1.    #1  
    So I was at a concert the other night, and 1.4 came out just in time so I could take video. So i took about 5 one-minute long videos, and my Pre died in 30 minutes. Anyone else's battery being drained by video?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    So you were out, updated your phone, and then began recording video all without recharging and expected a few hours of battery life?
    I was at Universal Studies yesterday with the family, and took at least 20 minutes of video while on the studio tour. I started at about 60% remaining (which was already pretty good for that time of the day), and still had about 40% remaining when I was done taking the video.

So, in short, no, I didn't find video to be terribly battery-draining--at least, no more than I would expect. I certainly _don't_ expect video to use less battery than any other intensive task.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    So you were out, updated your phone, and then began recording video all without recharging and expected a few hours of battery life?
    no. the update was realeased friday night. i downloaded it friday night. concert was saturday night. it charged for atleast 14 hours straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanhockey4 View Post
    no. the update was realeased friday night. i downloaded it friday night. concert was saturday night. it charged for atleast 14 hours straight.
    Is it possible 3G reception was bad at the concert as well. I find that searching for a signal when there is spotty or unstable coverage, is a quick way to drain a battery. Airplane Mode next time?
    I knew someone would find something else to complaint about...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I knew someone would find something else to complaint about...lol
    A complaint? How is this a complaint? The OP had an actual question regarding others experience with 1.4, video recording and battery life. Where's the complaint? I know some here are quick on the troll trigger, but if this registers as a complaint, we (Pre/Pixie owners...does anyone really own a Pixie?) are becoming more apologetic, fanish Stepfords than Apple *******.
    Quote Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
    A complaint? How is this a complaint? The OP had an actual question regarding others experience with 1.4, video recording and battery life. Where's the complaint? I know some here are quick on the troll trigger, but if this registers as a complaint, we (Pre/Pixie owners...does anyone really own a Pixie?) are becoming more apologetic, fanish Stepfords than Apple *******.
    You either got your ******* or your trolls in this section. It's why I mostly lurk around in the homebrew section cause it's always bickering here.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    what's happening to this place? Personal opinions, questions, real life experiences or anything with the hint of negativity ends with accusations of trolling. This is a discussion board so why all the hostility towards people trying to have a discussion?

anyway, I took about 15min video and it used about 40% of my battery. That's not a horrible amount because it's rare to actually take that much video in one day with a phone so I can live with that.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    did u really think that a video cam function wouldn't drain the battery?
    What did you do after recording the video?

On Sunday I was on a run, recorded a minute and a half of video (battery was at 62%) which translated to ~50MB of data. I then told it to upload the video both to Facebook & Youtube. The Pre died about 40 minutes later.

But what caused it? I'd have to test, but I'm more apt to say uploading 100MB of data did it, rather than the recorder app. Next time around what I'm going to do is turn off the network (since I don't need email notifications while running) and see if the drain is the same.

There are just other issues that can cause battery drain is all. But when you think about it, you had the camera ON for 5 minutes straight. That's gotta be a power drain. Also, do you have the video LED patch installed with the LED on? More drain.

Greg
  12.    #12  
    1. Not complaining. I love my pre and this is the first thing thats been bugging me.
    2. I was roaming so I guess that would have effected the battery.
    3. KJ78, honestly, no. On other phones I've had I could take video all day without losing battery.
    4. gchance, after recording, I threw the card away and turned my screen off. And no, no patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by gchance View Post
    What did you do after recording the video?

On Sunday I was on a run, recorded a minute and a half of video (battery was at 62%) which translated to ~50MB of data. I then told it to upload the video both to Facebook & Youtube. The Pre died about 40 minutes later.

Greg
    whoa!

I dont know about you, but the uploading part was definitely the most intensive task out of that whole story.

I tried uploading a video without a wifi connection (video at about 1 min 45 sec) and it never uploaded, it gave me an upload error. It most likely timed out, I thought.

I turned wifi on and proceeded to upload again. It uploaded in less than 10 seconds successfully.

That will drain your battery and most likely wont upload successfully solely on a 3G connection; its just not fast enough for that, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanhockey4 View Post
    1. Not complaining. I love my pre and this is the first thing thats been bugging me.
    2. I was roaming so I guess that would have effected the battery.
    3. KJ78, honestly, no. On other phones I've had I could take video all day without losing battery.
    4. gchance, after recording, I threw the card away and turned my screen off. And no, no patches.
    Roaming kills your battery.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    taking videos has no effect on my battery.. I love my still original pre.. It's the best built phone I have ever owned.
    Yesterday, I activated the video recorder application, took a video, but didn't shut down the application (the card was left open). The phone went into sleep mode, and when I checked it a short while later, the battery level was down from ~90+% to 33%. I then shut the application--within a short time later it was down to 11%. I rebooted the phone and the split second before it shut down, I saw an image from the camera, as if the camera was still attempting to acquire images. I also saw that "camera" was still running (according to Jstop) and I manually deleted the process. This seemed to slow the battery drain.
    So, I'm not sure how to properly shut down the video/camera process, but it looked to me that the camera was still active, creating major battery drain.