1st, then we'll worry about 1.5.
    I think 2.0 will most likely be a new phone though.
    I think 2.0 will be a new phone as well. Hopefully they make it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Neither. they should release updates to apps one at a time so it's easier to bug fix.
    If Palm waits until 2.0, there won't be a Palm anymore.

I'm pretty sure the strategy is to keep updating, and hopefully improving the phone as much as possible.
    I think palm is too amazing at keeping secrets for this convo to even take place. We won't know anything until they want us to. Lol

I do think webos will continue to evolve on schedule..... Just not let us know lol but I also think we will see @ least 2 new devices by the end of the year.

they have the os, everyone admits that. I think the reason why they have been ''burning through cash'' is because they are actually using the resources to the full potential..... Maybe I'm just on their hook lol
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I dont see how these options are mutually exclusive, really.
    June is just one month after may... I think palm might release in 1.5... Who says they have to go to 2.0... Heres what i think palm needs to do by june(besides new hardware):

1. msn/facebook chat
    2. voice recognition/commands
    3. proper spellcheck (looks at iphone, word07,firefox, chrome.... Is it really that hard???
    4. more customizations like the led they just got..
    5. make one settings icon. I mean, with the back gesture, why not have one app, with multiple pages...
    6.Make one app for video, pictures, and audio (which is hopefully coming)
    7. one app for camera, and camcorder.. Have a little icon you hit in the app, or something like that.
    8. Have the abillity to download flash apps (websites would need to support it, but still)... That would quickly get alot of apps, that don't need internet..
    9. Needed business features.. (don't know what it needs, but i've heard it's missing stuff..)

Theres other things, but this is a needed, possible , but perhaps extremely hard list of stuff they need to pull-off by the time June comes around(possibly excluding "#9")... I know alot of people are going to be asking for speed improvements, but 1ghz+ mobile cpu's should take care of that... (especially the dual core ones.. but those prob won't make it in time for the pre2)...
    sprint higher department told me that 2.0 will have something big in the store manly that told me that it will change the app store in a way that u can use every app on webos. what would be huge then pre is the phone with the freaking most apps. and also sprint confirmed a pre 2 coming sommer time and the hero 2 as well. i got this from the higher department because i needed to get a new pre or totally different phone and the highger department took care of it.
    I expect PALM to release an update before May regarding 1.4s obvious issues

1) Mad shutter delay on Camera
    2) "Tap Youtube link to send" doesnt
    work
    3) Editing an edited video sometimes causes video recording app to crash and videos sometimes disappear
    and pre 2 is coming with 4g
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    sprint higher department told me that 2.0 will have something big in the store manly that told me that it will change the app store in a way that u can use every app on webos. what would be huge then pre is the phone with the freaking most apps. and also sprint confirmed a pre 2 coming sommer time and the hero 2 as well. i got this from the higher department because i needed to get a new pre or totally different phone and the highger department took care of it.
    That would be nice
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    It took Palm about 5ish months to get to 1.4 from 1.3. So 1.5 in 3 months would probably be the end of May which seems impossible.Assuming it takes as long as 1.3 to 1.4, I'd project July 31st or end of 1st half of this year before we see 1.5. I'm pretty sure there will be no surprises sadly.
    Last edited by zealster; 03/02/2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: my post didn't make sense
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    They would probably release an update for the Pre 1 as well as the "2.0" update for the Pre 2. Not everyone will rush out and buy a pre 2 (especially if they still have another year to go on contract (I'm good, Premier Member.)) Some of the updates would probably work for Pre 1 but others would only work for Pre 2 so you have to have both releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I think palm is too amazing at keeping secrets for this convo to even take place.
    Quoted for extreme truthiness.
    1.4.2 in early April to fix 1.4's quirks.
    1.5 at Summer's new-hardware reveal.
    2.0 launched with new hardware.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    1.4.2 in early April to fix 1.4's quirks.
    +1

Side note: Do they even test these updates? I know we all like to get new ones, but, at this point I would settle for less frequent updates. That is provided the updates we do get are significantly less buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    I think this is slightly on par, though if it's saying any app as in all apps from other os's, I doubt that but think he may be referring to the PDK which will give capabiity to port most any app. think of this, by the summer we will have access for devs to use html5, css, jsjsjs, $c$, $c$++ $AND$ $flash$ $with$ $gpu$ $support$ $for$ $extensive$ $graphics$. $that$'$s$ $definitely$ $alot$ $of$ $potential$ $for$ $apps$ $am$ $I$ $right$?
  20. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    +1

Side note: Do they even test these updates? I know we all like to get new ones, but, at this point I would settle for less frequent updates. That is provided the updates we do get are significantly less buggy.
    I can assure you they are tested extensively both inside and out of Palm
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast