Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I love the fact that we have video capture now on the Pre.
    However, I seem to have a problem keping the files. They record, I watch them, they showup in teh videos icon, but then if I record another, the first may disappear. Anyone else see this or know what might be going on?

Also, when the Pre is plugged in to the computer, I do not see a folder for the videos, should I???
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Ok, so I found the video clips. They ar ein the same folder as pictures. However, the missing videos are not there. I am thinking a naming thing is gonig onnd they get overwritten with a new file.
    Quote Originally Posted by dentz View Post
    I love the fact that we have video capture now on the Pre.
    However, I seem to have a problem keping the files. They record, I watch them, they showup in teh videos icon, but then if I record another, the first may disappear. Anyone else see this or know what might be going on?

Also, when the Pre is plugged in to the computer, I do not see a folder for the videos, should I???
    Having the same exact problem.
    I had a video I captured on Saturday and attempted to upload it to facebook. The upload failed and then somehow the video was corrupt and would not play anymore. I had watched it three times before trying to upload. Strange, but this kind of stuff has happened with other computer equipment I own.
    my vids from saturday were gone today,
    I'm getting the disappearing vids too. It's always the first vids listed. I only have one other video and I changed the name. I wonder if it's a naming thing.
    I recorded a video of Black Thought from The Roots at a private event this weekend and it's gone now.

Thanks Palm!
    I noticed this......anyone else feel like this problem is pretty significant or is it just me? I honestly am expecting PALM to address this issue soon instead of later! This is an issue that really can't afford to wait a couple months when the next update is released. What shocks me is that 1.4 was released to developers and was obviously used since January and here we are in march with no fix? This does not make any sense to me.
    I had a similar issue, I had a video which was about 1 min long, was testing to see how it recorded outside in daylight, when i was done i was able to watch the video, everything was great. later on the day I wanted to mess with the edit, so i edited cut it in half or so, then it started to load and never stopped. so i exited the video app, went back in, and the file was corrupt, didnt show the preview in the thumbnails, and wouldnt play
    Software has bugs. This is the nature of the beast. The best, most positive step that anyone can take--if their objective is to see the problem solved--is to contact Palm support and let them know about the issue. The more people who experience it and report it, the better the odds that Palm will recognize it and issue a fix.

Posting complaints here on Precentral.com may be cathartic, but it won't do anything to solve the problem. So, if you haven't already, please report your issue to Palm support in whatever fashion suits you.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    exactly streetz.......i experienced the same issue after a totally clean install. The video recording app doesn't behave well when you edit a file multiple times....it will get stuck during render after an edit is made and will delete your video file. Maaaajor issue....i wish there was a way I could talk to the PALM team but there's nothing to say....these guys already know
    PALM is the type of company that would figure out how to travel back in time but wouldn't implement getting back
    Actually, there is something you can do to prevent deletion, while thereīs no bugfix out. Install Internalz from preware, navigate to the DCIM/100PALM folder to find out the file names. Then use "Terminus" (also available from preware) with something like this:

cp /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM/[your old filename] /media/internal/[folder of your choice]/[your new filename]

Or you can use the following to directly move the file out of the folder ot itīs new place with a new name:

mv /media/internal/DCIM/100PALM/[your old filename] /media/internal/[folder of your choice]/[your new filename]

That way they should show up in the "loaded videos" part of the video app for further use and wonīt be overwritten by the app. Better than nothing I guess.

Please be aware, that you have to edit the video for a name and description BEFORE you copy or move them to their new folder, otherwise you canīt edit them any more once they are out of the video roll.

Of course you can use Internalz to copy or move files directly, which is much more convenient, but you canīt rename files. Problem is, it seems the videos donīt show up in "loaded videos" unless they are renamed.

If youīre not in a hurry you can wait until you get home and connect via usb to your pc or mac and copy the files from there into a new directory and rename them there. Iīm using "videos" as my own folder for clips Iīm copying onto my pre or saving recorded clips for safety, but you can name it all you want.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I lost a great video today that a friend and I made. I'm truly gutted. Poor show Palm.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    I had one video dissappear mysteriously & I thought I must have accidently deleted it, but after reading these posts I'm not so sure now.

Nobody knows if there is any sort of "undelete" on the Pre, is there?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I had one video dissappear mysteriously & I thought I must have accidently deleted it, but after reading these posts I'm not so sure now.

Nobody knows if there is any sort of "undelete" on the Pre, is there?
    No and because they're being overwritten it makes them virtually impossible to recover. If they were just being deleted you'd have a better chance but sadly that isn't the case.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    I had the same issue. I uninstalled some patches like easier naming patch and the take pics with any button and my issue is gone. Dont know if it had anything to do with but is gone.

Also the video camera app freezes sometimes and if i close it and open it again it does not work just goes to a blank image. i have to reboot the phone to get it working again.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I had the same issue without any patches installed! It's a good thing I uploaded that one to facebook.

Now I get the notification that a video successfully uploads to facebook, but it never shows up!
    The videos seem to be entirely over-written (I couldn't find them using a variety of file-recovery utilities).

Over-writing doesn't appear to affect them in the order taken (older and newer videos survived).

Maybe be a naming issue as suggested above? I'll try to replicate it...
    I just chatted with George @ Palm support, and it seems Palm is aware of the issue. Palm says the problem is 3rd party photo programs (I had installed one of them at some point--back in the Homebrew dark ages--can't remember the name, but long ago deleted it). In a nutshell, here is the fix suggested by Palm (I can't confirm that it works yet, I'm a little skeptical, but trying to be optimistic):

1) Make a backup copy of your DCIM/100Palm folder and then rename the folder on the Pre.
    2) Rename the 100Palm folder
    3) problem solved

Here is the transcript of our chat session:

8:10 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app56.logmeinrescue.com...
    8:10 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    8:13 PM Support session established with George.

8:13 PM George: Hello.
    8:13 PM George: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is George. How can I help you today?
    8:13 PM Me: Video recording is great with 1.4 update. However it appears that video files are occasionally over-written.

It doesn't seem to happen to only the oldest or newest files.

I tried using various data recovery tools on the phone connected as a USB drive, but none turned up any file fragments--this suggests the files are being over-written rather than deleted.

I don't see anything about this on the Palm forums, but I do see multiple complaints about this problem on the precentral forums--any idea if this problem has been officially logged by Palm? Thanks!
    8:14 PM George: I can help you with the issue. Thank you for the information.
    8:14 PM George: I see that you are using Palm pre. Right?
    8:14 PM Me: Correct, Sprint Palm Pre
    8:15 PM George: Thank you for the confirmation.
    8:15 PM George: Lets connect the phone to the computer in USB mode
    8:15 PM George: I might be able to help you more if I can remotely access your computer. However, I need your permission to do this. Do I have your permission to remotely access your computer?
    8:16 PM Me: Connected and yes you have permission

8:16 PM Desktop Viewing started by George.

8:16 PM George: Thank you.
    8:16 PM George: Okay.
    8:16 PM George: Open Palmos folder
    8:16 PM George: Click on back
    8:16 PM George: Open DCIM folder
    8:17 PM George: Do you have any video under the 100palm folder
    8:17 PM Me: Yes
    8:17 PM George: Okay. Thank you for the information.
    8:18 PM George: Copy the 100palm folder to your destkop
    8:19 PM George: Now in the DCIM folder rename the 100palm folder to Save
    8:20 PM George: Now close all windows except our chat window.
    8:20 PM George: Disconnect the phone
    8:20 PM George: Try to take two videos with the camera and let me know if you are able to see them or not
    8:21 PM Me: Doing this now, just to clarify, I can watch videos, and take videos, but some are occasionally going missing
    8:21 PM George: Not to worry
    8:21 PM George: Now you will not have the issue
    8:23 PM Me: okay, video still works
    8:23 PM George: Take two or three vidoes
    8:23 PM George: Great!
    8:23 PM George: I am happy to hear this
    8:23 PM George: You will not have them missing now
    8:24 PM Me: So what is the cause of the problem? Is it a naming issue where files are being overwritten only in folders named 100palm?
    8:25 PM George: Did you install any photos related third party applicatioin on the phone?
    8:26 PM Me: No, only apps that do not use the camera
    8:26 PM George: I mean applications like photowall
    8:26 PM Me: I did--is that one that lets you paint on them or something? I think I installed it and deleted it
    8:27 PM George: Yes. That is what causing the issue
    8:27 PM George: We have come across customers facing the issue after instlaling the Photowall application. But nevermind the issue is fixed
    8:27 PM Me: Great thanks
    8:28 PM George: You’re welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with?
    8:28 PM Me: Nope that's it
    8:28 PM George: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number XXXXXXXX Keep this number as a record of this chat, and if you need to call our Voice Support team or contact us again for this same issue, please refer to this number.

8:28 PM George has sent a link: XXXXX

8:30 PM George: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance. Please select Disconnect to end our chat and take a few minutes to complete the survey that you’ll receive. We really appreciate your feedback.
    8:31 PM George: Take care. Bye
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast