View Poll Results: Do you prefer using the palm profile or google for contacts and calendar?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Profile

0 0%
  • Google

17 94.44%
  • Doesn't matter

1 5.56%
  1.    #1  
    I want to use the calendar, but should I just use the on-board calendar, or use the google calendar and allow synergy to sync the calendar to my phone? I'd just like some opinions...
    "The Pre is nice..."
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Use google calendar. It is much easier to manage from the web than using the palm profile calendar. My wife and I both have Pre's and it allows us to share and edit from either/both phones. Also, the web application is much better for adding a bunch of activities. Lastly, in case your phone is not around you can always check the website.

100% google here.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The #1 reason I use google calendar is because I have had to doctor my phone a few times and it sucks having to replace all that calendar info. If I leave it all in google, it will just pull it all into my phone every time I need to doctor.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    +1

In general I think you want to "store" as little data on the phone as possible.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    +1

In general I think you want to "store" as little data on the phone as possible.
    Thanks, I was thinking same thing. Especially with alot of people having trouble with 1.4. Never know when I may have a problem with the update. None yet though.... Should I use google contacts too? I'd like to use synergy as much as possible and not have a lot of data on the phone as possible. What other parts of synergy should I be aware of using besides the calendar and contacts? Also, how can I get my hospital email to be pushed to my phone?
    "The Pre is nice..."
    It'd be interesting to see a poll of this. You may want to set one up pdiddyfan. You can still attach one even though the thread is started.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddyfan View Post
    I want to use the calendar, but should I just use the on-board calendar, or use the google calendar and allow synergy to sync the calendar to my phone? I'd just like some opinions...
    I strongly recommend Google calendar over simply using the Palm Profile calendar. You have access virtually anywhere you have a browser and internet connection. The ability to share different calendars is a big bonus. Basically, you just have many many more options.

My wife never used a calendaring system outside work, until she got the Pixi and began using Google Calendar.
    I don't really think there is a downside to using google calendar over going with the Palm Profile one. Unless you want to keep something from someone that could access your google calendar.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    google for me!
    I definitely like the Google calendar. It is not as fast syncing as the desktop was but at least you have someplace to store your contacts that you cannot lose.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I use the Google calendar only because I can edit, view, modify stuff on my computer, someone else's ph and as well as my pre. I like the flexibility, if PALM made a web interface that I could use on the web I wouldn't mind using that and then use the on phone calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddyfan View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking same thing. Especially with alot of people having trouble with 1.4. Never know when I may have a problem with the update. None yet though.... Should I use google contacts too? I'd like to use synergy as much as possible and not have a lot of data on the phone as possible. What other parts of synergy should I be aware of using besides the calendar and contacts? Also, how can I get my hospital email to be pushed to my phone?
    OK, first, I'd say yes, use Google contacts as well. Cloud computing (in my opinion) is just the way to go.

That said, "not storing it on your phone" is not a valid reason. The Pre syncs from Google, it doesn't simply read it. The data is still stored on your phone, it's just a different table in the database. You don't save any room by using Google contacts and/or Calendar instead of the Pre's.

That said, I still think you're better off with an external account (Google, Exchange, etc) and pulling the external information into the Pre.

The answer to your question about your hospital email (I'm assuing "your hospital" is where you work?), your best bet is to talk to your IT department, and find out what options are available for external devices/clients to connect. Your preferences, in order, would probably bee Google/Exchange (and yes, there are commercial/educational/private entities using Google Domain Services that are gmail.com accounts), then IMAP, and then POP3. Basically, if they allow external clients to connect (home computers, iPhones, etc) chances are good that you can connect from the Pre.