Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I basically said this in another thread but I can't resist making a post. I have to say that now, more than ever I have the desire to switch phones (ironic especially now that my phone has a camera, some more nifty things, etc). This is due to the most recent debacle which occurred due to some overclocking patches. If you don't know the story do a little bit of searching for either 600 mhz, or 800 mhz and you should understand after reading the threads.

    I am glad we have such an active community, but simultaneously I came from a Touch Pro to the pre and have to say, it is NOT as active or as willing as the windows mobile community. I'm not just talking about numbers here, i'm well aware there are more WM users than Pre users but still... I remember that regardless of how unstable a ROM was people would always flash away to stay on the bleeding edge. Where is this desire with the Pre? More often I see warnings of "DESTROYING YOUR PHONE" or "SEVERELY REDUCING BATTERY LIFE" because of overclocking. You have insurance, USE IT. If you got a pre with a chipset from the crap bin... then maybe it isn't your fault but the hardware's.

    I just want to see that drive I saw in the WM community. As much as i'm complaining about the overclocking situation, I will simultaneously praise Palm for making such an awesome OS. It really is a piece of work, and of course it has its flaws we all wish would be addressed, but of the three it is definitely the most fun to use. Does this make it the most effective, I don't think so, but it sure as hell is fun to use.

    In essence, I hope that somebody is considering picking up the 800 mhz project or whatever and continuing to move it forward, I understand the reasoning for it being stopped... but simultaneously we must all accept the risks when we push anything to its limits. Your body works in the same way, if you want to get strong you work hard, and you might just hurt yourself unintentionally in the process. Luckily, replacing your phone and body aren't quite the same difficulty!

    I love Palm, and it's sad to hear all of the financial problems. I want to stick around, but I want to see this phone get pushed to its limits. I love the people at WebOS internals, they know about pushing a phone to its limits and making it more interesting. I want to see the attention given to preware put into something like overclocking, because the benefits of overclocking would be about as tangible as those associated with preware (patches speed up phone use... overclocking speeds up phone use).

    Well, here's hoping this post falls on the ears of somebody smarter than I am.

    --Dave
  2. digink's Avatar
    Posts
    322 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    I basically said this in another thread but I can't resist making a post. I have to say that now, more than ever I have the desire to switch phones (ironic especially now that my phone has a camera, some more nifty things, etc). This is due to the most recent debacle which occurred due to some overclocking patches. If you don't know the story do a little bit of searching for either 600 mhz, or 800 mhz and you should understand after reading the threads.

    I am glad we have such an active community, but simultaneously I came from a Touch Pro to the pre and have to say, it is NOT as active or as willing as the windows mobile community. I'm not just talking about numbers here, i'm well aware there are more WM users than Pre users but still... I remember that regardless of how unstable a ROM was people would always flash away to stay on the bleeding edge. Where is this desire with the Pre? More often I see warnings of "DESTROYING YOUR PHONE" or "SEVERELY REDUCING BATTERY LIFE" because of overclocking. You have insurance, USE IT. If you got a pre with a chipset from the crap bin... then maybe it isn't your fault but the hardware's.

    I just want to see that drive I saw in the WM community. As much as i'm complaining about the overclocking situation, I will simultaneously praise Palm for making such an awesome OS. It really is a piece of work, and of course it has its flaws we all wish would be addressed, but of the three it is definitely the most fun to use. Does this make it the most effective, I don't think so, but it sure as hell is fun to use.

    In essence, I hope that somebody is considering picking up the 800 mhz project or whatever and continuing to move it forward, I understand the reasoning for it being stopped... but simultaneously we must all accept the risks when we push anything to its limits. Your body works in the same way, if you want to get strong you work hard, and you might just hurt yourself unintentionally in the process. Luckily, replacing your phone and body aren't quite the same difficulty!

    I love Palm, and it's sad to hear all of the financial problems. I want to stick around, but I want to see this phone get pushed to its limits. I love the people at WebOS internals, they know about pushing a phone to its limits and making it more interesting. I want to see the attention given to preware put into something like overclocking, because the benefits of overclocking would be about as tangible as those associated with preware (patches speed up phone use... overclocking speeds up phone use).

    Well, here's hoping this post falls on the ears of somebody smarter than I am.

    --Dave
    +1
  3. #3  
    I basically read this in another post, so I completely quit reading after your first sentence.
  4.    #4  
    /sarcasm Thanks for the heads up! /end sarcasm
  5. #5  
    Logic dictates that because Palm has to warrantee their phones for 1 year I don't think they are too thrilled with having users clock their phones at 800 mhz. I had mine clocked at 600 mhz for awhile and did notice a slight speed improvement but switched back because of the battery drain when running an app.
  6. #6  
    Great post
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Logic dictates that because Palm has to warrantee their phones for 1 year I don't think they are too thrilled with having users clock their phones at 800 mhz. I had mine clocked at 600 mhz for awhile and did notice a slight speed improvement but switched back because of the battery drain when running an app.
    I understand your logic behind what you're stating 100%, my only rebuttal is that think about the number of smartphone users who DON'T dish out the money for insurance through their carrier? I would assure you that number is extremely low. And when it comes to Palm replacing your phone and Asurion... you're going to choose the latter.

    In regards to your battery drain problem, yes it is there. But it's not really a big hit. Try it again, especially in 1.4 I am getting GREAT battery life out of my 600 mhz clocked phone. In addition, the 800 mhz patch is well worth the battery life. There was virtually no lag in any part of the OS.

    P.S. Palm themselves clock the phone to 600 mhz when 3d games are running, thus they can't be overtly concerned about that now can they? Yes this is obviously not constant as it is with the patch but it shows they are willing to ramp it up to 600 mhz. A lot of the "you will break your phone" talk is all guesswork, linking hardware failure to manufacturing, chipset, etc. is very difficult to do.

    --Dave
  8. #8  
    good post, but here's my opinion... Even though we have insurance on the phone, being a guinea pig for someones idea that offers no support is not worth $100 dollars. I mean the developer of the patch will help someone in need to a certain extent.

    much respect to those taking the risk, but two failed attempts can buy you almost two brand new phones. Also not forgetting the painstaking amount of time to reorganize your stuff, reinstall apps that has most likely lost your data... So ya.
  9. #9  
    The 800 mhz patch hasn't been dropped, its just stalled. In order for the developer to make the patch work with 1.4 he needs to have the base code for 1.4 so he can figure out what to change. The data that we collected from testing the patches is still being sorted out and will be posted soon. Caj2008 was one of the main guys working on this and his phone fried so he decided to stop work (its time consuming)... but he was 1 of 2 who were in on developing this, so don't take his resignation as a complete stop to the 800 mhz production. I can't speak for the other dev, but i'm sure he will continue his work when he gets the proper tools to do so
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    good post, but here's my opinion... Even though we have insurance on the phone, being a guinea pig for someones idea that offers no support is not worth $100 dollars. I mean the developer of the patch will help someone in need to a certain extent.

    much respect to those taking the risk, but two failed attempts can buy you almost two brand new phones. Also not forgetting the painstaking amount of time to reorganize your stuff, reinstall apps that has most likely lost your data... So ya.
    Which is why you are a guinea pig. Good post, and you're right. But some people sign up for it, we are a minority here. We fall into a category of Pre users who chose to be educated about the phone just by coming to this site. Thus, some of us are OK with that $50 deductible in order to learn more and get more out of our phone.

    But thanks for your response and opinion. I just wanted people to read through and tell me what they thought.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    The 800 mhz patch hasn't been dropped, its just stalled. In order for the developer to make the patch work with 1.4 he needs to have the base code for 1.4 so he can figure out what to change. The data that we collected from testing the patches is still being sorted out and will be posted soon. Caj2008 was one of the main guys working on this and his phone fried so he decided to stop work (its time consuming)... but he was 1 of 2 who were in on developing this, so don't take his resignation as a complete stop to the 800 mhz production. I can't speak for the other dev, but i'm sure he will continue his work when he gets the proper tools to do so
    If here were to come forward and state that I would be 100% happy with the situation. But you have to take into consideration that's a BIG task! It's more than a one man job imo. I will lend my beta testing support but I think he would need more know how and help before he himself would abandon the job. I just was shocked that not more people were rising up to help this cause.
  12. #12  
    Please do not think I am bagging on your post because I am not and like you I am always looking for new ways to tweak my Pre to make it perform better. Basically I just was just shedding some light on where Palm was coming from and why they took actions that they did in the 1.4 update.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    Which is why you are a guinea pig. Good post, and you're right. But some people sign up for it, we are a minority here. We fall into a category of Pre users who chose to be educated about the phone just by coming to this site. Thus, some of us are OK with that $50 deductible in order to learn more and get more out of our phone.

    But thanks for your response and opinion. I just wanted people to read through and tell me what they thought.
    it's not $50 bucks for spint, it's $100
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    If here were to come forward and state that I would be 100% happy with the situation. But you have to take into consideration that's a BIG task! It's more than a one man job imo. I will lend my beta testing support but I think he would need more know how and help before he himself would abandon the job. I just was shocked that not more people were rising up to help this cause.
    He did in another thread.. he was trying to get someone who had insider info to get the 1.4 info to him earlier. I'm pretty sure he developed the first one on his own... and there were a lot of us helping him with the tests, and we did pretty extensive testing. I'm not sure if you saw the alpha tester call thread, but they had more than enough willing testers... i will estimate at 150 more than they could use. There is just a lot going on with the 1.4 update, everyone is scrambling trying to make everything compatible
  15. #15  
    so your saying people should risk breaking their phones, because they are covered under an insurance policy, that says if the damage is caused intentionally you are not covered?

    Yeah thats what palm really needs right now, a bunch of burned pre's in the press and the insurance company getting slammed with claims. I disagree with you whole heartedly here. I don't mind the patching, I dont mind overclocking either, but i do mind running up deductibles for the rest of the world because you want to "push the limits"......if you only do it with asurion as your saftey net.... your doing it wrong.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Please do not think I am bagging on your post because I am not and like you I am always looking for new ways to tweak my Pre to make it perform better. Basically I just was just shedding some light on where Palm was coming from and why they took actions that they did in the 1.4 update.
    I'll be honest I don't think Palm INTENTIONALLY disabled it. I think their update just happened to conflict with the patch, much like many of the other patches we benefit from! But no, i wasn't going after you, just responding to your post. Thanks for your input man! Glad you are a tweaker like me.
  17. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #17  
    I also used to be a WM user, touch diamond), and while for a time I enjoyed the rom flashin community, I now feel that it was more from necessity that the WM more so active (not jus more users).

    also I don't remember there being tweaks that seemed quite as risky as overclocking the cpu. Mostly the tweaks were in coding that times evdo off sooner, or removed bloatware etc.

    webos itself is already a unified ui experience and I kinda appreciate not having to fish for different roms now.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    so your saying people should risk breaking their phones, because they are covered under an insurance policy, that says if the damage is caused intentionally you are not covered?

    Yeah thats what palm really needs right now, a bunch of burned pre's in the press and the insurance company getting slammed with returns. I disagree with you whole heartedly here. I don't mind the patching, I dont mind overclocking either, but i do mind running up deductibles for the rest of the world because you want to "push the limits"......if you do it with asurion as your saftey net.... your doing it wrong.
    Asurion is not only a safety net, overclocking doesn't have instantaneous negative effects on your phone. If anything it will be over the course of time that it will begin to give out. In regards to pre's being in the press.... i highly doubt that. The pre can't get any good publicity right now and if a few overclockers burn their pres out it won't be any different than a couple of wm users doing it (go see the help forums for any of the android forums and see how many people complain about bricked phones from overclocking!), but all you hear is the good! If anything overclocking to 800 mhz and having a majority of people stable will bring MORE geeks and nerds to this phone!

    Insurance rates, they are already ridiculous, and a few people burning their pres won't jack this up.

    *EDIT* I'm saying people who are WILLING TO RISK THEIR PHONES shouldn't be deterred by those who aren't. Those who aren't don't do it, those who are do.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post
    I also used to be a WM user, touch diamond), and while for a time I enjoyed the rom flashin community, I now feel that it was more from necessity that the WM more so active (not jus more users).

    also I don't remember there being tweaks that seemed quite as risky as overclocking the cpu. Mostly the tweaks were in coding that times evdo off sooner, or removed bloatware etc.

    webos itself is already a unified ui experience and I kinda appreciate not having to fish for different roms now.
    Flashing ROMS always brought the chance your phone would brick. If you installed a ROM over another one, didn't preform hard resets regularly, etc you could brick your phone.
  20. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    Flashing ROMS always brought the chance your phone would brick. If you installed a ROM over another one, didn't preform hard resets regularly, etc you could brick your phone.
    true. And like you said about the pre warnings, those wm roms always carried the warning that your phone could be bricked etc.

    I don't disagree with you about wantng more push from the community. But maybe you're feeling sad because tweaking webOS isn't as dramatic a change as flashing a new rom on wm?

    it all seems connected to me, if more webos devices sell,we'll see more devs comin out with tweaks. Also maybe when the full api's are available we'll se eeven more cool changes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions