Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Okay, it's March.

We're waiting... as far as I'm concerned, every day from this point I consider paid apps to be LATE.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    For those of us not in the "official country" list, I am not holding my breath.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    What do you mean by that tho? I'm not in an officially palm-recognised country, but i'm using a pre from one. what difference would that make?

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    oh dear. This is starting to make my heart sink.

You're implying that in order to use it on my movistar pre i'd need a spanish credit card?

If that's the case, I think that maybe it would be time for me to finally webos doctor my phone and go preware. Would that give me access to u.s. paid apps?

How is the payment actually done? Credit card only?

I've had Paid Apps on my GSM Palm Pre for a while (1.4 broke it though =/ ) so i'm not really fussed when it comes.

Credit cards only for payment right now, no option to be charged to network provider. Preware won't give you access to paid apps that have not been submitted for your country AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    For those of us not in the "official country" list, I am not holding my breath.
    It would be huge if Palm actually gave us all access to App Catalog and paid apps but as you say, I wont hold my breath.

Still happy about WebOS 1.4 and that great IPK Fetcher but perhaps I will start moaning again if nothing happend towards the summer.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    i just wonder that even if palm would open up the catalog to every country, we would still have the problem of how developers set the regional availability of apps.
    Being in an unofficial country i had no 3d games appearing last week, while it seems Germany,Spain and UK had them in the catalog.
    Even with the free app part of the catalog we don't see all the apps due to submission settings apparently, so i think that won't change with paid apps.

However, strongly possible that paid apps will go only to "official" countries, instead of going to Pre users without distinction.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    This, and the fact that apps like bweather are STILL not available to me...

this is really starting to **** me off.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    You mean 'broke it' broke it, or 'couldn't be bothered to set it back up' broke it.

What I don't get (but I'm dumb) is that Palm and developers don't seem bothered by the risk of a large part of unofficial users considering warez as a acceptable option. If not now, come April definitely.
    Sorry only just saw this reply now .

Not sure, but i think its "couldn't be bothered to set it back up" broke it, simply because i havent tried yet

Yes its disconcerting, and its relatively easy to get paid for applications off the device and package them into ipk's for "redistribution", so it's worrying.

But if im being honest, i think Palm has more to worry about than piracy issues with their OS for the time being. Like actually getring people to buy the device in the first place
    Let's wait till the end of the month as the 1.4 update
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Come April, I might start to think it's late. Just look at 1.4.
    There are already a couple of apps that you can buy directly from the developer. You install the trial version, pay them and get full access. Why don't more developers do this? It would give the rest of the world all apps without this whole app catalog thing.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Cli UX50 - T|x - Pr - Pr 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    man i wish tweed would do that.

Don't bet on anyhting. Following is a transcript of my chat with Palm support yesterday March 7, 2010:

9:35 AM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app01-12.logmeinrescue.com...
    9:35 AM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    9:36 AM Support session established with Kent.

9:36 AM Kent: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Kent, How can I help you today?
    9:36 AM Kent: Please let me go through the information you have provided.
    9:36 AM MTH: When are Bell customers going to have access to the full app catalog?
    9:37 AM Kent: I understand that you want to know when will Bell customers have full access to App Catalog.
    9:37 AM MTH: Yes
    9:37 AM Kent: Let me explain it to you.
    9:39 AM Kent: The applications are available in App Catalog or not developed by Palm and access to the application through App Catalog will be through Developers who develop the application and they will filter the application in a way that it can be accessed in specific region or only through specific carrier.
    9:39 AM Kent: It has to be through the developers of that programs which are available in App Catalog.
    9:42 AM MTH: I don't think that is correct. All the forums indicate that Palm is unable to provide worldwide access for various technical and financial reasons. I have been a Palm user since 2001. I have been listening to "coming soon" about the app catalog since October. Quite frankly, it is no wonder you can't sell the devices in Canada - no support from the carrier, no support from Palm. Again - my question is, on what date will we have access to the full catalog. At present we have NO access to any paid apps. Can't sell devices people can't fully use!
    9:44 AM Kent: I am afraid that this is something which has to be decided from the developers side.
    9:45 AM Kent: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to you.
    9:46 AM MTH: Funny, Bell says it is Palm, Palm says it is the developers, somebody needs to step up to the plate and make it happen. The message just doesn't seem to get through to Palm. Canadian (and I am sure European) customers fell very unsupported. Can you tell me what, if anything is being done to address this, or can you find someone who can?
    9:48 AM Kent: I will transfer you to my supervisor.
    9:48 AM Kent: Give me a minute.
    9:48 AM MTH: Thank you

9:48 AM Transferring session to another technician...
    9:48 AM Support session established with Scott.

9:50 AM Scott: Hello.
    9:50 AM MTH: Hello Scott
    9:51 AM Scott: I understand your concern regarding the Applications for your Palm Pre.
    9:52 AM Scott: As Kent explained that the Developer will decide which application to show for which carrier.
    9:53 AM Scott: The software developers will design them and filter them.
    9:53 AM Scott: And we will keep you posted about the updates on our website.
    9:54 AM MTH: Yes, understanding concern is one thing, somebody doing something about is seems to be an entirely different problem. Can you tell me if, when, how this will be addressed. I addition, you can't tell me that the developers of all paid apps have decided that their products are not for use with Bell. Theiur "Lite" versions with limitations and expiry dates are available, but when you click on the link to purchase "not available in your country". Say what you want but this is a Palm problem.
    9:55 AM Scott: I am sorry for the confusion, the developer will design this rules, but not Palm.
    9:56 AM Scott: You will have the application in near future.
    9:56 AM Scott: But we do not have information on when.
    9:57 AM MTH: Sorry, I don't buy it and neither do other customers. Hope the message gets upstairs to Jon Rubenstein - support canada or you are lost in this country. I am told that most Bell dealers won't even stock the device now. Too bad - best device, worst support, everyone says someone else is responsible. Hope the message gets through beforeyour country's Chapter 11 sets in.
    9:58 AM MTH: Just so you know, I am going to pots a transcript on the Palm forums and the forums at precentral.
    9:58 AM Scott: There are some posting already on this.
    9:58 AM Scott: Visit: http:// Link edited out ces-for-webOS/App-catalog-on-Bell-Mobility/td-p/244150;jsessionid=D0F4D81770C08A4035930E6DD1A47E76
    9:59 AM Scott: We are aware of all this, we cannot comment on the unreleased and upcoming updates as per the policy.
    9:59 AM Scott: Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
    10:00 AM MTH: I am sorry, I ran out of understanding several months ago.
    10:02 AM Scott: I can understand your frustration in this regard.
    10:02 AM Scott: But there will be apps for bell and we don't have information on when.
    10:03 AM MTH: Great - then Palm should do something. All the understanding in the world won't rescue you - you need to make it happen.
    10:04 AM Scott: We will do our best as much the things are in our hand.
    10:04 AM Scott: hands*
    10:04 AM Scott: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    10:05 AM MTH: That is all, thank you.
    10:05 AM Scott: Thank you for using Palm Technical Support. Click on "X" button on this chat window and fill in our customer survey and tell us how helpful this support has been. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    10:05 AM Scott: The session id of this chat is 52140321

10:06 AM Scott has ended the session.
    I'm sure you're right. I had the exact same experience talking to Palm about the very same subject. They blamed it on the developers, pure and simply.
    However, the guy developing the xbmc 4 webOS client just couldn't release it in a way that it was accessible to me - in Denmark - , therefore he chose to release it in the homebrew community. (If you read this xbmc4webos, *thank you* , I use it every day)
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Sorry guys, but there are some devs giving away their full apps for free and this means they decided to set the access to every user worldwide for their apps and are waiting for something else (Palm?) to give them a way to make the paid option work.

So, I think the first point is how devs propose their apps along the submission process and this is surely not to blame on Palm. At first I even had no catolog access, that was a problem Palm solved, but since then some apps appear day by day, meaning that some of the devs who update their apps or submit new ones set their apps to be available wherever. Again, not all free apps i see on here are available to me, so this means presumabily that other devs make a stricter choice on the availability of their apps.
    I really don't get how is it possible that some devs are so lucky to get through the submission successfully and able to let them apps opened to everyone, while other devs seem to be so unlucky. Maybe it's not a matter of luck? Don't wanna blame devs, for me they can choose to set their apps to be available only in US if they like and prefer so.

As for the payments, I am wondering how many paid apps will make the difference in the use of ur phone right now. It seems clear that Palm has to do with this part of the problem, they have to make some agreement and technical stuff for payments to be feasible i guess, but then it will remain the problem of how devs will choose to submit their apps.

However, since my first contact with Palm support when in october i was even not able to access the catalog i have been told that paid apps would have been available outside US most easily in march. Now, to be honest, it's not that a paid app will really change my life, some may be useful, ok, but i won't mind waiting 1 month more.
    March 31st is the date! The three EA apps that are currently free will stay so till that date. If someone resets his/her Pre after that, then the EA apps won't get installed and will have to be purchased.

Kostenpflichtige Apps kommen am 31. März nach Europa | webOS Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    March 31st is the date! The three EA apps that are currently free will stay so till that date. If someone resets his/her Pre after that, then the EA apps won't get installed and will have to be purchased.

Kostenpflichtige Apps kommen am 31. März nach Europa | webOS Blog

The 3 EA apps are not available in all Europe....whatever.
    To get paid apps, one has to be able to access the App Catalog in the first place. I doubt if this will be truly International other than the official release countires, given the fact that Palm practices geo-filtering policies. If you see "this action cannot be completed" when trying to access the App Catalog, then don't hope that you'll get paid apps come April.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    the strange point is: if i can see most of the free apps even in an unofficial country, that should mean there should be a way to see also paid ones.
    the thing i still don't get is: if geo-filtering along the submission process lets devs choose btw US,Germany,Spain,UK,Canada or a combination of these, then how is it possible that we see apps in other countries at all?

That might mean that devs are not obliged to set a geo-filter? Perhaps, the problem is always the same.

Btw, i don't get why devs don't start selling their apps directly. some do, more should do this way, so either Palm moves towards setting properly the catalog, either devs declare their willingness to spread their apps not just in official countries.
    Palm support from March 9, 2010 on paid apps for Bell

March 9, 2010

8:49 AM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app06.logmeinrescue.com...
    8:49 AM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    8:51 AM Support session established with Calvin.

8:51 AM Calvin: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Calvin.
    8:51 AM Michael Hillis: Hello Calvin, could you please tell me when I will havew acces to paid apps.
    8:51 AM Calvin: I understand that you want to know the information about paid applications in Canada pre devices.Am I correct?
    8:52 AM Michael Hillis: Yes
    8:53 AM Calvin: Thank you for the confirmation.
    8:55 AM Calvin: To be frank with you, we are not sure about the exact date when the paid applications available of the Canada devices.
    8:55 AM Calvin: As of now we do not have an access to use the paid applications on Pre device.
    8:57 AM Calvin: If there are any updates regarding this, Palm will post the details in Palm official website.
    8:58 AM Michael Hillis: That is a big problem for me. I have been a Palm user since 2001. I have been told "coming soon" since October. I was locked into a 3 year contract by Bell. The device does not have adequate built in functions for things like calculators, speed dialers, etc. I was fortunate enough to get some early development versions of applications via the homebrew community, but when these moved to the paid app catalog they became unavailable. Now I feel very unsupported by the manufacturer and the carrier. Could you find someone who can tell me when this will happen?
    9:00 AM Calvin: It is quite unfortunate that one of our best customer has had a hard time.
    9:02 AM Calvin: As we can access the paid applications on pre devices with the carrier Sprint, Verizon in US, I hope the issue may be with the carrier.
    9:03 AM Calvin: Have you ever contacted the carrier regarding this issue?
    9:04 AM Michael Hillis: Yes, but I am not the only one. A lot of disappointed Palm loyalists out there. Great device. You sell them with the understanding that many, many add on applications are available, but you won;t make them available to all customers. Apple didn't sell ipods as a device that people could think about playing music on. They sold devices that could access content. I have a pile of old motorolas if all I want to do is make phone calls. If you want to sell phones you better make the content available. If CEO Jon doesn't understand this, Palm (and all your jobs) are headed for your country's Chapter 11. No one seems to want to take responsibility here and make it happen. Is there anyone at Palm who can tell me more?
    9:05 AM Michael Hillis: No, the issue is not the carrier. Bell says it is Palm, your colleagues in previous contacts say it isn't Palm, it is the Palm developers - no-one is interested. Typical big corporation double talk - "not me, not me". The sort of thing my kids say to me.
    9:10 AM Calvin: I am sorry for the delaying.
    9:11 AM Michael Hillis: I know, you are instructed to say "sorry, I apoligize, etc". Maybe you can tell me does any of this get passed on, and is there anyone else I can talk to - 2 speceific questions here.
    9:12 AM Calvin: Palm is already aware of this issue, unable to access the paid applications for Bell mobility in Canada.
    9:12 AM Calvin: AS this is a region specific, that paid applications cannot access in Canada.
    9:16 AM Calvin: In this situation, I can do one thing from our end.
    9:16 AM Calvin: I will provide a web link to post your feed back and you can request for features and applications.

9:17 AM Calvin has sent a link: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

9:17 AM Calvin: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    9:18 AM Michael Hillis: Thank you for the link. I will be posting a transcript of our chat on the Palm forums and the Precentral forums.
    9:19 AM Calvin: Please give me a moment.
    9:19 AM Calvin: Let me transfer you to the supervisor.

9:20 AM Transferring session to another technician...
    9:20 AM Support session established with Scott.

9:21 AM Scott: Hello, please give me a moment while I go through the previous chat session.
    9:21 AM Michael Hillis: Hello Scott - are you the same Scott from Sunday?
    9:22 AM Scott: Yes, I am the same.
    9:23 AM Michael Hillis: Great, any more information for a longtime Palm user?
    9:24 AM Scott: There is no development and news in this two days.
    9:24 AM Scott: It is same as earlier.
    9:25 AM Scott: We will post the information on our website when there are Paid applications for your Palm Pre.
    9:26 AM Scott: As informed earlier, we cannot comment on the upcoming and unreleased products.
    9:26 AM Scott: Please understand.
    9:26 AM Scott: This is region specific as well the Filters.
    9:26 AM Scott: Palm is aware of this and working on it.
    9:26 AM Scott: But we do not have any estimate time of information on this regard.
    9:28 AM Scott: Thank you for your understanding in this regard.
    9:28 AM Michael Hillis: Very disappointing. Again, no apparent interest, and noone to say "I am responsible". Too bad. I will call bell and try to get out of the contract as you and the carrier cannot seem to support your Canadian customers. Again, you can talk about "developers", "carriers", "region specific" all you want, but in the end it is a Palm problem - if you can't sell the phones you are out of business. But I guess that is Palm and the investors problem, not the customers' problem.
    9:31 AM Scott: I can understand your situation, but as of now, there are no paid applications for the Palm Pre Bell.
    9:31 AM Michael Hillis: Thanks for your time. Now over to the forums to post this.