Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Since I have updated to WebOS 1.4 I cannot type long text messages anymore. I have counted the amount of characters that I can type before the app does not allow more characters to be typed. 160 characters was the limit - which is also the limit of one SMS.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $SMS$ $standard$ $can$ $split$ $up$ $long$ $messages$ $into$ $smaller$ $parts$ $which$ $will$ $be$ $joined$ $at$ $the$ $receivers$ $end$ $into$ $one$ $long$ $message$ $again$ - $making$ $the$ $splitting$ $up$ $process$ $invisible$ $to$ $the$ $user$. $That$ $also$ $worked$ $prior$ $to$ $the$ $update$ $to$ $1$.$4$, $because$ $I$ $have$ $sent$ $plenty$ $SMS$ $messages$ $that$ $were$ $longer$ $than$ $160$ $characters$.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the Messaging app?

...Trekkie
    no perhaps it is a network specific thing?
    I just tested and it works fine for me. I can type long messages and it gets broken up.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    My long messages get broken up into 2 when I go over 160 also. Using Sprint (if that matters at all)
    It's actually the phone that splits up the messages, not the SMS standard. 160 is the limit for SMS.

That said, I have no problem going past 160 characters and getting the '2' notification that the message will be split when it's sent on a Sprint Pre.
    160+ characters works fine here (Sprint Pre). It gets broken up into two messages.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    works fine, sprint pre
    Mine works fine; O2 (UK) pre
    Also works fine for me on Sprint. I also use the SMS Character Counter patch.
    Works fine for me on Sprint
    Yeah, 160 is the standard SMS size. I'm on Verizon and it'll split the message up for me.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My bad! I simply forgot to replace the "CarrierNetworkSettings.db3" file with my own custom one, which contains the correct information.

Sorry to have bothered you

...Trekkie
    Guys can you please help.

I had some small problems with my old WebOS...

Well I have Tele2 operator and it is listed in: CarrierNetworkSettings.db3.

Problem was I didn't want Roaming to be automatic, and when I disable it searching network was endless

Friend took O2 card and I wanted to unlock APP store so I made erase with Doctor ..

But now I can't write more then 160 chars in my SMS,..

I did install few patches on old OS and now in new 1.4 ...

Usually when I pass 160 mark it says (2), if I pass 320 (he puts 3), now it is RED X !

I checked: CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 but not sure what I have to change if I have to change, its same like most operators ...

And it worked before ?

Is there patch for it what I have to do step by step if somebody has will to explain, thanks.

What I want ?

- be able to type more then 160 chars in 1 SMS
    - count of SMS messages that I typed in "1" message
    - be able to delete text from sms that I for instance wrote in reply to somebody, now every time I go to that person I see text that I put down, and I don't know how to delete that text except 1 char by 1 char (I wrote reply but I don't want to send it, I want to delete it, how)?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kova; 05/13/2010 at 10:13 AM.
    I'm having the same problem unfortunately.
    On my Pre, its locked to O2 but I'm using RSC. I was previously able to type past the 160 characters on 1.3.5.2 but going up to 1.4.1 screwed it up.
    Then I tried a sprint webdoctor 1.4 version and its the same.
    Basically the typing stops when I reach 160 characters.

Still can't get data to work either. I have got a nice custom networkcarrier.db3 file though. Can someone host one for us to use?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The Big Red won't let me type more than 160 characters in a text..

So I've installed the Character Count patch so I always know where I'm at in the text and if I need to sum things up more efficiently..
    No I dont whant char counter t tell me where I am. I want it like before. So I can write long sms and my phone to split it. Please help. It happened again. I just started preware,installed gps patch and sms cant go past 160 mark pretty anoying...