1.    #1  
    Whenever I get an email or text, the button on the front of the Pre blinks. I am thinking this is what is draining the battery A LOT. Is there a way to shut it off?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    This is a new feature of 1.4. You can turn it off by going into Screen & Lock, scrolling to the bottom and setting Blink Notifications off.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgus13 View Post
    Whenever I get an email or text, the button on the front of the Pre blinks. I am thinking this is what is draining the battery A LOT. Is there a way to shut it off?
    No offense friend (seriously), but I think this thread should be a sticky just because of the shear irony of it.

Just for a little history, there has been code in the Javascript for the phone app that provided this function since the Pre was introduced, but it was commented out so it didn't function. Enabling it (removing the comment tags) was one of the first "hacks" that people did to their phone. For 9 months now, there has been a constant chorus of "why doesn't Palm just enable it, since it's there?"

Now they finally implement it (though I think they made some changes from the original rem'd out code") and we see your post.

I think it's a classic example of why Palm should be cautious as to how many things they had to the core functionality - there are too many different tastes to suit everyone.

However, as has been pointed out, it's pretty easy to disable the function.
    Much
    easier than enabling the non-function was...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No offense friend (seriously), but I think this thread should be a sticky just because of the shear irony of it.

Just for a little history, there has been code in the Javascript for the phone app that provided this function since the Pre was introduced, but it was commented out so it didn't function. Enabling it (removing the comment tags) was one of the first "hacks" that people did to their phone. For 9 months now, there has been a constant chorus of "why doesn't Palm just enable it, since it's there?"

Now they finally implement it (though I think they made some changes from the original rem'd out code") and we see your post.

I think it's a classic example of why Palm should be cautious as to how many things they had to the core functionality - there are too many different tastes to suit everyone.

However, as has been pointed out, it's pretty easy to disable the function.
    Much easier than enabling the non-function was...
    Also, the amount of battery that is used to light a single LED is so small that turning it off would only stop an annoying blinking light. It would do nothing to increase battery life.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Also, the amount of battery that is used to light a single LED is so small that turning it off would only stop an annoying blinking light. It would do nothing to increase battery life.
    I was just about to post this so I'll quote it instead.