View Poll Results: Should Palm have released webOS 1.4 in February?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Palm should have done more testing.

22 34.92%
  • Yes. Palm should have met their deadline regardless.

41 65.08%
  1.    #1  
    Some folks have experienced bugs in webOS 1.4, and have complained quite vigorously. Prior to the update's release, many folks were complaining that Palm was breaking a solemn promise when it seemed like the release might not come out in February.

So, I have to ask: would you have rathered that Palm release webOS 1.4 in its current state in February, or submitted it to another round of testing even if that meant missing their self-imposed February deadline?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I was in no rush for 1.4 but I'm glad it was finally released. I was excited for it and thought the added features would be great, but it wouldn't have bothered me if 1.4 didn't come out for months. I personally haven't ran into any bugs or issues since the update. I think that 1.4 was a pretty good update and I'm content with my phones as is.

That being said, I voted yes.
    seems like a rather biased poll couldnt we have had an option for "they did enough testing and it installed fine for me"
    Man, this is my first time posting but to be honest with you. They should have waited longer to make sure everything what right. I was much happier with the older version then this 1.4 update.

I wouldn't have mind the longer wait if it ment getting an update done right.

Right now, my phone lags.
    Sometimes, videos won't show.
    Slow in everything.
    I recorded a few videos and only getting a fraction of the seconds that was actually recorded.

My phone has been locked in headphone mode forever now. Can't get it out of that mode no matter what I do. So I used some headphones to talk on the phone. Well with this new update. The microphone from the phone is now disabled when making a phone call. To top it off, my little speaker doesn't work properly. (My last one didn't work either) so now talking on the phone has become virtually impossible. Lucky for me, my bro has the same phone so I took his headphones with the mic, but I think they suck when it comes to music.

It didn't matter when the new update would have made it to the phone. I was getting along quiet fine without it. But if it would have came out. It should have been tested for all these bugs. Unless there were no bugs and the phone doesn't like me.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The new features and performance increase are nice. But I've lost count of how many times Luna has frozen on me, and restarted itself, since Saturday morning... unacceptable.

Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    seems like a rather biased poll couldnt we have had an option for "they did enough testing and it installed fine for me"
    I agree. I can't vote for either of the categories.
    Everything is working fine on my Pre except for some patches (of course that is expected). I did not vote because there is not a circle for me to check because I am happy with the 1.4 update and glad they released it.
    I dont know who lives in a world without deadlines, but I dont and neither does Palm. If there werent a deadline, we'd still have PalmOS v5.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1!! Nothing, and I do stress NOTHING, is fully ironed out before release. There is always features left out or bugs. Either youre a realistic person and you are grateful for what you received, or youre never going to be satisfied.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I can't vote for either. Not seeing any problems and very happy with the 1.4 upgrade.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    First, you're supposed to be more negative than this. I'm disappointed.

Second, the poll is inherently ironic. No piece of software is perfect, unless it costs many millions of dollars to develop and runs airliners and MRI machines. And even then, it might not be perfect--some of you might remember that when the Patriot missile system was first deployed, a software bug caused the deaths of some American airmen when a Patriot battery failed to destroy an Iraqi scud.

So, the question is: should Palm have released even knowing that the update wasn't (and couldn't be) perfect, or should they have tested it _one more time_ (or, one hundred more times).

The cognitive dissonance some folks are experiencing in answering the poll reflects this general reality.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    From what I've seen on the forum, there are very few bugs in this release. A bug is a software issue that would be consistent. To me, the fact that most BMW Bluetooth units aren't working with 1.4 is a bug. Most of the other complaints (but not all) frequently seem to occur with situations where someone forgot to do something in advance, or hadn't prepared appropriately for the update. While I could have a problem at any minute, I haven't had any major problems with any of the updates since 1.2 when a number of people without patches or anything else kept getting messages to re-install the update when it was already there. Paying attention to details, reading about changes you make to the phone, and common sense are important ways to keep your device working. After literally hundreds of posts about the fact that themes needed to be removed before the update, I've seen at least 15 posts from people who said they just forgot. While there are certainly hardware issues, the software seems solid to me if you pay attention.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Count me in the "can't vote because I don't have any bugs" tally.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Mine was locking up right after the upgrade. I used the doctor to start over and now it is just awesome! No lockups, fast speed and I love it! Not sure why the upgrade was an issue. Maybe some of the patches I had installed.
    definitely a biased poll. this is the kind of question i will not answer when someone calls to do a phone survey.

that said, i'm glad it was released when it was, as i have had zero of the problems, and am reaping all of the benefits. maybe i'm blessed, because i have had basically zero of the problems people seem to have had with this phone, and i am really enjoying it in just about every way. so yeah, either i'm blessed, or...
    Did a hard restart. Hopefully this fixes most of the things. And I do agree that the world is full of deadlines. I'm not really complaining as I can really take most of its few bugs that it has. Nothing is perfect and every update is a step for the better. But when something is working perfectly. Don't see the reason in changing it. (Mostly talking about phone part) They should at least gave an option to turn mic on while using the headphones if they were gonna disable it.

That is all...
    I did not perceive an irony in your poll at all. If you would have stated that Palm should have tested it 100 more times in your poll or some other sniffing of irony than maybe people would have understood the direction of your thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I can't vote for either. Not seeing any problems and very happy with the 1.4 upgrade.
    +1
    I agree that all software is going to have bugs. What I don't like is that Palm made something WORSE from their update. I can't talk via my bluetooth system in my car. That is ridiculous, this is 2010! I live in CA and I can't talk on a cell phone while driving and I sure as hell won't use speakerphone while I'm on a business call. Palm can release a buggy update that is kind of annoying, but can be fixed in a few weeks, but a sudden problems like this is unacceptable. I have been a fan of palm since I could afford my own (palm VII), and I got my pre in launch day. If they don't have this fixed by Friday, I will be very worried about Palm's priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    I agree that all software is going to have bugs. What I don't like is that Palm made something WORSE from their update. I can't talk via my bluetooth system in my car. That is ridiculous, this is 2010! I live in CA and I can't talk on a cell phone while driving and I sure as hell won't use speakerphone while I'm on a business call. Palm can release a buggy update that is kind of annoying, but can be fixed in a few weeks, but a sudden problems like this is unacceptable. I have been a fan of palm since I could afford my own (palm VII), and I got my pre in launch day. If they don't have this fixed by Friday, I will be very worried about Palm's priorities.
    I feel for you about that, assuming you have a BMW, but the BT in my Yukon was not affected in any way and works perfectly. I imagine with hundreds of different BT devices, it's not surprising some have problems.
    The funny thing is that the implicit assumption in the poll is that more testing would have uncovered and allowed Palm to fix the bugs. In reality, it's unlikely that Palm would have discovered these bugs (take the pre-2008 BMW Bluetooth bug for example) without sending the release out to a larger population of people who would exercise 1.4 in different ways. Assuming they did their proper diligence and tested "enough," they probably uncovered all the bugs they were likely to uncover.

Unless, of course, they knew about some of these bugs and released anyway, which is possible. And, in which case, more testing would not have been the issue.

The truth is that writing good software is really hard, and testing good software is even harder. Sometimes the only way to get it done is to deploy and hang on.

So, I'm glad that Palm released, even if it was premature, which it probably was not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer