1.    #1  
    Does anyone know where the ambient light sensor is physically located on the Palm Pre (not Plus, if it matters)? The only information I can find is "front corner of the screen bezel", which is a bit ambiguous. Thanks.
    To the right of the ear piece, I think you can sometimes see it if you hold the phone in the right light.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am not sure if this is accurate, but I asked the manager at my local sprint store and he said it is the speaker thing (not sure what to call it) at the top on the front of the phone. He said you need to clean it occasionally with a toothpick and hand sanitizer. He does not use a pre but said he had training on it.
    Upper right zone, over the screen, to the right of the speakerphone. Just dial any free-to-call number, and start hovering your finger over the top part of the phone, over the screen; when your finger is over the sensor, you'll see the screen turning off. Bingo!
    Quote Originally Posted by manueljaime View Post
    Upper right zone, over the screen, to the right of the speakerphone. Just dial any free-to-call number, and start hovering your finger over the top part of the phone, over the screen; when your finger is over the sensor, you'll see the screen turning off. Bingo!
    That would not be the ambient light sensor, that is a proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is so that when you put the phone to your ear it turns the touch screen off so you do not accidentally dial additional numbers, start apps, etc.

I am not even sure that the Pre has an ambient light sensor since you can adjust the brightness of the screen yourself. The whole purpose of an ambient light sensor would be to increase/decrease the screen brightness with a decrease/increase in the amount of available ambient light.
  6.    #6  
    According to WebOS Internals, at least, the Pre has both an ambient light sensor and an IR proximity sensor:

Ambient Light Sensor - WebOS Internals
    IR Proximity Sensor - WebOS Internals

However, I'm going to do a variation of the finger test to try to determine it conclusively.