1.    #1  
    The title says it all. What does Secure Full Erase in webOS 1.4 really do? Does it delete your palm profile on your cloud as well, meaning backed up contacts lost??
  2.    #2  
    3:49 PM Matt: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Matt. How can I help you today?
    3:49 PM Matt: Hello Gustavo.
    3:50 PM Gustavo Guillen: hi
    3:50 PM Matt: Could you give me a detailed description of the issue and the exact status?
    3:51 PM Matt: This would help me assist you better.
    3:51 PM Gustavo Guillen: whats is a secure full erase vs a full erase
    3:51 PM Gustavo Guillen: in webOS 1.4
    3:51 PM Gustavo Guillen: what can i benefit from the two
    3:52 PM Matt: I understand that you would like to know the difference between Secure Full erase vs the Full erase, am I correct?
    3:52 PM Gustavo Guillen: yes
    3:53 PM Gustavo Guillen: you are correct
    3:55 PM Matt: I will be glad to provide you the required information.
    3:55 PM Matt: Full erase will simply erase files while Secure full erase will overwrite so they are more difficult to recover.
    3:56 PM Gustavo Guillen: what do you mean by overwrite and difficult to recover?
    3:57 PM Gustavo Guillen: So my backup contats on my Palm Profile will be lost?
    3:57 PM Matt: Yes, it will overwrite the date.
    3:57 PM Matt: *It will overwrite the data.
    3:57 PM Matt: A secure full erase takes considerably longer than a regular full erase.

3:58 PM Gustavo Guillen: So I lose my backup contacts
    3:58 PM Gustavo Guillen: so if I use WebOS Doctor and sign into my palm profile again non of my backed up data will be downloaded again?
    3:58 PM Matt: Yes, if you perform a Secure full erase, you will be loosing all your data from the profile and the device as well.
    3:59 PM Gustavo Guillen: noo
    3:59 PM Gustavo Guillen: Thats not what i want
    4:00 PM Gustavo Guillen: I want to erase all my data on my Phone only!
    4:00 PM Matt: When you perform a Full erase, the data will be removed from the device but still remain on your profile.
    4:00 PM Gustavo Guillen: im already performing a secure full erase
    4:00 PM Gustavo Guillen: but the phone did not display i would be losing everything on my cloud as well
    4:01 PM Matt: Oh! well, let me clarify you.
    4:02 PM Gustavo Guillen: I need all my contacts!
    4:03 PM Gustavo Guillen: Im doing this erase and doing webOS Doctor
    This is messed up! The phone didnt say anything about My Palm Profile!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I did a secure full erase, but all my contacts and apps from my palm profile were intact...
    I don't think "Matt" knows what he's talking about, entirely.

Flash memory, just like magnetic hard drives, stores data in a way that can be recovered with the proper tools. If you perform a typical "erase" procedure, what normally happens is that the operating system merely adjusts an allocation table such that the OS will think the space is no longer occupied with data. Thus, the system will "see" the disk as empty. This is what happens with a "quick format" on a hard drive.

A Full Erase wipes the flash partition but only does so by overwriting the file allocation table. A "Secure Full Erase" not only overwrites the file allocation table, but also overwrites all the remaining sectors on the flash drive with random data. With magnetic media it is necessary to perform this overwrite several times so that the bits are sufficiently randomized making the data "unrecoverable".

This all happens on the phone's flash drive and has nothing to do with the Palm Profile on Palm's servers. The purpose of a "Secure Full Erase" is for when you wish to sell or otherwise dispose of your phone and you want to ensure that no one can use file recovery tools to retrieve the data you stored on your phone. You can then, of course, use your Palm Profile to log in on a different (replacement) webOS device and pull down your Palm Profile data to the new device. (This, of course, will only pull down stuff that is stored in the profile--not stuff stored on the flash drive of the phone.)

All clear now?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post
    I did a secure full erase, but all my contacts and apps from my palm profile were intact...
    Ditto.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah after I tried it, i signed into my palm profile and everything was recovered. I wonder why "Matt" lied to me. He's a Lier! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Yeah after I tried it, i signed into my palm profile and everything was recovered. I wonder why "Matt" lied to me. He's a Lier! haha
    Haha! I think Matt didn't have an official answer in his script, so he pulled an answer out of "thin air".
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Matt knows his stuff. :P

Glad you weren't dead in the water though.
  9.    #9  
    I think Matt should be fired or update his script haha. Aren't these guys in India btw?
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palm has outsourced their helpdesk to an overseas shop, but like so many other "bone-headed" things the company has done over the years, it isn't helping their image.

But I digress, that's another issue. I'm glad you have the answers you need.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

11.    #11  
    I know with comcast live chat support they are located in the philippines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I don't think "Matt" knows what he's talking about, entirely.

Flash memory, just like magnetic hard drives, stores data in a way that can be recovered with the proper tools. If you perform a typical "erase" procedure, what normally happens is that the operating system merely adjusts an allocation table such that the OS will think the space is no longer occupied with data. Thus, the system will "see" the disk as empty. This is what happens with a "quick format" on a hard drive.

A Full Erase wipes the flash partition but only does so by overwriting the file allocation table. A "Secure Full Erase" not only overwrites the file allocation table, but also overwrites all the remaining sectors on the flash drive with random data. With magnetic media it is necessary to perform this overwrite several times so that the bits are sufficiently randomized making the data "unrecoverable".

This all happens on the phone's flash drive and has nothing to do with the Palm Profile on Palm's servers. The purpose of a "Secure Full Erase" is for when you wish to sell or otherwise dispose of your phone and you want to ensure that no one can use file recovery tools to retrieve the data you stored on your phone. You can then, of course, use your Palm Profile to log in on a different (replacement) webOS device and pull down your Palm Profile data to the new device. (This, of course, will only pull down stuff that is stored in the profile--not stuff stored on the flash drive of the phone.)

All clear now?
    Nice answer !!!
    Thread resuscitation!

Simple overwrite: 1 pass
    DOD 5520.22-m: 3 passes
    NSA: 7 passes
    Gutmann: 35 passes

And part of Palm Support is blissfully ignorantly located in Argentina.