View Poll Results: Should Palm Release webOS 1.5 or Hunker Down for 2.0?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should release more iterations. 1.5 ASAP!

111 63.07%
  • They should focus on one release for an extended period. 2.0 must be pure gold!!

65 36.93%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Some of you guys....

Man, 2.0 is just a number. So is 1.3.8 and 1.4.2 and 0.0.987 and it wouldn't make a difference if they jumped straight to 3.0 because it was "SOOO much more awesomer".

All that matters is how it works. Gimme features when you get them working properly... and make it pronto. I'll take version "z" on the Pre2 if it sounds cooler. They can just go backwards in the alphabet. Way cool.

My feeling is that I'd love working features to be dropped on me at any moment. I might wait a few days before upgrading and let the homebrew scene get settled first... but I'm sure there are a million other people wanting to test it out before me. But the quicker things roll... the quicker everything else gets working. That's why they call 'em rolling release schedules.

Palm was more or less forced into the frequent OTA updates, but I don't mind it one bit. It was actually the reason I chose to purchase the Pre. Most people would rather have 1.5 on Android until June. We'll have version z.
    As long as I get it first, whatever...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Given that each segments of updates, v1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 all seem like almost total rewrites that have new bugs but also improvements and added features. We will most likely see two more updates before v1.5 gets here, my guess 6 weeks or less for the last 1.4.?, next gen hardware probably will start at v2.0.

I myself expect omap4 cause summer doesn't end till late september, plenty of time to get gen#2 pre and/or next webOS device running.(you didn't expect the start of summer right)lol
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I agree grndslm.
    Whatever the version number - or letter, that's completely irrelevant.
    Whenever there is a fix for a major issue devised, the update should be sent out asap, no matter if that update would come only days after the previous one.
    A major issue = large number of people complaining about it.

I can live with quite many issues, but App Catalog missing completely begins to bug me ever more by the minute.
    Not an issue? Yes, I know, some call it policy. Tell me, how does this policy benefit the sales of webOS devices?
    Which one is more important; making the phone to appeal the carriers to promote it or, making the phone to appeal potential buyers to actually buy it, wheredamnever they live?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I can assure you they are tested extensively both inside and out of Palm
    So you are then saying that these bugs are either known about, intended, or both. The fact that this update broke the bluetooth connectivity w/BMW, which was working just fine before, is an example of a problem this update has caused.

I was being facitious with the question of being tested. Obviously they would test it, but, it's very buggy. And to be honest my problems aren't as bad as others have posted. Other than having my wife complain about losing pics w/o warning. Which is pretty unacceptable. Was that new "feature" known about?
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    It would entirely depend on their ability to get a 2.0 update done in 4 months. I would expect a 2.0 update to have significant improvements and new features, as opposed to the incremental updates and features now, and I don't think there is enough time, given Palm's limited resources, to get such a thing pushed out by June. So bring on the incremental updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    and pre 2 is coming with 4g
    to rely on this would be the biggest error palm can make. 4G would be nice to have, but is NO reason to get the phone until there is no 4G network available in most places...

They should do their homework and add still missing functionality to the pre. nobody is buying the successor of a phone lacking in standard functions.
    I would hope WebOS = Pre 2 with Snapdragon processor...I can dream can't I? :drool:
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Everything Data $69
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    WiMax WebOS 2.0
    They should just do a 1.4.5 update to fix 1.4.0's shortcomings, and then release webOS 2.0 in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    As long as I get it first, whatever...
    And me second

EDIT: @ Baryn, did webOS 1.4.0 get rid of the 25 pixel drag delay? Can't really tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    to rely on this would be the biggest error palm can make. 4G would be nice to have, but is NO reason to get the phone until there is no 4G network available in most places...

They should do their homework and add still missing functionality to the pre. nobody is buying the successor of a phone lacking in standard functions.
    you must be crazy all you need is the major cities covered. new york should have been done in 2009 and now that clearwire is doing good i expect the roll out to be completed faster than expected.

Clearwire subscribers top 688k, revenue soars in 2009 Boy Genius Report
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    So you are then saying that these bugs are either known about, intended, or both. The fact that this update broke the bluetooth connectivity w/BMW, which was working just fine before, is an example of a problem this update has caused.

I was being facitious with the question of being tested. Obviously they would test it, but, it's very buggy. And to be honest my problems aren't as bad as others have posted. Other than having my wife complain about losing pics w/o warning. Which is pretty unacceptable. Was that new "feature" known about?
    I think the "losing pics w/o warning" was known on palms end. As bad as that sounds. I read some where on here that inside the code the problem was that the file system counter would read 999 and instead of making it go to the new folder 101 for the photos label 1000 and above it just replaced the 100 folder with the new photos. Does that make sense? I think I'm explain it right. If I'm wrong someone who knows please chime in.

If your wife is still having problems there is a patch by Jason which changes the way the photos are label so this doesn't occur.
    - Skinneejay -
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I think palm is too amazing at keeping secrets for this convo to even take place.
    Not hard when only 2-3 people @ palm know whats going on to keep stuff a secret
    they prob have 2 teams working one for the golden 2.0 and one on further updates for current devices... i think all devices will get some vers of 2.0 but it will launch exclusively on their new Flagship device first for a number of months
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post

the last part of your statement makes no sense, newer phone models will always have features that their predecessors are and will continue to be missing, hence the push for the newer model.

on top of that acc to the first part of your post you actually agree with my current statement , saying that 4g should wait for an even later model, albeit you are stating due to lack of service, but regardless the 4g vers acc to you will have a feature that is lacking in the previous versions
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    It would entirely depend on their ability to get a 2.0 update done in 4 months. I would expect a 2.0 update to have significant improvements and new features, as opposed to the incremental updates and features now, and I don't think there is enough time, given Palm's limited resources, to get such a thing pushed out by June. So bring on the incremental updates!
    What you said makes more sense than anything written so far. 2.0 would be expected to have huge increases and improvements in it. I keep wondering what would make more sense for Palm: keep pumping out 1.X increases or just wait until June, which would be one year to the date that WebOS 1.0 was released and release 2.0.

I also think 2.0 will not be dependent upon new hardware. Palm's approach to new software is sort of like Apple and less like Android. WebOs 2.0 will work on new hardware but it'll also should work on the current hardware.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    the last part of your statement makes no sense, newer phone models will always have features that their predecessors are and will continue to be missing, hence the push for the newer model.
    you dont seem to understand my point.

while palm continues selling a product with less than the standard functionalites people which expect from a phone, accompanied by buggy software, their reputation will go lower than their stocks. and when this happens, the successor won't sell, just because people don't want to see it at all.

on top of that acc to the first part of your post you actually agree with my current statement , saying that 4g should wait for an even later model, albeit you are stating due to lack of service, but regardless the 4g vers acc to you will have a feature that is lacking in the previous versions
    I was thinking more about features actually needed. 4G is none of them they should have it on the plan still, but even a better product quality would attract more people than the 4G-abilities
    A 4G phone would obviously be backward compatible with 3G. So even if you're in a 3G area, you'd want to buy it so the minute 4G comes to your area, you're the first one on the block downloading 10x faster than anyone else.

And Sprint 4G is already in 30 cities and is adding 10 more this year. And they're big cities.

As for 2.0, if Palm comes out with webOS 2.0 it better be 10 times faster than 1.4 or else call it what it is: 1.x.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    If your wife is still having problems there is a patch by Jason which changes the way the photos are label so this doesn't occur.
    Thanks, I actually just installed this on our phones. It's available in Preware now. But the damage was already done. She has lost many pics before I installed the patch.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast