1.    #1  
    I notice my battery life has improved since 1.4 when im NOT on Wifi...

however now when I'm on Wifi it seems my battery life drains VERY fast, yesterday I got home with my battery at 80%, when I checked my phone two hours later it was at 50%...and thats with no use from me...

Very strange...

I doctored my phone with the 1.4 doctor...so it's not anything lingering from the past...

those people who are noticing battery issues, do you guys mostly use Wifi? if so try without WiFi and see if that helps..
    i had the same problem after 1.3.5...i used to only use wifi when i was at home, and it saved me a lot of battery life over the 3g. I live in an area where i always have 4-5 bars of phone radio coverage + good data coverage, but wifi is faster. After 1.3.5, wifi would kill my battery very quickly. It seems better for me after 1.4. Try going into the wifi settings and turning the Keep Wifi On to "off" and see if that helps you.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post

however now when I'm on Wifi it seems my battery life drains VERY fast, yesterday I got home with my battery at 80%, when I checked my phone two hours later it was at 50%...and thats with no use from me...

Very strange...

I doctored my phone with the 1.4 doctor...so it's not anything lingering from the past...

those people who are noticing battery issues, do you guys mostly use Wifi? if so try without WiFi and see if that helps..
    What about the new sleep option in the WiFi menu?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a2thejay23 View Post

Very strange...

I agree when using wifi actively in 1.4 the battery now drains faster than EVDO, it used to be vice versa.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I usually have wifi on all the time and now my battery is draining incredibly fast. I had one phone call today, don't have any GPS apps running. No web surfing or playing games...nothing. And at 2:00 my battery was down to 16%! That's from a full battery at 8:00 this morning. What is going on??? I just turned off wifi. Hope that helps.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatti20 View Post
    What about the new sleep option in the WiFi menu?
    in 1.3.5.1 the WiFi was always on, even when the device went to sleep, and battery life was good....

I shouldnt have to toggle the new sleep option to turn the wifi radio off when the device goes to sleep to get the same battery life i had before when wifi was always on, that just doesnt make sense...

my guess is there is some glitch in the programming of the new sleep option which is causing extra drain, either that or they did something with the receiver power of the wifi radio to make it get stronger signal but results in way more drain on the battery..
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hi,

I use my Pre ONLY on Wifi. Wifi always on, GPS, BT, 3G always off. Thus I always make it thrue the day. 100% at 6:40 am and 25-15% at midnight. Depending on the usage (mainly in the evening).

With 1.4 I didn`t see any difference so far. BUT I already had 2 sudden incidents when my pre discharged very fast and got very hot. Both on 1.3.5.2!!! After a reset the pre worked all right.

The second time this happened, I deleted the login-data of my WIFI-Repeater at work, to force the pre not to switch between the 2 WIFI-Sport. (I have 2 WIFI-Spot within reach of my desk) I figured it might be a problem, when my Pre changes between those two. Since then (only 8 days) no more sudden power "drain" anymore. Hopefully this was the cause.

I have a chart of some "normal" working days and the first of this incidents as .jpg in an other forum. But since I am new to Precentral, I can`t post the image or link. If anyone wants to get the link (and may be post it here) send me an inbox message. The blue line in the chart was the first day it appeared and you can really see when I did reset my pre after the first dot, as it decreases "normal" after that point.

Yours

mgmft
    Last edited by mgmft; 03/03/2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: forgot something
    is it the wifi, i just noticed that when i have my phone plugged in charging from usb it drops, cant stay charged wile charging lol ***
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    FYI.... There is a major bug with Wifi on 1.4!

Several Pre users including myself have experienced loss of data coverage when wifi is turned ON.....

Last night i turned on wifi, as soon as i started to send out emails i got errors, it would not let me! Then i turned wifi off and bam! it worked.
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    I don't think I've had enough time to tell. I have a different schedule every day and different locations. Some have wifi; some don't. I think it takes a week or so to determine if battery life is better or not.

So far, mine seems better.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I also think it is much too early to state that it is better or not. The next days will show. As soon as I have some more "data" for my chart and I have the rights to post a picture, I`ll post it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I am on WiFi most of the day (home and work) and my battery life is fine: I get around 40-50% at the end of the work day.

Also tried only EV at work, seemed to drain a bit faster, but not a huge difference.
    With 1.4 I see the same behavior as 1.3.5: no exceptional battery drain .
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    why do we always have to discuss battery issues instead the industry develops finally great batteries?
    Hmm. This is odd. I've been having bad battery issues too but I'm not so sure it is exclusively due to WiFi. The oddest thing to happen since 1.4 is that I usually charge my phone before bed, when fully charged, I put it in Airplane mode. I usually wake up with a %100 to %98 charge. The other day, after updating, I woke up to 20% charge! It happened today too. I don't know what to think of this though. Anyone else notice this?
    the wifi problems seem to be router based. I use the new sleep option so I don't have to enable and disable wifi all the time, but since 1.3.5 battery life @ home is crap and excellent @ work, all due to the wifi networks
    Just did a Battery Monitor test with wifi "on" with my Pre idle for 3 hours, .92 per hour!
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galenb View Post
    Hmm. This is odd. I've been having bad battery issues too but I'm not so sure it is exclusively due to WiFi. The oddest thing to happen since 1.4 is that I usually charge my phone before bed, when fully charged, I put it in Airplane mode. I usually wake up with a %100 to %98 charge. The other day, after updating, I woke up to 20% charge! It happened today too. I don't know what to think of this though. Anyone else notice this?
    Hi, in the german Preforum.de there was someone else, who had this problem.
    Last edited by mgmft; 03/05/2010 at 12:30 AM.